Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Pope Francis quote

Recommended Posts

“We have different cultures and religions, but we are brothers and we want to live in peace,” he said.

“All of us, together: Muslims, Hindi, Catholics, Copts, Evangelicals, but brothers, children of the same God,” the Pope added.

Pope Francis

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-washes-and-kisses-feet-of-muslim-hindu-and-christian-refugees-a6951771.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also says: "The Pope denounced Tuesday’s terrorist attacks in Brussels  as a “gesture of war”. So I doubt his comment was all-inclusive, it seems clear that Islamic terrorist aren't 'brothers' who want to live in peace.. I think the Pope was making a universal appeal for peace, but its also clear that the biblical God and Allah aren't the same God.. One God yes, but all brothers of the same God, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dan56 said:

It also says: "The Pope denounced Tuesday’s terrorist attacks in Brussels  as a “gesture of war”. So I doubt his comment was all-inclusive, it seems clear that Islamic terrorist aren't 'brothers' who want to live in peace.. I think the Pope was making a universal appeal for peace, but its also clear that the biblical God and Allah aren't the same God.. One God yes, but all brothers of the same God, no.

Judging Allah and Muslims by the actions of Islamist terrorists is exactly as honest, fair, and useful as judging the biblical God and Christians by the Spanish Inquisition.

Edited by mererdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2016 at 3:09 AM, Dan56 said:

It also says: "The Pope denounced Tuesday’s terrorist attacks in Brussels  as a “gesture of war”. So I doubt his comment was all-inclusive, it seems clear that Islamic terrorist aren't 'brothers' who want to live in peace.. I think the Pope was making a universal appeal for peace, but its also clear that the biblical God and Allah aren't the same God.. One God yes, but all brothers of the same God, no.

it would seem to me that terrorists in general are not brothers who wish to live in peace. That does not mean that we are not brothers of the same God. Siblings fight, after all. Often over how they interpret the instructions of parents who are away. 

When I think about it, I am also convinced that even terrorists want to live in peace. They just don't have that as their highest priority. It falls below the goal of everyone conforming to their ideals. (If everyone conformed, they would be happy to live in peace.. )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kokigami said:

it would seem to me that terrorists in general are not brothers who wish to live in peace. That does not mean that we are not brothers of the same God. Siblings fight, after all. Often over how they interpret the instructions of parents who are away. 

When I think about it, I am also convinced that even terrorists want to live in peace. They just don't have that as their highest priority. It falls below the goal of everyone conforming to their ideals. (If everyone conformed, they would be happy to live in peace.. )

 

I kind of doubt it.... Their idea's seem more about obtaining land, power, money, control & dominance, and less about theology. Its kind of like telling an abused woman that her husband would stop beating her everyday if she would just conform to what he wants. There's no appeasing people who enjoy killing and terrorizing others, their objective is not to live in peace, religion is often just a guise or excuse used toward conquest... jmo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:29 AM, Pete said:

“We have different cultures and religions, but we are brothers and we want to live in peace,” he said.

“All of us, together: Muslims, Hindi, Catholics, Copts, Evangelicals, but brothers, children of the same God,” the Pope added.

Pope Francis

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-washes-and-kisses-feet-of-muslim-hindu-and-christian-refugees-a6951771.html

The founding teacher of my spiritual tradition, Sri Shyamacharan Lahiri (1828-1895) would have agreed with the Pope for he used to say, "God is the God of all."   I also believe that.

Hermano Luis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2016 at 1:11 PM, Dan56 said:

I kind of doubt it.... Their idea's seem more about obtaining land, power, money, control & dominance, and less about theology. Its kind of like telling an abused woman that her husband would stop beating her everyday if she would just conform to what he wants. There's no appeasing people who enjoy killing and terrorizing others, their objective is not to live in peace, religion is often just a guise or excuse used toward conquest... jmo. 

Yes.  It is.  I'm surprised to see you make that statement, considering Christian history all over the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pope is a socialist. To me, that discredits him in all ways.  Just as with state-run news, at some point you just gotta stop listening. For the former, this is unfortunate....for the latter, good riddance!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2016 at 4:09 AM, Dan56 said:

It also says: "The Pope denounced Tuesday’s terrorist attacks in Brussels  as a “gesture of war”. So I doubt his comment was all-inclusive, it seems clear that Islamic terrorist aren't 'brothers' who want to live in peace.. I think the Pope was making a universal appeal for peace, but its also clear that the biblical God and Allah aren't the same God.. One God yes, but all brothers of the same God, no.

This is not clear to me.  Their stories are in different books.  Other than that, how are they different?

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2016 at 7:51 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Yes.  It is.  I'm surprised to see you make that statement, considering Christian history all over the world.

I differentiate religious history from Christian history. Religions/denominations are organized institutions which often implement their own man-made beliefs/laws. Just as Jesus accused the pharisees of creating their own traditions, its continued down through history, where the traditions of man pollute the simple teachings of Christ. Because "the church" has done bad things under the banner of Christianity, it does not accurately reflect anything taught be Christ. 

5 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

This is not clear to me.  Their stories are in different books.  Other than that, how are they different?

Islam has no Savior, Muslims must earn their way into paradise. Allah instructed followers to kill the enemies of Islam, while the Christian God reserves vengeance for himself. The characteristics of Mohammad and Christ are also different, one is a dead prophet, the other is the living Son of God. The Koran doesn't recognize a Messiah, particularly one which descended through Abraham/Issac. There's a few similarities, but a slew of differences since Muslims believe that the children of Abraham's firstborn (Ishmael) inherited the promise land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dan56 said:

I differentiate religious history from Christian history. Religions/denominations are organized institutions which often implement their own man-made beliefs/laws. Just as Jesus accused the pharisees of creating their own traditions, its continued down through history, where the traditions of man pollute the simple teachings of Christ. Because "the church" has done bad things under the banner of Christianity, it does not accurately reflect anything taught be Christ. 

Islam has no Savior, Muslims must earn their way into paradise. Allah instructed followers to kill the enemies of Islam, while the Christian God reserves vengeance for himself. The characteristics of Mohammad and Christ are also different, one is a dead prophet, the other is the living Son of God. The Koran doesn't recognize a Messiah, particularly one which descended through Abraham/Issac. There's a few similarities, but a slew of differences since Muslims believe that the children of Abraham's firstborn (Ishmael) inherited the promise land.

 

Just to be clear -- You have God.  The rest of the world has religion?

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

Just to be clear -- You have God.  The rest of the world has religion?

:rolleyes:

If you have God, who needs religion? I simply accept the bible as the inspired Word of God.. I'm not a fan of organized religion, it inevitably pollutes a simple truth and spins it into a complicated mess..Jesus didn't bring religion into the world, he brought salvation.. Religions were already here, but they had it all wrong back then, and are still a source of confusion today. No where did Jesus start a denomination, no where did he name a church.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dan56 said:

If you have God, who needs religion? I simply accept the bible as the inspired Word of God.. I'm not a fan of organized religion, it inevitably pollutes a simple truth and spins it into a complicated mess..Jesus didn't bring religion into the world, he brought salvation.. Religions were already here, but they had it all wrong back then, and are still a source of confusion today. No where did Jesus start a denomination, no where did he name a church.    

It is interesting, how the different religions say similar things.

Christians don't have religion.  They have Jesus.  

Jews don't have religion.  They have Torah.

Muslims don't have religion.  They submit to God's will.

Nobody has religion, yet the world drowns in it.     :sigh2:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this