Currently Reading . . .

i just finished reading the new jedi order series, and the latest one by Zhan that seems to have nothing to do with it lol. On top of that, i also just finished the recluse saga, by modesit, again, and the eyes of god by John Marco. Now i am looking for something else to read, but its 2 am, and nothing is open, and i have read all the books i have too many times!!

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just finished reading the new jedi order series, and the latest one by Zhan that seems to have nothing to do with it lol. On top of that, i also just finished the recluse saga, by modesit, again, and the eyes of god by John Marco. Now i am looking for something else to read, but its 2 am, and nothing is open, and i have read all the books i have too many times!!

could always read my book :D sorry, i'm a publicity-whore :P:lol:

Guest Colly
I'm working on Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard. Good book. Anyone seen the movie? All I want to know is is it was any good.

Personally, I found the (Sylvester Stallone?) movie disappointing and too short to really cover much of the story. Also, the single book "Battlefield Earth" was a little bit disappointing, I believe both the TV show and the Battlefield Earth book were based on a single volume of the Mission Earth stories, but it's been so long since I read them, I'm not sure. HOWEVER!!!: The "Mission Earth" (10 volume series) by L. Ron Hubbard was addictive! I couldn't stop reading them. I had to go to 4 different libraries and check out 3 volumes at a time to go through them all without stopping (each time I got to third volume, I'd return the first two and check out the next two in sequence.)

Lots of action and you just kept wanting more and more. Probably the second best space opera after e.e. 'doc' smith's Lensman series (which has blessedly been reprinted by the book firm Old Earth Books in Baltimore Maryland). Caution: the Mission Earth series books I found in the library system were all hardbacks about the size of the Thorndike-Barnhardt high school dictionary and there's 10 of them to wade through.

I've finished reading Jack Chalker's Well World series and now I'm mostly playing the PC game "Syberia" and reading some Andre Norton books in between to give my mouse-hand a rest to avoid repetitive motion syndrome. Since Syberia is more of a thinking puzzle game with a very nice story line, than a shoot-em-up (there is NO shooting in this game), I can play it for hours without strain. No reflexes required! I'm definitely going to also buy Syberia 2 which just came out. Both games and free demos for each are available from www.gamestop.com . The free demos give a good idea of the feel for the game play. Beautiful graphics work and excellent sound/music effects in both games. If you even played Myst, this is much better and also has game characters who must be interacted with in order to solve the riddles and proceed through the story line/game.

p.s. - for anybody worried about it - the Mission Earth sci-fi books have NOTHING to do with Dianetics written by the same author.

am I the only person who only reads one book at a time? :blink:

Yes!!!

I'm reading John Saul books right now. I have fallen in love with his stories and can't seem to put them down...

I've also got an old one called HotFlashes that I'm reading...it's fiction...or suppose to be.

I'm also still reading Anne Rice when I can find one I haven't read...

Am I the only one on here that reads comic books? bookwise I'm reading Nightshift by Stephen King.

I very occasionally read comic books. I haven't done it in years though. I used to like X-Men. I would like to eventually read "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and "Death of Superman." Yeah, they're old but could be interesting.

Am I the only one on here that reads  comic books? bookwise I'm reading Nightshift by Stephen King.

I very occasionally read comic books. I haven't done it in years though. I used to like X-Men. I would like to eventually read "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and "Death of Superman." Yeah, they're old but could be interesting.

I read " Death of Superman" a few months ago, it was pretty good.

Would anyone be interested in giving me their opinion of a novella I just finished? I normally deal in much shorter fiction (under 3000 words), and this one is pushing 27,000. It's a Chutlhu-esque horror story set in the early 20's regarding a search for a forgotten pharoah's tomb. I need an outside opinion on it, as my friends always just tell me how great I am...not that I mind my ego being stroked, but some constructive reviews would be great. I can e-mail it in RTF format to anyone interested.

Would anyone be interested in giving me their opinion of a novella I just finished? I normally deal in much shorter fiction (under 3000 words), and this one is pushing 27,000. It's a Chutlhu-esque horror story set in the early 20's regarding a search for a forgotten pharoah's tomb. I need an outside opinion on it, as my friends always just tell me how great I am...not that I mind my ego being stroked, but some constructive reviews would be great. I can e-mail it in RTF format to anyone interested.

I'm interested, I love reading horror stories.

• 2 weeks later...
Just finished "The Magic Circle" by Katherine Neville. A few areas are a bit convoluted, but it was interesting and engrossing.

That was a very good book, even if it was very convoluted. I just finished "A Calculated Risk" by the same author and was very disappointed. Despite the fact that the author worked for years in high finance and would presumably know what she was talking about, I just couldn't believe it. Maybe because the characters were so lame I just couldn't get into the story.

Would anyone be interested in giving me their opinion of a novella I just finished?

There a website I think www.critters.com or something like that. If that link doesn't work do a search for critters and authors. It's an on-line organization where you submit stories to be critiqued. The catch is that you have to critique a certain amount of stories before you can submit your own. I used to belong to it (though I never actually submitted anything) and the critiques are pretty fair. Critics will praise good parts and also point out flaws, but generally will do so diplomatically. Having friends read stories is generally useless since most friends won't want to say anything negative no matter how loudly the writer proclaims that he wants an honest opinion.

Seeing as I am pregnant I decided to read  "Raising Witches" by Ashleen O'Gaea. Almost done with it though.

How is this one? I've thought about getting it, but haven't really heard any opinions of it.

It's pretty good if you're open minded. My husband doesn't really care for it. But most of the people I've talked with like it for the most part.

ttfn,

Rev. Kris

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic