Where do you worship

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, Dan56 said:

And that's why people worship something beyond the here & now.. The beauty of nature are examples of better things to come. That's the hope anyhow, that youth and life are everlasting, and without all the garbage. 

That sounds like a life without purpose.

What would you do for eternity?

Regards

DL

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:10 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Praise does not apply.   On the other hand, the forces of Nature can be held in "reverence."  

Indeed. We should not worship what cannot help but be what they or it is.

If we do that, we may as well worship all things and people because the world, and universe is always the best it can possibly be given all the conditions that brought all to this point in time.

We are always living in the best of all possible worlds.

Regards Buddy

DL

Edited by Gnostic Bishop

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Ex Nihilo said:

I worship God wherever I am. I read Morning an Evening Prayers most days. I try to get to church but its been a long time since I was near a faithful local congregation.

Faithful?

Jesus said that any that had real faith in him could do what he did and more.

It seems that either he was lying or there has never been a true believer.

Regards

DL

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:51 PM, scottedward said:

I sit on the floor at my home and repeatedly and quietly chant every Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon as a show of devotion to The All (or Our Source of Creation).

In the morning I spend time in silent prayer to my chosen god (also a gift from The All), offering my gratitude for the continued lives of my loved ones.  At night I also express my Hope that the hungry find food, the oppressed know justice, the helpless have support, those in pain receive comfort, and I selflessly offer my modest strength to those with a more urgent need for it.

I like this, but I hope you add in a bit of struggle against those who are directly doing evil, like most mainstream religions including Christianity and Islam do.

For the evils of those homophobic and misogynous religion to grow, all good people need do is nothing.

Regards

DL

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, scottedward said:

Rev Richard said

We should all find our own ways which suit us as individuals.

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, scottedward said:

Gnostic, for someone so anti-scripture, you're quite adept at sounding like an expert.  i liked Richard's answer, personally.  It was both open and clear-headed, and wouldn't you be just a little happier had all of us acted like that?

There is some wisdom in the bible if you read it the way a Gnostic Christian does.

Some individuals find ways that are quite immoral and to not care enough to try to help them find a better and moral path is not to follow the golden rule.

If you were on the wrong path, would you not want someone to point it out?

Oh. Here is wisdom from your bible, and you can even read it literally.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth. 

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards

DL

I find it amazing how often you quote the bible to point out it's God's evil...yet then turn around and quote the bible for why you do so.  If some of the source is evil, the entirety should be suspect, shouldn't it?

Edited by cuchulain

17 hours ago, Gnostic Bishop said:

If you worship bible God, tell us what you find compelling about a God who kills when he could cure just as easily?

To me, Yahweh is quite evil.

Regards

DL

In the spiritual sense, God has not killed anyone yet.. Death is a natural part of life in the flesh, we were all born to die. If God cured everyone, it would defeat the whole purpose of us being here. God is life, and without him, life does not and cannot exist. People who want to live, naturally worship the life giver. While some don't find this to be a compelling reason to worship the giver of all life, I find it unusual to refer to God as "evil". God is not evil, God is good, and God is love. Evil is simply the result of sin, and sin is our disobedience to God.

4 hours ago, Dan56 said:

In the spiritual sense, God has not killed anyone yet.. Death is a natural part of life in the flesh, we were all born to die. If God cured everyone, it would defeat the whole purpose of us being here. God is life, and without him, life does not and cannot exist. People who want to live, naturally worship the life giver. While some don't find this to be a compelling reason to worship the giver of all life, I find it unusual to refer to God as "evil". God is not evil, God is good, and God is love. Evil is simply the result of sin, and sin is our disobedience to God.

Well said!

7 hours ago, Dan56 said:

I thought spiritual death was the result of sin, and so many have suffered spiritual death because they were not followers?  This is something you have said before anyway.

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, cuchulain said:

I find it amazing how often you quote the bible to point out it's God's evil...yet then turn around and quote the bible for why you do so.  If some of the source is evil, the entirety should be suspect, shouldn't it?

Absolutely.

That is why this is in it.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

There is some wisdom in scriptures but most of it is lost on Christians because they do not know how to read or interpret it. That is not surprising as it is a consolidation of many older traditions.

Regards

DL

22 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I have re-read this thread.

A lot of the argument here involves the word -- "worship".  This word, "worship" has a lot of cultural baggage.

I suggest that -- to be in the presence of -- might raise fewer cultural hackles.  

If Yahweh was in my presence, I would love it as I have a bullet with his name on it.

All decent moral men do as all decent moral men would be well justified in killing such a poor and immoral God.

Regards

DL

Therein lies the problem.  If it is possible to have ANY flawed interpretation of the book, then it becomes possible that YOUR interpretation may be the flawed one.  I do appreciate the idea of testing your ideas.  But how do you test the ideas in the bible that you hold to?

14 hours ago, Dan56 said:

So murdering a body is not killing in the spiritual sense.

All murderers will love your words.

And you call yourself religious. What a joke.

Regards

DL

5 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

Therein lies the problem.  If it is possible to have ANY flawed interpretation of the book, then it becomes possible that YOUR interpretation may be the flawed one.  I do appreciate the idea of testing your ideas.  But how do you test the ideas in the bible that you hold to?

Logics, reason and the moral value of the tenet using the Golden Rule as my guide.

This is how the ancients formed their arguments and I think it works quite well.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about literal reading.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Even Christians are given that directive but as you can see from those here who say God is justified in his genocide of man and the murder of many innocents, they have not dared apply the Golden Rule to the actions of their genocidal God.

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets

Regards

DL

10 minutes ago, Gnostic Bishop said:

If Yahweh was in my presence, I would love it as I have a bullet with his name on it.

All decent moral men do as all decent moral men would be well justified in killing such a poor and immoral God.

Regards

DL

Would that be a silver bullet? What sort of bullet would one need to kill an Almighty God?:diablo:

14 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Lot's wife, transformed into a pillar of salt.

Noah's Flood.

The First Born of Egypt  and The Egyptian Army.

There were others.  This is what comes to mind.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

8 minutes ago, Brother Kaman said:

Would that be a silver bullet? What sort of bullet would one need to kill an Almighty God?:diablo:

All the Gods are created by the thinking and words of immoral men, by todays standards, and all the Gods must die by the thinking and words of moral men.

Have you noticed that Yahweh and Jesus are not promoted by moral men here and that it is the immoral men here who sing his praises? I have.

Regards

DL