The Atheist Evangalist

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/14/2016 at 6:51 AM, Pete said:

As I said the more you talk to Dan the more you get what we call nonsense and occasionally  you get nastiness and some wish he would take a nap. This topic is about Atheism and not what he thinks of Jesus or what he has to say on gods behalf.   I personally do not think Dan speaks on his gods behalf, more like Dan thinks he is god but does not want to admit. 

Maybe.  Dan does use a lion for an avatar.  Think Narnia.  It is God sybolism

:mellow:

21 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah! Thròw the bombs and say it has nothing to do with you.

If you were paying attention, I  addressed everything in detail and answered every question. Your remarks on the other hand, list no specifics, just rude comments and allegations void of substance.  Here's an example of  bomb throwing; "Dan your deluded about yourself. Rather egotistical I think".  Your negative opinion was reference by nothing,  which makes it nothing more than snide commentary geared towards attacking my character. So as previously stated, I've made my point and will move on.

7 hours ago, Pete said:

You never admit that you say things that are wrong do you Dan.

I just wrote; "Comparing the maturity level of others to schoolgirls was unnecessary".. And I just wrote in another thread; "I've been guilty of mischaracterizing  others, usually by my own mistaken assumptions, rather than anything they've said".  Looks like you were wrong... argument over. 

Now, how about  putting that shoe on the other foot and listing a couple recent instances where you admitted to saying things that were wrong.  

9 hours ago, Pete said:

There you go again Dan. 

You wrote that I never admit to saying anything wrong. so I gave you 2 specific examples where I did. So yes, 'there I go again'  proving another one of your  false accusations. 

I also reversed  your accusation and challenged you to show where you ever admitted saying something wrong.. I got zip.. Game over. :)

On 7/21/2016 at 1:31 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

What is an Atheist evangelist?  Aside from an Atheist being out of the closet, what does the term actually mean?

Its an oxymoron. The definition of Evangelist; "is a person who seeks to convert others to the Christian faith, especially by public preaching".  So I guess an evangelical atheist is the opposite; a person who actively tries to convert religious people to atheism.

"An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too. Not to be confused with normal atheists/agnostics, who for the most part just don't talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their prerogative." 

"An atheist that combats religion as zealously as evangelicals thrust their religious beliefs on others."

"An atheist who is so committed to his own doctrine of the non existence of God that he believes he holds to no doctrine at all and has thus been consumed by his actual philosophical dogma, cause, identity, and world view."

"An individual who is actually egocentric and arrogant enough to believe that they can disprove god's existence. They harbor intense hatred and resentment for all religious organizations. But reserve most of their bile for any Christian who would dare to publicly espouse his beliefs. And so begins the crusade for justice and reason. Someone has to reach out to these ignorant believers. To open their eyes to how meaningless life really is."

Quotes taken from;  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=evangelical+atheist

I would not say that arrogance only belongs to fanatical atheism.  It also belongs to some religions who hate atheists  and cannot accept a person has a full right to be an atheist.  They treat them with hostility and demand they follow a religion.  I guess if religions can be over zealous then why not atheism also.

On 7/23/2016 at 2:48 AM, Dan56 said:

Its an oxymoron. The definition of Evangelist; "is a person who seeks to convert others to the Christian faith, especially by public preaching".  So I guess an evangelical atheist is the opposite; a person who actively tries to convert religious people to atheism.

"An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too. Not to be confused with normal atheists/agnostics, who for the most part just don't talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their prerogative." 

"An atheist that combats religion as zealously as evangelicals thrust their religious beliefs on others."

"An atheist who is so committed to his own doctrine of the non existence of God that he believes he holds to no doctrine at all and has thus been consumed by his actual philosophical dogma, cause, identity, and world view."

"An individual who is actually egocentric and arrogant enough to believe that they can disprove god's existence. They harbor intense hatred and resentment for all religious organizations. But reserve most of their bile for any Christian who would dare to publicly espouse his beliefs. And so begins the crusade for justice and reason. Someone has to reach out to these ignorant believers. To open their eyes to how meaningless life really is."

Quotes taken from;  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=evangelical+atheist

Where even to begin?   Keep up the good work Dan.  You are doing much more for Atheism than I am.

:whist:

• 5 weeks later...

This has been an interesting read, and I am late to the game. What is missing here, it seems to me, is free will. I went to a very metaphysical, multidimensional, holistic health school. I was in the same class with "born agains," Catholics, Jews, agnostics and atheists. I had spent all my life in progressive and fundamental religions, supposedly based on Christian Love. I, by the way, am a Christian. However, I experienced the most love, the most love without conditions I have ever experienced by this group of non-judgmental fellow students. I don't think the problem lies in many different people having many different belief systems.

I think the problem lies with projecting, unasked for preaching, one way or another, as if to indoctrinate the listener. If someone feels the need to share their personal belief, they at least should ask the other person or people, if they would like to hear what he/she has to say. People ought to have free will to speak, and free will to listen or consider points.

Another problem is, and has always been pride. When we have whatever opinion we come up with as our own, we can be rudely offensive as if we have all the answers, and others don't. Maybe I'm speaking from my own past mistakes. If I had not changed my mind on ideas and concepts I never thought I would, I would not be saying this. But people only know, what they know, when they know it, of course, but that matters.

I know, this is all judgment, and that's a judgment too.

Peace,

RL

We might have completely differing beliefs, but all of us are animated by love and life and spirit, like Namaste, "The divine in me recognizes the divine in you," because we are all living human beings. Don't get stuck in semantics. We might use different words for my terminology. Others might say, "The energy in me recognizes the energy in you."

I understand what you are saying.  I have come to the realization that the belief system, or lack thereof, is not what is important about the people.  Rather it is the people themselves that are important, and the actions they take in the world at large.  A preacher who stands on the pulpit expounding against homosexuals and telling his flock how evil such people are is doing more harm than good.  A preacher who stands in the soup kitchen, cooking or serving or even simply trying to comfort those who are in such a position as to have to ask for help, is doing more good.  Doesn't matter the denomination.  Those of us under the atheist label as well can do harm or good.  We can stand on the corner of the street and decry all Christians, as Anti Theists.  Decry all religions, for that matter.  But if we aren't actively doing something for the community we live in, if all we have to accomplish is hate, and spreading hate, then we haven't done more good than harm.  Posting a billboard saying everyone can enjoy Christmas without believing in God...I tend to view this as a good thing.  That's probably a personal value that I am applying, but I have heard atheists say they are uncomfortable attending family events because of a prayer, or some other such religious connotation intrudes.  I have never had this issue, I simply don't bow my head.  But perhaps some atheist who is uncomfortable with such will see a sign saying you don't need God to have a good Christmas, and realize they aren't the only one going through something.  Maybe it will provide inspiration.  Since the sign does not denigrate Christians, I see no harm in it.  That's merely an example, and I am sure there are more.  

KThe problem with the Christmas without God thing is simply that it is sacrilege. Whenever you do not treat what someone considers sacred with what they consider due reverence, you are probably going to provoke a strong negative emotional reaction. Whether you refuse to salute a flag, you wash your feet it the holy water, you insult Ghandi, or you say the Bible is just a book. For those of us who don't really hold anything sacred, that reaction can be hard to empathize with.