Millennium Forcasts

Mark 13:2 causes other problems in that Jesus said that no stone in the temple would be left standing....and yet, one wall remains to this day.....

I happen to agree with you on that.. I don't believe that particular prophecy was fulfilled in 70 AD, but is yet to happen.

I happen to agree with you on that.. I don't believe that particular prophecy was fulfilled in 70 AD, but is yet to happen.

Understand I am not opposed to Jesus at all. I prefer the Tao Te Ching but, a lot of what is in there is found in Jesus' words. I do have a problem with the "christians" who prefer every bible verse BUT the words of Jesus. But that is another matter.

These inconsistencies are a problem for the Christian Theologians, who have studied this for millennia, I am sure.

FWIW

Let us forget those negative prophetic dreams. Let us learn to live in our here and now. We have to learn how to treat each other with understanding, love, and compassion. We have to eliminate those barriers that separate us from our sisters and brothers who have different religions, nationalities, races, etc. Instead of thinking when the world is coming to an end, we should start thinking about when the world will become one. Prophetic literature is not helping. Let us believe and promote unity. We are people of one world.

Lord Buddha is attributed with saying the following: "For hatred can never put an end to hatred; love alone can" (Dhammapada, verse 5).

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

and is it really prophecy if it is vague enough that it could have happened at multiple points? If the bible had a prophecy about me specifically by name being born where I was born, and that came true, then I would consider the possibility that it could accurately predict things. But to say something like mankind will enter into a time of trouble...jeez, I guess it COULD be a little more vague, but I dunno. The same with other prophecies, they all seem to relegate the important details to the back burner, and put up a front of general attitudes and behaviors and conditions, things that happen all the time, even when the prophecies were written or spoken. I could say there will be a car wreck today, and it will be bad, and people will cry and wail about it. It will probably come true. That doesn't mean I actually predicted anything, it means I took a guess based on available information and pattern and it coincidentally happened.

Actually, Jesus said that the kingdom of God would appear in that era... ​That didn't happen then and it hasn't happened yet.

Well, that depends upon your understanding (btw, I would be the last one to uphold any bible verse "as a prediction", but nevertheless). Consider logion 113 from the Layton Translation of The Gospel of Thomas (my favorite gospel, and one which is at least as old as Matthew):

(113) His disciples said to him, "When is the kingdom going to come?" <Jesus said>, "It is not by being waited for that it is going to come. They are not going to say, 'Here it is' or 'There it is.' Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out over the earth, and people do not see it."

Edited by Bro. Hex

Well, that depends upon your understanding (btw, I would be the last one to uphold any bible verse "as a prediction", but nevertheless). Consider logion 113 from the Layton Translation of The Gospel of Thomas (my favorite gospel, and one which is at least as old as Matthew):

(113) His disciples said to him, "When is the kingdom going to come?" <Jesus said>, "It is not by being waited for that it is going to come. They are not going to say, 'Here it is' or 'There it is.' Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out over the earth, and people do not see it."

That goes to the Gnostic character of that gospel and other writings like it. Only those who have the secret knowledge (Gnosis) can understand and see the kingdom.

Obviously, that leads to a lot of interesting ideas as far as just what the Gnosis is and what those secrets are. Supposedly, those who know are keeping their mouths shut to the general public...

• Amulet locked this topic