The Difficult Questions

SisterSalome

• 3 months later...

I have been getting this question as I expand my pointing out of my family and neighborhood. 

If there can be a full universe of love, why is there so much evil?
and then there is ....  What can anyone here on earth do about it?

Oh and this is my first post here, (as far as this life is concerned)

36 minutes ago, TonyBatman said:

I have been getting this question as I expand my pointing out of my family and neighborhood. 

Welcome

59 minutes ago, TonyBatman said:

Welcome.

Why do you think the Universe is full of love?  Before we try to build on that assumption -- I have strong doubts that this is the case.  It does not match my observations.

On 6/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Welcome.

Why do you think the Universe is full of love?  Before we try to build on that assumption -- I have strong doubts that this is the case.  It does not match my observations.

I don't think that the universe thinks or has emotions, so I agree.  I may be wrong.

This love thing is my personal point of view from my observations, thank you for the welcome, the forum has been an interesting read already.

On 6/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Welcome.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here are my thoughts in no particular order;

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." Marcus Aurelius

The universe is filled with facts, love and evil are points of view. I look at it this way, There is no such thing as darkness, there is only an absence of light. Or it could be said this way, Evil is done by flesh and blood men, lost in the darkness. The reason there appears to be so much evil is thanks (mostly) to the media, when was the last time you read a headline like this? "100,000,000 people went to work today and committed no crimes"

• Like 3

On 6/15/2017 at 6:58 AM, TonyBatman said:

This love thing is my personal point of view from my observations, thank you for the welcome, the forum has been an interesting read already.

There is much hatred, to be sure. However, if hatred outweighed the good or love, the calamity we see now is nothing compared to what utter hate and lawlessness would be and IMO lawlessness would rule in the presence of unmitigated hate. For now at least, love outweighs the hate by a good margin.

The universe includes everything. It is as universal as its name implies. There is all emotions and no emotions. It is one thing and its polar opposite.

The real question is: could we experience everything if we didn't know what it truly was without something to compare it to? Hence, we know hate, because we know love.

Order has a job because there is chaos.

Even as we try to make sense of everything, where we can't, sometimes we create faith or imagination. Sometimes both. We are irrational creatures trying to live rational lives.

What is allowed to exist, may thrive, even quietly. What isn't, just might ignite a powder keg before it dies.

I don't how much better I can elaborate my answer to the original question, without maybe creating some confusion for understanding. Make sense?

1 hour ago, RevTom said:

There is much hatred, to be sure. However, if hatred outweighed the good or love, the calamity we see now is nothing compared to what utter hate and lawlessness would be and IMO lawlessness would rule in the presence of unmitigated hate. For now at least, love outweighs the hate by a good margin.

I'm having difficulty following you on this one.  Lawlessness doesn't seem to fit into your thoughts on love and hate.  I'm also not sure I understand you on those points.  

• Like 1

Thank you SisterSalome for the thought provoking questions:

Why do we have to die? Biblically, we are told in James 4:14  "Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." I hesitate to bring scripture that states specific numbers, because each has its supporters and detractors. However, all living things - plant and animal - will reach the same end, speaking of our mortal flesh. I do not worry or bemoan the fact that I will one day die. I like the speech by Julius Caesar in the play by Shakespeare 

"Cowards die many times before their deaths.
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come."
We have an allotted time. It is not that we will die but how we live that will be our testament and legacy.

2 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I'm having difficulty following you on this one.  Lawlessness doesn't seem to fit into your thoughts on love and hate.  I'm also not sure I understand you on those points.  

I was speaking of the ramifications of hate, particularly if hate should predominate. My thoughts are that it would beget lawlessness for lawlessness is a product in most instances of hate. Love outweighs hate, and for now at least, balances it, keeping hate and its byproduct, lawlessness, in check.

1 hour ago, RevTom said:

I was speaking of the ramifications of hate, particularly if hate should predominate. My thoughts are that it would beget lawlessness for lawlessness is a product in most instances of hate. Love outweighs hate, and for now at least, balances it, keeping hate and its byproduct, lawlessness, in check.

I'm not sure that any of this follows.

Armies run on hatred of the enemy.  Nothing is more lawful than the military with their hierarchical chains of command.

I'm also reminded of a Christian formulation.  "The love of law or the law of love"  Law is about structure.  Not love or hate.  Structure.  To my understanding.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevTom said:

Thank you SisterSalome for the thought provoking questions:

Why do we have to die? Biblically, we are told in James 4:14  "Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." I hesitate to bring scripture that states specific numbers, because each has its supporters and detractors. However, all living things - plant and animal - will reach the same end, speaking of our mortal flesh. I do not worry or bemoan the fact that I will one day die. I like the speech by Julius Caesar in the play by Shakespeare 

"Cowards die many times before their deaths.
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come."
We have an allotted time. It is not that we will die but how we live that will be our testament and legacy.

The point remains.  Life is a terminal condition.  In time, even the stars grow cold.  We die because we live.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How and why or even why not perhaps not required to DO

....whatever it is we do in life.

They are ultimately not what drives us.  

Do the questions (and/or answers) really matter?

Perhaps we most often act without understanding

in our daily existence.  (if yes - it explains a great deal) ;)

We want is often the impetus.     

We frequently respond beyond or in spite of reason. 

Maybe. 

von