Currently Reading . . .

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started for the third time "The Tale of Genji". So far I have gotten much further than the first two times.

I never heard of that before and checked out the synopsis on Wikipedia. The way it was formed and the fact the story teller kept track of 400 characters is astounding.

• 4 weeks later...

I've now started on A Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich. We're going to be in Crete for the Eid hols, and I don't know very much about the Eastern Church.

JJ Norwich describes how the Eastern and Western Churches fell out...

In 484 there was a synod in Constantinople where Pope Felix III (head of the western Church, and still nominally head of the whole shebang) got so enraged over the Monophysite debate that he decided to excommunicate the Patriarch of Constantinople (head of the Eastern Church).

As they were in Constantinople at the time, nobody dared tell the Patriarch to his face.

SO...

the anathama was written on a bit of parchment and it was pinned on the back of the Patriarch's cope during a service at Santa Sophia.

This has been making me laugh all morning.

I've just patented a new game called Schism! or, Pin the Anathama on the Patriarch.

I'm starting to feel like the pusher man here, but if you liked that - do try " The Bad Popes " by E.R. Chamberlin

And I'm still poring over " The Dead Sea Scrolls " - Wise, Abegg, & Cook

"Awakening the Heros Within" twelve archetypes to help us find ourselves and transform our world by Carol S. Pearson

I went to a Psychic Speed Reading event last weekend and this was one of the books one of the readers suggested I read.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got " Legends of the Bible " by Louis Ginzberg

it is an abridgement of Legends of the Jews, which took seventeen years to complete. When Louis Ginzberg died in 1953 he was recognized as the world's scholar in the field of Talmudic learning.... he was honored by Harvard University, who referred to him as a " profound scholar of the laws and legends in Talmudic literature." on the honorary degree they gave him....

I'm excited about this book..... and it was reduced at barnes and noble....

• 2 weeks later...

Just got " Legends of the Bible " by Louis Ginzberg

it is an abridgement of Legends of the Jews, which took seventeen years to complete. When Louis Ginzberg died in 1953 he was recognized as the world's scholar in the field of Talmudic learning.... he was honored by Harvard University, who referred to him as a " profound scholar of the laws and legends in Talmudic literature." on the honorary degree they gave him....

I'm excited about this book..... and it was reduced at barnes and noble....

Thanks, Sky Brother,

For the info about this book...

Now that you have explained what it is, you have triggered my interest...

I intend to look for it.

Thanks, Sky Brother,

For the info about this book...

Now that you have explained what it is, you have triggered my interest...

I intend to look for it.

i would have trouble explaining how much I am enjoying it.... but I do force myself to put it down so that the reading of it will take longer.... ( I know, goofy... :wacko: ... but I DO....)

i would have trouble explaining how much I am enjoying it.... but I do force myself to put it down so that the reading of it will take longer.... ( I know, goofy... wacko.gif ... but I DO....)

Wow...I can honestly say I have never stopped reading just to prolong an enjoyable reading experience!

I usually get so absorbed I'll read right through it in a couple of sessions.

Wow...I can honestly say I have never stopped reading just to prolong an enjoyable reading experience!

I usually get so absorbed I'll read right through it in a couple of sessions.

I have a pretty good memory, and the second reading will not hold any further surprises... If I let myself I would read it in two days... I find my enjoyment in the oddest places... :jest:

I have a pretty good memory, and the second reading will not hold any further surprises... If I let myself I would read it in two days... I find my enjoyment in the oddest places... jester.gif

Does good bathroom graffiti have the same effect on you? hideingbhindcurtian.gif

i try not to look directly at the graffiti fawzo..... some things you just don't want stuck in your head... wacko.gif

I know what you mean. I remember the words to the famous "he who writes upon these walls...." but can't remember any of Joyce Kilmer's "Trees" if he had only wrote in a stall it may have stuck lol

I stopped reading bathroom graffiti when I was sitting in a stall and noticed a small sticker stuck to the inside of the door at the bottom with small print on it. I leaned in closer to read it and it said "You are now reading this bent over at a 45 degree angle."

I stopped reading bathroom graffiti when I was sitting in a stall and noticed a small sticker stuck to the inside of the door at the bottom with small print on it. I leaned in closer to read it and it said "You are now reading this bent over at a 45 degree angle."

See you remembered it clearly. Maybe their is some type of chemical endorphin being released in our brains during those "moments of bodily functions" where memory is enhanced. Maybe schools should start writing their lessons on the walls and stalls of the restrooms or maybe throw out the normal desk and chairs in the classrooms and replace them with urinals and toilets to try and replicate the experience.

Maybe I can get our government to give me a million dollar grant to recreate the "reading room experience"

I know what you mean. I remember the words to the famous "he who writes upon these walls...." but can't remember any of Joyce Kilmer's "Trees" if he had only wrote in a stall it may have stuck lol

I still remember Thanatopsis :

So live, that when thy summons comes to join

The innumerable caravan which moves

To that mysterious realm where each shall take

His chamber in the silent halls of death,

Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,

Scourged by his dungeon; but, sustain'd and soothed

By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave,

Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch

About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

but man..... Beowulf is gone......" here I sit, broken hearted...."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Amulet locked and unpinned this topic