Where do you worship

3 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

The way I see it, Pete, loving something and worshiping it are two different concepts. I do, indeed love life.  I love my children and grandchildren but I do not worship any.  I cannot picture in MY mind anyone else doing so either.

Maybe.  People who like to tan in the Sun are called "Sun worshipers."  It depends on usage and context.     :lol:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 1:12 PM, Rev Richard said:

With ULC places of worship few or far between, does anyone attend other churches?

I was married in a Methodist Church and still attend occasionally, plus now and then a Unitarian church, but I must admit I also feel great spiritual awareness when I'm out walking.

It would be interesting to know where some have or some still worship.

I have no need of worshiping anyone.

Why do you have a need to worship anyone?

Why are you an idol worshiper and if you need to pray/worship, why are you going to a church when Jesus himself said that you should closet yourself and pray in private?

Regards

DL

9 minutes ago, Gnostic Bishop said:

Why are you an idol worshiper and if you need to pray/worship, why are you going to a church when Jesus himself said that you should closet yourself and pray in private?

Regards

DL

As stated in the Gospels;  To be seen by others.     :lol:     :rolleyes:     :whist:

On 09/04/2016 at 2:09 AM, Gnostic Bishop said:

Regards

DL

As individuals we all choose our own path. Some find a need to worship weekly, monthly, much longer apart or perhaps not at all. What does draw people to worship is not only the strength they may get from the scriptures or sermons, but also from one another and maybe the companionship.

To me worship is not simply about giving praise, but being there for fellow humankind. It's like the question 'What is the church'. It may in its physical form be a structure, but in its existence is within each person. As an individual we are a church for the benefit of others.

As for places of worship, with no physical ULC church where I live, I am probably spiritually closest to the Unitarians who accept all beliefs and who have various groups such as a Peace Group. This being the case I offer Saturday morning ULC meetings instead of a place of worship, where inspiration can be drawn from each other and all matters discussed.

3 hours ago, Rev Richard said:

As individuals we all choose our own path. Some find a need to worship weekly, monthly, much longer apart or perhaps not at all. What does draw people to worship is not only the strength they may get from the scriptures or sermons, but also from one another and maybe the companionship.

To me worship is not simply about giving praise, but being there for fellow humankind. It's like the question 'What is the church'. It may in its physical form be a structure, but in its existence is within each person. As an individual we are a church for the benefit of others.

As for places of worship, with no physical ULC church where I live, I am probably spiritually closest to the Unitarians who accept all beliefs and who have various groups such as a Peace Group. This being the case I offer Saturday morning ULC meetings instead of a place of worship, where inspiration can be drawn from each other and all matters discussed.

It is good that you recognize the groupish or hivish gene that we all have.

That is what is mostly being satisfied by churches and mosques.

Why not just admit it without all the lies about the Gods?

Why not seek God the way Jesus taught without becoming idol worshipers?

That produces mental and moral growth instead of what we see in Christianity and Islam which have settled for immoral demiurges.

Why not do the intelligent thing instead of the Idol worship that Jesus condemned?

Regards

DL  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2016 at 10:14 AM, Rev Richard said:

In answer to the above 'Each to their own'. We should all find our own ways which suit us as individuals.

Extraordinary

On 4/10/2016 at 11:07 AM, Gnostic Bishop said:

A great way to dodge question.

That is not what your scriptures say but ok.

Regards

DL

Gnostic, for someone so anti-scripture, you're quite adept at sounding like an expert.  i liked Richard's answer, personally.  It was both open and clear-headed, and wouldn't you be just a little happier had all of us acted like that?

On 4/3/2016 at 0:12 PM, Rev Richard said:

With ULC places of worship few or far between, does anyone attend other churches?

I was married in a Methodist Church and still attend occasionally, plus now and then a Unitarian church, but I must admit I also feel great spiritual awareness when I'm out walking.

I sit on the floor at my home and repeatedly and quietly chant every Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon as a show of devotion to The All (or Our Source of Creation).

In the morning I spend time in silent prayer to my chosen god (also a gift from The All), offering my gratitude for the continued lives of my loved ones.  At night I also express my Hope that the hungry find food, the oppressed know justice, the helpless have support, those in pain receive comfort, and I selflessly offer my modest strength to those with a more urgent need for it.

Edited by scottedward

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, scottedward said:

Extraordinary

Gnostic, for someone so anti-scripture, you're quite adept at sounding like an expert.  i liked Richard's answer, personally.  It was both open and clear-headed, and wouldn't you be just a little happier had all of us acted like that?

Absolutely. That is what Gnostic Christianity preaches.

In our own way of course.

As a Universalist and a free thinking religion, we can think no other way.

Regards

DL

My "church" is Nature. The environments of civilization and human society are merely reflections of concepts we hold in our minds. We manifest those beliefs upon our surroundings and declare them to be reality, and they in turn influence our perception and further bind us to the illusions we have created. As I sit and play my flutes I learn to harmonize with the natural world and lose the desire to impose my will upon it. This sort of meditation can be accomplished anywhere, I just find it simpler and more efficient to distance myself from the the temporal distractions in which we tend to place our hopes and fears. Walking out into the forest is a symbolic gesture of relinquishing those attachments and abandoning expectations of what life "should" be. It cultivates a spirit that asks for nothing and allows itself to simply exist in peace, come rain or shine. It is in that place where I stop seeking for God that the boundaries of self dissolve and I become aware that God was with me all along. For myself, worshipping in the untamed wilds isn't so much about trying to contact some mystical spirit that resides in the universe, but in sweeping away the artificial constructs and internal dialogues which obscure the luminous mind.

All philosophies are mental fabrications. There has never been a single doctrine by which one could enter the true essence of things.” ~ Nāgārjuna

• 10 months later...
On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 1:12 PM, Rev Richard said:

Why on earth would a person want to worship anything?

Jesus preached to seek God, not become an idol worshiper.

Whatever you worship is just a figment or construct of what you see as an ideal in your own mind.

Why would you want to worship your own construct?

The above is why we Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers and even after my apotheosis, I set aside the God I found, as instructed by my God, and raise the bar of my expectations so as not to become an idol worshiper of the construct in my own head. 

Regards

DL