I'm not a theologian. But I think any virtue can be a vice depending on the context. I think it may be possible for vices To be virtues. Any time a person is drawn toward something, that something should be examined for the potential of benefit or detriment. We call being drawn to benefit , inspired and being drawn to detriment temptation, but what is beneficial and what is detrimental can change depending on the context or circumstance. 

Thats what hat I think anyway. 

I can understand that stance from the Christian perspective, but from the outside it's a very scary thing to hear, you know?  I have been debating with someone locally in a chat type of room thing(not the most technically literate person, sorry), and they sound scarily like they are about one step from being the next guy in the news because it's "in the bible, therefore good".

Hi again, So this is my own personal take on virtue , and i hope i don't offend anyone. 

I think of virtue as that which is good for the person. Usually we know theses personal goods from natural law.  I have to kind of proviso that, because the nature of human is different from the nature of the others we share this universe with. and what is a personal good for humans isn't necessarily a personal good for  other beings.  i think virtues are like the health food of the soul. like any food - a certain amount of moderation needs to be practiced. 

in ancient Greek philosophy 4 virtues are prudence, justice, temperance, and courage. these are good helpful values for an individual, but it's especially meant to help a person be part of a society. People are meant to be part of a society, it's in our nature. so these ancient virtues demonstrate that. for example an individual living a hermit life would have little use for justice or courage in everyday life. with no one else around, justice is moot and actually courage can be a detriment in a solitary life, a hermit would be better served with self preservation over courage. but you know, humans are best in a social group, and the virtues reflect that. 
but that social nature can be come a vice when taken to extreme when service to society starts to outweigh the service of the individual.  too much of a good thing is a bad thing. even virtues have to be used with temperence. 

In christianty, they use the 4 ancient greek virtues and 3 more - faith hope and love. again good for individuals, great in a social setting. bad if practiced beyond the point of reasonableness.  

as always - imho  

18 hours ago, Frank76 said:

Hi again, So this is my own personal take on virtue , and i hope i don't offend anyone. 

I think of virtue as that which is good for the person. Usually we know theses personal goods from natural law.  I have to kind of proviso that, because the nature of human is different from the nature of the others we share this universe with. and what is a personal good for humans isn't necessarily a personal good for  other beings.  i think virtues are like the health food of the soul. like any food - a certain amount of moderation needs to be practiced. 

in ancient Greek philosophy 4 virtues are prudence, justice, temperance, and courage. these are good helpful values for an individual, but it's especially meant to help a person be part of a society. People are meant to be part of a society, it's in our nature. so these ancient virtues demonstrate that. for example an individual living a hermit life would have little use for justice or courage in everyday life. with no one else around, justice is moot and actually courage can be a detriment in a solitary life, a hermit would be better served with self preservation over courage. but you know, humans are best in a social group, and the virtues reflect that. 
but that social nature can be come a vice when taken to extreme when service to society starts to outweigh the service of the individual.  too much of a good thing is a bad thing. even virtues have to be used with temperence. 

In christianty, they use the 4 ancient greek virtues and 3 more - faith hope and love. again good for individuals, great in a social setting. bad if practiced beyond the point of reasonableness.  

as always - imho  

I can fully appreciate that the virtues are meant for humans separate from animals, and to help us interact with society.  It makes sense, to me.

I don't think you have to worry overly much about offending anyone.  Some of us are easily offended, others are not.  But ultimately, each of us is responsible for our own reactions to what someone has to say, rather I should say RESPONSES, instead of reactions.  I think it summed up by Temperance, one of the virtues listed.  Thanks for your input! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think virtue is a means to an end - a tool used to get where you want to be. Vice is anything that takes you away from where you want to be.

A virtue can a tool for  spiritual growth, or social growth or personal growth.  Any action that benefits you can be considered a virtue.  

Like I said before, an action can be virtuous, and take you where you want to be but can become a vice if continuing to do that action starts to take you away from your goal. 

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to think of virtue as the path.  The means, not the end.  It is behavior that we take living in the moment, understanding that a right end cannot be had without a virtuous path.  It is virtuous to support my family, but I would not view it as virtuous to support them by robbing or killing others.  Maybe instead of separating the means and the end, they must both flow together, must both be had through the auspices of virtue, in order for it to truly be virtuous.  Just some thoughts.  

On 6/22/2016 at 5:25 AM, Dan56 said:

Virtue is defined as morally good behavior or character.  I view God as good,  so whatever God says is virtuous.

I understand your perspective.  God is good because God said that God is good.  At least,the Scriptures say that God is good.  No matter how evil God's actions are; as stated in those same scriptures.

:mellow:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl