SisterSalome

How do your beliefs benefit you and society?

138 posts in this topic

How do your beliefs benefit you and society?

Interesting question I ran across and I'm interested in everyone's input.

Some answers I've read elsewhere are:
- "It saved me from myself and thus saved society from me."
- "It justifies me treating others better when I otherwise see no reason to be other than selfish."
- "I don't know what God's purpose is but I trust it's whats best for me and everyone."
- "I follow the traditions of my ancestors so my cultural traditions stay alive for society to experience."

So many different answers to this question. What's your answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is interesting in it's phrasing.  What are the benefits of my "beliefs."  Not my "religion?"  Interesting.  

1.  I am an Agnostic.  My focus is on critical thinking and reality.  Not the world as I would like it to be, but what it is.  There are some things I know.  There are some things I don't know.  There are some things that are not knowable.  There are some things I don't know, yet.  There are some things I think I know that might be mistaken.

2.  I am also a reiki master and practitioner of a few related practices and disciplines.  There is more to reality than surface appearance.  

3.  I am also a ULC minister.  Not only a ministry.  An understanding that others understand things differently than I do -- and that does not make them wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it stemmed from a psychology forum and not a religious one, I gather it was beliefs vs. religion because people hold a variety of beliefs within their religious choice. That's what the context seemed to infer. And we often focus on how our religion as a whole benefits others and the world - instead of introspectively analyzing our own beliefs (religious and otherwise), how they shape our own behavior and serve ourselves (and society, which we're affecting every day.) I found it an interesting phrasing too! That's why I think it was something I thought to ask everyone. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obedience to God makes me a better person for society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SisterSalome said:

Since it stemmed from a psychology forum and not a religious one, I gather it was beliefs vs. religion because people hold a variety of beliefs within their religious choice. That's what the context seemed to infer. And we often focus on how our religion as a whole benefits others and the world - instead of introspectively analyzing our own beliefs (religious and otherwise), how they shape our own behavior and serve ourselves (and society, which we're affecting every day.) I found it an interesting phrasing too! That's why I think it was something I thought to ask everyone. :)

 

If I were asking the question, I would ask about "values" instead of "beliefs" or "religion."  In my own life, I could come up with an explanation about how being Agnostic makes me a better person than I would be otherwise.  This is neither here nor there.  It is our values that matter.  The prisons are full of people who have profound beliefs.  Great crimes have been committed by the pious and secular alike.  No.  It is values that make the difference.  In particular, the ability to understand the needs of others.  We are good despite our beliefs.  For that matter, despite our disbeliefs.   Not because of them.

:D 

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all reality, my beliefs really only benefit me. Giving me peace of mind and thirst for more to understand.

The byproduct is the more open mindedness that is achieved and allows for more back and forth flow of communication, I feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Child of God said:

Obedience to God makes me a better person for society.

I am changing mine to -

Obedience to God makes me a better person to unselfishly serve society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You inspired me to write darlin! Thanks. :)

 

How do your beliefs benefit you and society?

This question was asked by SisterSolome on the ULC.net forum. It's inspired me to think, and to write. 

 

My first reaction was that my beliefs don't really benefit anyone. I'm not rich because I'm Wiccan. I can't caste a magick spell to win the lotto, no matter how much I've tried! The Universe doesn't work like that. If life were suppose to be easy for me, I'd have been born rich, or led a life that came to that end result. I realized I was thinking in terms of the material however. 

 

Taking into account the definition of "benefit: as verb (used with object), benefited or benefited, benefiting or benefiting.5.to do good to; be of service to:a health program to benefit everyone.

