My Mother's Physical Struggles Have Passed

My mother transitioned to be with my father last night, Thursday Oct. 08, 2015 at 9:15 pm. She passed peacefully in her sleep with no complications or suffering, for which we are all very grateful. Though she spent 7 years as a widow she will now be reunited with her husband of 63 years in the great beyond, interestingly enough just shy of would have been their 70th anniversary.

It is a time of reflection on her Living and not of her passing. She had a firm and strong belief in her Evangelical faith. Mom had said for some time she desired nothing more than to be free of her physical suffering which included congestive heart disease and Type I Diabetes. My father expressed much the same before he passed in 2008.

I will be helping my siblings take care of all Mom's final wishes, memorial and getting her condo ready for sale. My time here on the forum will be varied and brief over the next few weeks.

I wish to thank those who offered their support, prayers and energies over the past few months. It is heartwarming to know there are friends, even through the distance of internet, that care about others on this journey through Life.

I'll see you then,

Blessings of Peace,

Al

Thanks guys. It is a strange feeling knowing the phone # I know by heart, address that flows without thinking and favorite dinners only a Mom makes are now things of the past. I know it's not the same as being "orphaned", but, somehow the lack of having those that were always there for you being gone is a very odd feeling.

The grieving emotions for the survivors are one thing but on the other hand strangely liberating. I know both my folks were in a great deal of physical discomfort in their last year so knowing they both passed peacefully in sleep is a blessings of its own.

Be Well, Blessings of Peace,

I honestly don't know how or why I am experiencing the feelings I am at present. I went through a bit of a depression after my Dad passed in '08 and yet now that Mom is gone it is a mix of relief, loss, sadness, elation, grief and joy...a very strange mix for sure.

It was evident at Mom's Memorial last Friday that she, and my Dad, had many, many friends who genuinely cherished the times they spent together. Regardless of one's Beliefs, that is a good thing. What I found a bit disturbing was the focus on things never shared within our family but routinely expressed to those outside the family unit.

My sister, bless her heart, was Mom's main care giver for the last month of her life after coming home from 3 months at "Hell-yond" convalescent home. We can't express strongly enough to anyone faced with the decision: Take your loved one HOME!!!

If you think it will be difficult to care for them, live with the guilt of leaving them routinely uncared for, poorly groomed, given terrible food, given the wrong medications and being smiled at while the "nurses" mumble horrific nuances under their breath. In hind sight it was horrifying to think people can treat our elderly so poorly and with such lack of compassion. Nursing homes are just one more very broken thing in this 'wonderful' country of ours. Why?

In summary, I'm thankful that my parents were appreciated and loved by many good friends. I'm happy they both got the send off they desired through their Beliefs and even those not believing the same way were able to have a final "goodbye". Many of you have already gone through this emotional experience, others still have to face it. I join with those who told me to "enjoy your friends and family while they are here" and I'll pass that on to those to whom it applies.

Thanks for your well wishes and prayers, our family appreciates it.

Blessings of Peace,

Al