Hello all, I was just asked to do a Baptism for two children and was asked if my Baptism will be recognized in the Catholic church? The mother is concerned if the children will have problems as they get older and make their First communion. She is planning the Baptism to take place in a Banquet hall and have reception there as well. Priest will not go to hall.  

The politics of faith. Why can we not go back to the apostles who never attended seminary yet wrote the New Testament? I can understand the Corporate Church not recognizing ones baptism by a believer but God accepts such baptisms because all who believe and strive to keep His Commandments is a priest of God.

It is not as simple as the answers you have been given, but since the ULC has no set standards for how to perform baptism, the Catholic Church will likely not recognize baptisms performed by ULC minister. It is possible where there is an established local ULC church with stricter standards.

A little info http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/why-does-the-church-recognize-protestant-baptism-if-protestantism-has-no-valid-priest

Edited by mererdog
On 8/30/2016 at 1:06 PM, mererdog said:

It is not as simple as the answers you have been given, but since the ULC has no set standards for how to perform baptism, the Catholic Church will likely not recognize baptisms performed by ULC minister. It is possible where there is an established local ULC church with stricter standards.

A little info http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/why-does-the-church-recognize-protestant-baptism-if-protestantism-has-no-valid-priest

I've actually heard a Catholic priest once say that just because a Christian baptizes another person, it doesn't make that person a Christian, unless that Christian doing the baptizing were Catholic. It's all or nothing with the RCC.

Not at all what I feel the bible actually teaches. But as I am neither Catholic, nor an expert on the bible, maybe it's not for me to say.

Edited by Key
misspelled a word.
1 hour ago, Key said:

I've actually heard a Catholic priest once say that just because a Christian baptizes another person, it doesn't make that person a Christian, unless that Christian doing the baptizing were Catholic. It's all or nothing with the RCC.

Priests often say things that contradict official church doctrine or dogma. Partly because they sometimes disagree with the church and partly because they sometime's don't know what the church's official position actually is. Because the church is so hierarchical, however, you can go over a local priest's head.

On 9/2/2016 at 3:20 AM, mererdog said:

Priests often say things that contradict official church doctrine or dogma. Partly because they sometimes disagree with the church and partly because they sometime's don't know what the church's official position actually is. Because the church is so hierarchical, however, you can go over a local priest's head.

Which I find presents other problems. Hierarchical orders often place larger obstacles to maintain their control. So while you may present a logical question for a logical answer, it may be followed by directions to another branch to solve, which directs to another, and so forth.

Or the one over the priest's head might answer, but might be found incorrect, as well. To which, one goes through the process again, or go over that person's head, too.

So, you're either trapped in a loop, or in "holy" hell to find an answer.

• 1 month later...

It's not just the Roman Catholic Church... not even other Protestant churches recognize baptisms from other Protestant churches. I've been baptized 3 times (as an infant, as a teenager, and as a young adult) in three different denominations.

There's a story I heard long ago....

There was a man that had the reputation of being a notorious drunk and degenerate.

Early one Monday morning, a preacher of a Baptist church saw the man walking down the street singing hymns. Noticing that he was clean shaven and sober, he inquired as to what had made such a great change in his life.

He answered, "Last night as I was walking down Main Street, I heard the most beautiful singing I had ever heard in my life coming out of a church. I felt drawn to go in, and after listening to the preacher speak, I accepted the Lord as my Savior, was baptized, and all my sins were washed away!" 

"There are three churches on Main Street." said the preacher. "Which one did you attend?"

"I'm not real sure," said the new convert. "It's not a real big church," he said, "but it's doors are always open, and when I went in, I felt welcomed. After listening to the singing and preaching, I confessed my sins, was baptized, and all my sins were washed away!"

"Well," said the preacher, "I know I didn't see you at my church last night. So that means you went to either the Methodist church or the Presbyterian church. And though I'm glad to see the change in your life, I'm sorry to say your sins haven't been washed away."

"Yes they were!" exclaimed the man. "I confessed my sins. I accepted Jesus as my Savior. I was baptized. And all my sins were washed away!"

"I'm sorry," said the Baptist preacher. "You may have confessed your sins and accepted Jesus as your Savior, but your sins weren't washed away.... They were dry-cleaned."

Edited by Songster
  • 1 month later...

Greetings to you my sisters and brothers,

I do believe that there is a little confusion here about what churches will except whose baptism.  

It is important to understand (not agree with, but understand) that baptism means different things in different denominations.  In churches that practice infant baptism, (like the Catholic church and my own denomination, the United Methodists) as long as the child was baptised by another Christian (and yes indeed the Catholic church does admit, though grudgingly that most Protestant churches are Chrisitan), and was  baptised using the Trinitarian formula (I baptise you in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) that baptism will be considered valid.  Churches that practice infant baptism see that act as a free gift of Grace.  

On the other hand, there are some denominations and independent churches, that practice believers baptism.  To them, the act of Baptism is something that a person must desire for themselves, and be able to make the decision for themselves to accept Christ and desire to unite with a local congregation.  In a church of that nature, the baptism you perform would not be considered valid, nor for that matter would the baptism of anyone who had been baptised as a infant.

If you do indeed perform the baptism you have been requested to perform, I would be very sure to provide a certificate of baptism for the parents.  Preferably, one that clearly states that the child in question was baptised in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Your brother in Christ,

Rev. Calli