I have to say that I have certainly benefited. To be of service is certainly something that rings as important in my life. I'm drawn to helping others, to heal when I can, and to help teach. I hope that this blog has been a benefit to others, just as I have benefited from the various Pagan blogs I follow. The love of the Goddess is certainly a benefit for me. She helps guide, protect and comfort me when I need her love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I view the world and all within it as a puzzle.  Each piece has its own unique picture, sometimes startlingly clear, sometimes fuzzy beyond recognition.  The startlingly clear pieces are those who know who they are and how they interact with the world, the fuzzy one's are those who go along with whatever is around them.  Some people work on themselves entirely in an effort to make themselves the best piece possible, and they don't worry so much about the pieces around them.  After all, if you have a puzzle in which some of the pieces are diamond studded, the puzzle itself is more valuable.  Some pieces fit into those around them, blending, smoothing lines, trying to make the whole picture look more coherent and work better together.  After all, a good picture is worth a thousand words.  Some pieces just sort of float along, not really caring.  Eh, well, that is enough of my world view.

How do I fit into it?  I sometimes think I take on too many of the roles I have described, and other times not enough.  But I don't view this as bad.  Sometimes it is good to work on yourself, for you must know how you work in order to determine the best way to help those around you.  Understanding one's own limits, and trying to overcome those limits, that can lead to much growth for not only the self but also the society one finds themselves within.  If I gain abilities in the medical field, for example, I can ply my trade, improve myself both monetarily and educationally, and everyone benefits.  But really this applies to anyone.  I have often taken walks around my town and simply picked up trash as I went.  Little puzzle pieces might not seem important, but they can do big things in small increments.  I rarely minister, though I have officiated weddings for secular friends.  I would for the religious as well, but most of them choose churches :)  I teach others about my philosophy, but I live in Southern Illinois, and probably about 15 miles from a giant cross which often feels to me like that little spike on the end of the belt buckle of the bible belt.  In grade school, I was made an example of by teachers because I was a non believer, as well as non conformist.  School prayer is an issue?  We had the "friends in Christ" club decades ago...Sometimes I find someone who asks me questions, or is discussing something, and I interject in as secular a manner as possible without revealing my particular affiliations.  They usually will take the advice, or at least consider it, if they don't know I am non Christian.  The ones who know that, they reject everything I say out of hand.  This doesn't bother me, too often at least.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My belief (Christian), encourages me to live by a set of moral standards, which requires; "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" (Matthew 22:39). It also teaches me that "Vengeance is mine..saith the Lord" (Romans 12:19). This has benefited some in society that I've helped, and its benefited others whom I've resisted clobbering.

My belief benefits myself by giving me peace of mind. Life isn't just about the here & now, but the hope of something far better & everlasting. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your contribution and I'm flattered that I inspired your blog, SalemWitchChild. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, they have prevented me from killing a bunch of folks who need it.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

So far, they have prevented me from killing a bunch of folks who need it.;)

lol, didn't think about it, but you're right! That little belief in harm none really takes the fun out of retribution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2016 at 9:22 AM, SalemWitchChild said:

lol, didn't think about it, but you're right! That little belief in harm none really takes the fun out of retribution. 

On an even more basic level; dark deeds don't spread light.  I prefer not to become what I despise.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 4:06 AM, SisterSalome said:

How do your beliefs benefit you and society?

Interesting question I ran across and I'm interested in everyone's input.

Some answers I've read elsewhere are:
- "It saved me from myself and thus saved society from me."
- "It justifies me treating others better when I otherwise see no reason to be other than selfish."
- "I don't know what God's purpose is but I trust it's whats best for me and everyone."
- "I follow the traditions of my ancestors so my cultural traditions stay alive for society to experience."

So many different answers to this question. What's your answer?

I am a Gnostic Christian. If you want more on that, I have a thread on the go showing the basic belief.

As an esoteric ecumenist, my belief system prompt me to a healthy disrespect for religions and governments and allows me an unfettered ability to criticize them without fear. This allows me to take only the best laws and rules of government and religions and discard the rest.

Society, hopefully, is helped by my criticisms of those policies that I have rejected as immoral or unsound, be they governmental or religious.

I concentrate more on religions because they are doing more damage to minds than governments are at present.

Regards

DL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:49 AM, Child of God said:

Obedience to God makes me a better person for society.

Who is the God you idol worship and what makes you think what you are obeying came from that God and not a man just putting his own thoughts down and saying it came from a God?

