I Know This Is Controversial To Some

From the article

...scientists dating the tome from between 568 and 645AD.

Islamic scholars believe Muhammad lived between 570 and 632AD and that he founded Islam after 610AD.

I see no contradiction between these two statements. In fact, since the dating was done on the paper rather than the ink, it seems that the evidence shows the book to have been written no earlier than is claimed.

From the article

I see no contradiction between these two statements. In fact, since the dating was done on the paper rather than the ink, it seems that the evidence shows the book to have been written no earlier than is claimed.

From the article

True.

HEADLINE- Publishers Relying Heavily On The Word "Could" As Error Margin On Radiocarbon Dating Of Qur'an Too Broad Too Prove Anything

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2015/07/quran-manuscript-22-07-15.aspx

95.4% accurate. However I believe seekers point to be the case.

95.4% accurate. However I believe seekers point to be the case.

Right. 95.4% accurate with an error margin of plus or minus 38 years. So the traditional version of history is safely within the margin of error, but that isnt a controversial enough analysis to sell papers, so they are focusing on the "could".

Right. 95.4% accurate with an error margin of plus or minus 38 years. So the traditional version of history is safely within the margin of error, but that isnt a controversial enough analysis to sell papers, so they are focusing on the "could".

I think your right. The more I read about this news the more I feel there is no story here. .

I think Huff can be good some times but like many news papers they can sensationalise that which really is not news or inaccurately report it. We have a number of papers in the UK that really are not worth the read (imo). I agree it is sometimes a good idea to take some things with a pinch of salt (as they say in the UK). Do they use that expression in the US?

I think Huff can be good some times but like many news papers they can sensationalise that which really is not news or inaccurately report it. We have a number of papers in the UK that really are not worth the read (imo). I agree it is sometimes a good idea to take some things with a pinch of salt (as they say in the UK). Do they use that expression in the US?

Close enough. It's "a grain of salt."

In newspaper reporting it all comes down to sources, resources and reporting accuracy.

I happen to enjoy the Huff, (hate the Hoff) but really enjoy most Huffington articles. Only after using below criteria (foot note)do I accept or discount their account but quite often find they (Huff) have gone farther than other reporters in digging up details. Too many of our major publications NY Times, LA & SF Chronicles etc have become so politically motivated it's difficult to separate the chaff from grain.

So, I hope no one knocks the Huffington Post simply because it's controversial. Ya never know, ya might just learn something other publications were too wishy-washy about to print!

Blessings of Peace,

In the "library days" (pre-internet) I know first hand how many volumes of seemingly contradicting resources I poured over while doing my thesis on "Troy to Moses" - a loosely held theory that the Nordic gods may (yes, may) have originated from stories revolving around actual, living people from the 2nd and 3rd cities of Troy (4200BCE-3500BCE) that trekked across Asia Minor westward and ended up in Lower Scandinavia circa 3000BCE +/- 250 years. Heinrich Schliemann and his team found residences with pottery, jewelry, weapons and other artifacts emblazoned with dozens of the latter gods names such as: Æger, Oddin, Thurg, Vill, Vee, Bor, Biga, Frig, Tiw, Himdal, Brigg, Frej, Bold etc so similar to the Nordic Pantheon it is beyond coincidence.

The Internet is no different, or in all reality worse, than our old text books regarding the accuracy of information. Books are written by "experts", "Professors", "archaeologists" who all have opinions, often based on "facts" about our historical past, but are still scholarly opinions regarding what the evidence may or may not show. As then in the library days, I do today: gather info from numerous sources, cross off the conflicting or unsubstantiated, and boil it down to what is common ground in all reports.

Edited by Atwater Vitki
  • Amulet locked this topic