Millennium Forcasts

I remember before the year 2000 so many people were forecasting the end of the world . Then it switched to 2012. I know the world will end one day but just where do these apocalyptic millennium preachers disappear too. I know some keep changing the date all their lives with nothing happening. The JWs have given up forecasting an exact date after many times getting it wrong. I wonder why so many follow this type of preacher..

I remember before the year 2000 so many people were forecasting the end of the world . Then it switched to 2012. I know the world will end one day but just where do these apocalyptic millennium preachers disappear too. I know some keep changing the date all their lives with nothing happening. The JWs have given up forecasting an exact date after many times getting it wrong. I wonder why so many follow this type of preacher..

I'm always a skeptic of those who pen any kind of date. For what true purpose can that serve? Is it not better to just simply say, "Repent, for the end is near?"

Also, as there is no means yet for a mass exodus of our planet to another habitable one, then what could we truly do to survive the end of the world? (Only way would be spiritually, as many believe. But to where?)

I'm always a skeptic of those who pen any kind of date. For what true purpose can that serve? Is it not better to just simply say, "Repent, for the end is near?"

Also, as there is no means yet for a mass exodus of our planet to another habitable one, then what could we truly do to survive the end of the world? (Only way would be spiritually, as many believe. But to where?)

It is about two thousand years since that quote.

My mother is Pentecostal and always warning me about the End of the World. I've been hearing "the End is near" preached since I was a small child in the 1970's. My deceased maternal grandfather had said they had been preaching the same thing when he was a child in the 1920's. One of the current theories my mother believes is based on the occurrence of a sequence of "blood moons." She believes Jesus may be coming back when one of the moons occurs at Rosh Hashanah. In any case, she is unhappy with my being a Welsh Pagan, and is always asking me what I'm going to do when the End finally comes. I jokingly told her that me and the other Pagans are going to put the batteries in Stonehenge, then everyone had better watch out ;).

Edited by Gwynn

It is about two thousand years since that quote.

LOL, so true. But even hearing it today, it doesn't seem that old because it isn't dated as many doomsayers have been doing, and getting it wrong. Can't be wrong if you don't know how soon is "near." (Perhaps nearer than it was 2000 years ago. Who knows?)

Isn't it hubris for man to assume that God would work by man's calendar? Why would an all powerful God work on our schedule, and not simply laugh at us for failing to grasp his?

Hi Cuchulain :),

I just don't know about that. The Celtic gods were pretty good about adhering to the ritual calendar; Samahin/Nos Galan Gaeaf is right around the corner :holloween:. Most religions have holy days to which God or the gods are supposed to pay attention. Of course I do feel that the holidays based on natural occurrences such as changing seasons or celestial events would have more validity than some random dates assigned arbitrarily by men. Perhaps the ancients did grasp God or the gods' schedule when creating their respective calendars (by observing Nature), but we have forgotten or lost some of the significance over time.

Edited by Gwynn ap Gruffudd

Isn't it hubris for man to assume that God would work by man's calendar? Why would an all powerful God work on our schedule, and not simply laugh at us for failing to grasp his?

The problem is we have something that argues it is the word of that God and throughout the NT there are references for the end to be coming soon and very soon and in places within the life time of those back then. Now if one argues we have the word of that god and he wants us to understand what he is saying then references to being "soon" (which is in human language) are understood as just that. The trouble is it has not been.

Agreed to both. I was referencing the Christian God, my bad, especially considering I am not Christian eh? Answering Pete, there are multitudes of problems when you involve the God of Abraham and time. Even Christians disagree as to what god calls time, so it shouldn't be any surprise that us non Christians can't guess it accurately either, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

Scientist have a end of the world timer and I think I read that they have had to reset it 4 times. I don't think we will see it in our time but I also don't like the way things are picking up like storms I am from Texas and tornado's have been really bad for a few years now and even around the U.S.

Â

Last time I saw tornadoes were down as well as hurricanes. I think if you build more things in a tornado zone, more things get blown down, whether there are more tornadoes or not.

Arctic ice has returned after a temporary cyclical warm period. Antarctic ice is at a record high. Plants are growing more with an 11% increase in global foliage. The Sahara is shrinking. Polar bears are at a record high. The ocean continues to rise at the same low rate it has for hundreds of years.

The earth seems to be taking a CO2 lemon and making lemonade.

There is also predicted a possible collision with a Mesozoic ending sized object in 2037. Unfortunately, I will probably not be able to attend the celebration party for yet another miserably incorrect end of the world prophecy.

Perhaps I will just celebrate today! :Jumpy::clap::clap2::kick:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fear.

When will the world come to an end? It will, but no one knows when. Prophets are dreamers, and some dreams are nighmares. Let us continue to live and apply a bit of understanding, love, and compassion to our lives.

Hermano Luis

That right there is probably the most positive and helpful thing I've seen for more than a little while in a thread this depressing.

Props, Hermano.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, Jesus said that the kingdom of God would appear in that era: Matthew 16:28: "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

​That didn't happen then and it hasn't happened yet-despire call over the last 2,000 years that it was happening soon...FWIW...

Actually, Jesus said that the kingdom of God would appear in that era: Matthew 16:28: "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

​That didn't happen then and it hasn't happened yet-despire call over the last 2,000 years that it was happening soon...FWIW...

Jesus was not talking about his second advent in Matthew 16:28.

"And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light" (Matthew 17:1-2).

Later Peter reiterated the meaning;

"For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount" (2 Peter 1:16-18)

Also, Christ came in His kingdom when he arose from the dead, glorious and magnified in his own power, ready to ascend to heaven. Those men Christ spoke to that day in Matt 16:28 were alive to see this day too; "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God" (Mark 16:19).

Jesus was not talking about his second advent in Matthew 16:28.

"And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light" (Matthew 17:1-2).

Later Peter reiterated the meaning;

"For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount" (2 Peter 1:16-18)

Also, Christ came in His kingdom when he arose from the dead, glorious and magnified in his own power, ready to ascend to heaven. Those men Christ spoke to that day in Matt 16:28 were alive to see this day too; "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God" (Mark 16:19).

I understand that claim. However, many scholars disagree with with that interpretation as the transfiguration happened 6 days after Jesus said that so, the line about some of you will be alive makes no sense. See, http://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/16-28.htm.

Of course, for Christians, this section causes some problems because if Jesus really meant the coming of the Kingdom of God, that clearly did not happen. So, faced with that problem, the church had to come up with other reasonable solutions. Otherwise, the sanctity of Jesus would be in doubt...and they can't have that...

Mark 13:2 causes other problems in that Jesus said that no stone in the temple would be left standing....and yet, one wall remains to this day.....

• Amulet locked this topic