 

Regards

DL

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 8:16 PM, Dan56 said:

My belief (Christian), encourages me to live by a set of moral standards, which requires; "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" (Matthew 22:39). It also teaches me that "Vengeance is mine..saith the Lord" (Romans 12:19). This has benefited some in society that I've helped, and its benefited others whom I've resisted clobbering.

My belief benefits myself by giving me peace of mind. Life isn't just about the here & now, but the hope of something far better & everlasting. 

 

 

A part of Christian beliefs is that it was ok for God to torture King David's innocent baby for 6 days before finally killing it, because of God's anger against David. Do you agree that that is ok and would you do it if your God commanded you to do so?

 

Would you also kill the innocent first born of Egypt if commanded to do so?

 

How would you justify killing innocent children because of anger at the parents?

 

Regards

DL

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 9:22 AM, SalemWitchChild said:

lol, didn't think about it, but you're right! That little belief in harm none really takes the fun out of retribution. 

Are you saying that if you were in a situation where some evil person was going about killing innocent people, that you would not harm him if you could? You would just let him continue would you?

 

I find that hard to believe, and hope I an wrong, but await your reasoning.

 

Regards

DL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 2:10 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

On an even more basic level; dark deeds don't spread light.  I prefer not to become what I despise.

I follow Socratic thinking on this and see evil as a block to the light and destroying that block allow for a widening ray of light to travel without hindrance.

 

Regards

DL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gnostic Bishop said:

A part of Christian beliefs is that it was ok for God to torture King David's innocent baby for 6 days before finally killing it, because of God's anger against David. Do you agree that that is ok and would you do it if your God commanded you to do so?

Would you also kill the innocent first born of Egypt if commanded to do so?

How would you justify killing innocent children because of anger at the parents?

I believe that He who gives life also has a right to take life at His discretion, that's all the justification God needs. We were all born to die, and who's to say that King David's baby went from good to worse? And remember that the Pharaoh killed the Hebrews first, but Moses escaped the death sentence.. We reap what we sow, and paybacks a bitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan56 said:

I believe that He who gives life also has a right to take life at His discretion, that's all the justification God needs. We were all born to die, and who's to say that King David's baby went from good to worse? And remember that the Pharaoh killed the Hebrews first, but Moses escaped the death sentence.. We reap what we sow, and paybacks a bitch.

IOW, you have sold your soul to Satan and have accepted a baby murderer as your God.

Where did that immoral belief come from?

I need no reply on that because you made it up and if human fathers killed those they give life to, you would be the first to condemn them.

That aside, killing is one thing but to support a God who tortures babies shows just how low your religion has taken your morals.

If you cannot see that then you are barely human.

 

Regards

DL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gnostic Bishop said:

Are you saying that if you were in a situation where some evil person was going about killing innocent people, that you would not harm him if you could? You would just let him continue would you?

 

I find that hard to believe, and hope I an wrong, but await your reasoning.

 

Regards

DL

 

Everyone is a child of creation. It is not for me to kill someone. Not unless I am actively in danger. I can defend myself and others. I cannot seek to take the life of another just because this person might take another life; no matter how probable that chance is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think my beliefs benefit anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

You are so bitter in  your perfection, Gnostic Bishop.:lol:

It's lonely at the top and yes, I get quite bitter when seeing what Christianity has done to the morals of its sheep. To the point where torturing babies is ok.

 

Regards

DL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SalemWitchChild said:

Everyone is a child of creation. It is not for me to kill someone. Not unless I am actively in danger. I can defend myself and others. I cannot seek to take the life of another just because this person might take another life; no matter how probable that chance is. 

Well I am pleased that you do not write the laws of the land as they compel us to be more moral citizens than what you show yourself being.

I am not going to take you by the hand but suggest that you look up Duty to rescue laws and Good Samaritan laws. Perhaps you will understand the logic that I cannot seem to provide for you.

If I did as you would in Canada, I would end in jail and I would agree with the court that sent me there because I would not be fit to walk the streets.

 

Regards

DL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now