The Book Of Revelation

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Yep! So simple Dan that people have been getting Revelations wrong for centuries.  I defy even you to explain all the beasts imagery. 

I can't vey well write an entire book of symbology (too long), but here Jesus explains some of it himself; 

And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains (nations), on which the woman sitteth.

10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings (not earthly kings), which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour (5 months Rev 9:5)) with the beast.

13 These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.

14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.

17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth. (Babylon=confusion)" (Revelation 17: 7-18)

2 hours ago, Coolhand said:

Here's a little folly to lighten the mood.....lol.... courtesy of my conservative club brothers who thought I would find this compelling ......ay yi yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtquNNEO7Fw

I didn't agree with anything Walid Shoebat concluded in the link, but the video response pretty well shot down it being an Arabic name, thanks for including the retort. The number of the beast is 666, meaning the man (antiChrist) appears at the  6th seal, the 6th trump, and the 6th vial.. It hasn't happened yet, I believe we are living in the 5th seal. 

10 hours ago, Songster said:

They've been getting it wrong? REALLY? Who made YOU the arbiter of right and wrong in a book in which you have little or no regard?

I was actually being gracious. Lets just presume the book is correct and then look at the countless predictions of immanent end times through history that have come and gone without incident then one can say some at least must be getting it wrong. Hold your horses next time friend.

The problem with Revelation is that the symbolism is so thick that it can mean anything.  My personal favorite is the interpretation that supports my biasses.  It is a parable about Church and State relations.

The woman in red is The Church.  She is riding the Beast.  The Beast is the State.  The State is supporting the Church in an unnatural way.  In the woman's hand is a sparkling beverage.  The Church is getting intoxicated with the temporal power of The State.  It will end badly for the woman.  The Beast eats her flesh.  After the Church losses it's independence, it becomes nothing more than part of the State.  The Beast has consumed her.

Interesting Jonathan. There has also been big issues on the beast with 666. Some early documents use 606. I have seen this applied to the Pope, Bar codes, Micro-chipping, the illuminati, freeMasonry,  the Roman Empire, Hitler, and for some they say the Jewish religious number of 7 is being applied and shows the wearer falls short of God in each aspect. Therefore 6 and not seven. I have also seen it applied to some US presidents and leaders of the UN. 

I have seen it applied in humour to Barney the Purple dinosaur. 

Mathmatical Proof that Barney is Satan

Given: Barney is a CUTE PURPLE DINOSAUR
Prove: Barney is Satanic

The Romans had no letter 'U' and used 'V' instead for printing, meaning the Roman representation for Barney would be:

CVTE PVRPLE DINOSAVR

Extracting the Roman numerals, we have:

C V V L D I V

Decimal Equivalents are:

100 5 5 50 500 1 5

Adding those numbers produces: 666

666 is the number of the beast.

Therefore, Barney is Satan.

http://www.pinetree.net/humor/barneyissatan.html

Although Barney is applied in jest it does show how it is extremely hard to know for sure what much of this means.  Whether it had a meaning that those of the time were more aware of, I do not know. 

Please note my inclusion of Barney was not meant to mock but to point out that it can be applied in so many ways. Revelations is far from clear and some Christians have been applying it and asserting a meaning through centuries. With respect this shows to me that Christians and none Christians are no nearer understanding it than each other. 

• Amulet locked this topic