It Sucks To Have A Cold Or The Flu Even If You Are A God

Hello all,

On the Astral Plane or in the Underworld I may be lord of all I survey, but being trapped within the limitations of a mortal physical existence is certainly taxing on one's godhood. I am thankfully recovering now, but it just reminds me of the day to day struggles we all face, and how hard life can be just on a minor scale. I watched Neil deGrasse Tyson, the scientist and atheist, on The Nightly Show, and he mentioned that taking into account all of the harmful things in the natural world from deadly diseases to giant meteors waiting to smash us, he does not believe in a benevolent, intelligent creator. Being sick as I was, it kind of hit home. I do not believe in a Supreme Being, as I have posted previously the only god I worship is myself. But how does someone who believes in a benevolent Supreme Being or someone who believes that the Universe is predominantly "good" reconcile themselves to even the daily hassles of life. The cognitive dissonance I would personally experience would be like screaming in my head. I am aware that I am a cynic (no perky Goths here), but since I expect life to be hard I am rarely disappointed. For those of you able to maintain a positive outlook, I salute you for your tenacity ;)

Edited by Umbraedeus

A very small point in passing. Dr. Tyson prefers the Agnostic label over the Atheist label. He said that the only "ist" he is, is a "scientist."

Beyond that, I agree. I do not perceive the Cosmos as being benevolent.

Thanks Jonathan for clarifying :). I did not mean to intentionally misrepresent Dr. Tyson; I incorrectly inferred he was an Atheist from some of his statements.

You should consider all of the disease, pain, and suffering in the world and apply the same logic to your "God." I am certain there are many Christians who end up buying cold medicine after praying for God to heal them. BTW, I do not claim to function as a god while in this mortal shell. It is my spirit body that is immortal and does not get sick.

You should consider all of the disease, pain, and suffering in the world and apply the same logic to your "God." I am certain there are many Christians who end up buying cold medicine after praying for God to heal them. BTW, I do not claim to function as a god while in this mortal shell. It is my spirit body that is immortal and does not get sick.

It's not God's fault when somebody asks to be healed and they aren't [and they have to resort to medicine.There is nothing wrong with medicine]. I myself am a prime example. I believe in healing... yet I am not healed: I still have IBS and Celiac Disease. What am I doing wrong? Well... it's partly a lack of faith, and some unbelief. Whatever the cause is for someone not being healed... it's not God's fault. If someone asks God for physical healing in their body and He DIDN'T heal them.... He would be lying when He said "Ask, and you shall recieve." And God is not a man that He should lie. So you first have to realize that the fault for your not being healed, everytime, all the time, is not God's fault. The fault always lies with fallible humans. If you ever read any the the Gospels--Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John in the New Testament of the Bible, you will find that when Jesus healed people, He always healed them all. And when He couldn't [heal them] it was because of their unbelief. They thought He was just a man... Mary and Joseph's son. They couldn't recognize or believe His deity and therefore His power to physically heal ANY disease or sickness. A prime example is the one of the woman with the issue of blood. MANY people were touching Jesus but only the woman with the issue of blood touched Jesus in faith... and she received her healing.

Edited by ObedEdom
  • 2 weeks later...

Just so. Physical existence does come with grief. The world is not yet perfect. Well, we must work with what we have.

:cheers:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

It's not God's fault when somebody asks to be healed and they aren't [and they have to resort to medicine.There is nothing wrong with medicine]. I myself am a prime example. I believe in healing... yet I am not healed: I still have IBS and Celiac Disease. What am I doing wrong? Well... it's partly a lack of faith, and some unbelief. Whatever the cause is for someone not being healed... it's not God's fault. If someone asks God for physical healing in their body and He DIDN'T heal them.... He would be lying when He said "Ask, and you shall recieve." And God is not a man that He should lie. So you first have to realize that the fault for your not being healed, everytime, all the time, is not God's fault. The fault always lies with fallible humans. If you ever read any the the Gospels--Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John in the New Testament of the Bible, you will find that when Jesus healed people, He always healed them all. And when He couldn't [heal them] it was because of their unbelief. They thought He was just a man... Mary and Joseph's son. They couldn't recognize or believe His deity and therefore His power to physically heal ANY disease or sickness. A prime example is the one of the woman with the issue of blood. MANY people were touching Jesus but only the woman with the issue of blood touched Jesus in faith... and she received her healing.

Forgive me for stepping in.

A petty god are the imaginings of a petty people.

Edited by scottedward
  • Amulet locked this topic