Recommended Posts

With ULC places of worship few or far between, does anyone attend other churches?

I was married in a Methodist Church and still attend occasionally, plus now and then a Unitarian church, but I must admit I also feel great spiritual awareness when I'm out walking.

It would be interesting to know where some have or some still worship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rick,

I have attended the Quakers in the past but I cannot get to the meetings lately due to bad back pain issues. I like them as they never tell a person what to believe or that they should believe. The meetings are held in silence unless a person wants to say something short. There are members of many faiths and none faiths alike and all are welcome and take a role in running the church. A bit like the ULC in many ways or even the Unitarians. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rev Richard said:

With ULC places of worship few or far between, does anyone attend other churches?

I was married in a Methodist Church and still attend occasionally, plus now and then a Unitarian church, but I must admit I also feel great spiritual awareness when I'm out walking.

It would be interesting to know where some have or some still worship.

 

"Worship" is not part of my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also don't have a specific place.. 'Where' is not as important as 'who' I worship.. The church was never described as a place , but rather the many membered body of Christ (Romans 12:5). But we are encouraged to gather together to exhort one another (Hebrews 3:13). I suppose just as you choose a restaurant with good food, you also worship wherever  your fed? The group I'm most comfortable with meets in private homes and they have no name, but I haven't been there in quite a while.. I get most of my support, encouragement, and inspiration right here at ULC  :)....  Just kidding of course  :devil:

Edited by Dan56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

"Worship" is not something I do.

 

i knew someone else would say it better.i to do not worship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only god I worship is myself, however a few of the places where I feel a "spiritual" connection or atmosphere are: cemeteries, Gothic nightclubs, driving down the highway at night with the radio on, watching music videos in my room with the lights off and the air conditioning turned down low, at seashores or near rivers, outside on Halloween night, and in the intimate company of a lover :) 

Edited by Umbraedeus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mark 45 said:

i knew someone else would say it better.i to do not worship.

For me, it's like waking from a dream.  There is no going back.     :yes:

 

1 Corinthians 13:11 [Full Chapter]

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
 
:D
 
"An Atheist is someone who worships one less god than a Monotheist."
 
:D
Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually worship in the home, focusing my daily rites toward the Theoi and daimones that reside in the household, as well as the ancestral spirits of my family.  Occasionally I will also worship outdoors, pouring libations at a local park to the nymphai that reside in the area.  Currently I have no temples or groves at which to conduct worship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2016 at 6:13 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

For me, it's like waking from a dream.  There is no going back.     :yes:

 

1 Corinthians 13:11 [Full Chapter]

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
 
:D
 
"An Atheist is someone who worships one less god than a Monotheist."
 
:D

One can worship life and the experience of life and those we share it with. No deity necessary  (imo).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brother Kaman said:

One can enjoy life to its fullest but I can't picture anyone worshiping life, Pete.

 

But we can give praise to the energies and power of life we see all around us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2016 at 11:47 PM, Brother Kaman said:

One can enjoy life to its fullest but I can't picture anyone worshiping life, Pete.

 

If I do not believe in Life then I would not get up out of bed. I smile when I see the Sun, when I see a baby or a loved animal. I feel full of joy when I met with those I love or see a friend. I treasure my memories and have hopes and wishes in life. I treasure the beauty of nature. It may not be the kind that one does on their knees but  I worship life. It is what makes the pains of my body and sorrows worth the bearing. Life can be wonderful. Just wish youth and life was longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Pete said:

If I do not believe in Life then I would not get up out of bed. I smile when I see the Sun, when I see a baby or a loved animal. I feel full of joy when I met with those I love or see a friend. I treasure my memories and have hopes and wishes in life. I treasure the beauty of nature. It may not be the kind that one does on their knees but  I worship life. It is what makes the pains of my body and sorrows worth the bearing. Life can be wonderful. Just wish youth and life was longer.

And that's why people worship something beyond the here & now.. The beauty of nature are examples of better things to come. That's the hope anyhow, that youth and life are everlasting, and without all the garbage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it, Pete, loving something and worshiping it are two different concepts. I do, indeed love life.  I love my children and grandchildren but I do not worship any.  I cannot picture in MY mind anyone else doing so either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brother Kaman said:

The way I see it, Pete, loving something and worshiping it are two different concepts. I do, indeed love life.  I love my children and grandchildren but I do not worship any.  I cannot picture in MY mind anyone else doing so either.

Each to our own way :-

Encarta Dictionary- 

"worship [wúrship]
verb (3rd person present singular worships, present participle worshipping, past and past participle worshipped)
1. transitive and intransitive verb treat somebody or something as deity: to treat somebody or something as divine and show respect by engaging in acts of prayer and devotion
2. intransitive verb take part in religious service: to take part in a religious service
3. transitive verb love somebody deeply: to love, admire, or respect somebody or something greatly and perhaps excessively or unquestioningly

Microsoft® Encarta® 2007. © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."

 

I guess I mean it in the third way. A sunrise or sunset and nature can be awe inspiring and a very spiritual experience.(imo). 

What others think is up to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rev Richard said:

But we can give praise to the energies and power of life we see all around us.

Praise?  Sunshine and wind and such are not sentient.  They are wonderful and awe inspiring, but not aware.  The forces of Nature don't need praise.  Praise does not apply.   On the other hand, the forces of Nature can be held in "reverence."  This is a very different proposition.   IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now