Currently Reading . . .

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm reading a bunch of different things, going back and forth as to not get too bored with any one subject.

there are about 20 different books by Plato that i'm reading.

like 7 or 8 different books by Nietszche

2 books by Aristotle

2 by Voltaire

and that's about all i'm concentrating on right now. i know it seems like a lot, but i read a lot :D and i'll have those all finished in 3 weeks at the most.

I am reading The Way of Hermes, new translations of the Corpus Hermeticum and the definitions of Hermes Trismegistus to Asclepius,

Translated by

Clement Salaman

Dorine Van Oven

William D. Wharton

Jean- Pierre Mahe

This is great stuff. It is possibly the best argument and description of the nature of God I have ever read.

I'm reading Handfastings & Wedding rituals by Kaldera & Schwartzsein

I'll be reading this one in the next day or so! I can't wait! I'm currently reading Instinctive Archery Insights, Free Stuff for Busy Moms, re-reading Shogun (again) and Green Witchcraft II(again.) Does anyone have a good historical fiction book they recommend? :)

I am reading the works of St. John of the Cross (1542-1591) in the original Spanish. Very tough reading, but very interesting. St. John of the Cross was a real master of the contemplative life.

I am also reading and studying the Qur'an (an English translation).

Guest Colly

I read science fiction. Lots of it. Last week was C.J.Cherryh's 'Soul Rider' series. This week I'm re-reading Jack Chalker's books about the Well of Souls. In between, I read Margaret Balls "Mathemagics" and today I just checked out Andre Norton's "Uncharted Stars" and "the Zero Stone", and also Robert Holdstock's "Eye among the blind". I usually read between 5 & 7 books a week, so next week I'll have a different answer, though it will still be mostly sci-fi or fantasy stories. My favorite living author is probably Catherine Asaro and the sci-fi's she's written. My favorite all-time author will always be Robert Heinlein although my favorite series of books wasn't by him, it was the Lensman series by e.e.'doc' smith which should always be given as the best example of a the classic written space opera sci-fi. Laced throughout with the battle between good and evil, the Lensman series should also appeal to many in this reading room who might like a break from some of the weightier tomes I've seen listed here. Also, reading the sociology written between the lines in stories like C.J. Cherryh's 'Soul Rider' series should prove interesting. These are more thought provoking books than the Lensman series.

I've also read the entire Mission Earth series although I had to visit 4 libraries to get all the books and it took me nearly two weeks to read though all 10 volumes. Great action-packed sci-fi's even if the action was moving so fast I'd get dizzy trying to recall exactly what happened in the 10 volumes.

Now that I'm retired I get to read anything I want and re-read many of my old favorites.

-----------

Books: the cheapest time & space machines ever invented.

Edited by Colly

Well, let's see. I have a John Saul book going, Midnight Voices...not as good as some of his others. I have an Elmore Leonard, Maximum Bob going as well This one is ok.. And I've just started Anne Rice's The Feast of All Saints...slow going for some reason...not one of my favorite by Ms Rice.

Also, I'm reading Bill Waites, Aura-Reiki...interesting and informative.

I always have several books going at once, depending on my mood.

Let's see...

I'm reading:

Evolution's Shore ~ Ian McDonald

The Bible (for an OT course at the Bible college I'm attending)

Conversations with God: Book 1 ~ Neale Donald Walsch (for about the fiftieth time...)

Stranger in a Strange Land ~ Robert A. Heinlein (for about the hundredth time...)

Mindfulness in Plain English ~ Venerable Henepola Gunaratana

That about covers it at the moment.

I'm studying for a degree right now so I am reading several books;

Fragile Branches, James R. Ross (About the Jewish Diaspora)

The Wisdom of the Celts, David Adam

The Seed of Abraham, Raphael Patai

Praying with the Jewish Tradition, Elias Kopciowski

One World, One Heart, Susan Polis Schutz

The Mysterious Beyond, Terry C. Muck

Praying with Saint Teresa, Barristina Capalbo

On Union with God, Albert the Great

Looking for Mary, Beverly Donofrio

Aikido, The Way of Harmony, John Stevens

Questions of Heavens, Gretel Ehrlich ( An American Buddhist Climbs Chinese Mountains and compares the climbs with the inner journey)

Zen and the Birds of Appetite, Thomas Merton

Teachings of Buddha, Jack Kornfield

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones, Paul Reps

The Art of War, Sun Tzu

I Ching, Cleary

Tao Teh Ching, Lao Tzu

The Way of Chuang Tzu, Thomas Merton

When I finish these books I have to write a thesis on comparative religion. They are all good books. My thesis will probably be on the Feminine aspect of the Divine. It's is interesting to see how women are treated in countries where there is no feminine aspect of the Divine.

Stranger in a Strange Land ~ Robert A. Heinlein (for about the hundredth time...)

Can ya tell me a little about this one? I remember the title but can't remember if I read it or if someone told me about it.

I started reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail after I finished Da Vinci Code. Finally got I-Ching the Tao of Drumming which I waited about 4 months to come in so will start reading that soon. Have been reading Built-Ins, Storage & Spacemaking. Am currently focusing more time & energy on rearranging furniture & redecorating the house, waiting for the temperature to warm up so I can complete my refinishing jobs on a dresser & a couple other pieces. Have a whole bunch of books piled up & waiting to be read.

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic