Religious Tolerance ( Or Intolerance, If You Prefer)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with someone who believes something. The issue I have is with those who cannot think beyond their script to see the immoral depth of persecuting gay people, stoning people, persecuting women, persecuting other faiths, so called honour killing, sacrificing people or helpless animals, and the list goes on. This backed up with threats of hell and damnation. I kinda go with - be free to believe what you will as long as I have that same right to agree, disagree, differ, critique or not believe at all. Trouble is for some this is something they cannot do and so even from an interfaith community, sadly a line has to be drawn (imo).

There have been a number of incidents where people have been killed or persecuted for straying from the mainstream of fanatics and it is sickening (imo). It has led me to believe not all belief is to be respected.

I have no problem with someone who believes something. The issue I have is with those who cannot think beyond their script to see the immoral depth of persecuting gay people, stoning people, persecuting women, persecuting other faiths, so called honour killing, sacrificing people or helpless animals, and the list goes on. This backed up with threats of hell and damnation. I kinda go with - be free to believe what you will as long as I have that same right to agree, disagree, differ, critique or not believe at all. Trouble is for some this is something they cannot do and so even from an interfaith community, sadly a line has to be drawn (imo).

There have been a number of incidents where people have been killed or persecuted for straying from the mainstream of fanatics and it is sickening (imo). It has led me to believe not all belief is to be respected.

Hi Pete!

:thumbu:

Unfortunately, people often confuse apathy for tolerance, and so never really understand how hard tolerance is. It is only when we believe things are bad that we can tolerate them. If you don't care what your neighbor believes, it isn't tolerant to allow him to believe as he wishes. It is only when you think the other guys beliefs are harmful that you have the option to tolerate them. You tolerate pain, not pleasure. You tolerate injury, not health. You tolerate fatigue, not rest.

Tolerance is important because we cannot live our lives without causing a degree of harm to each other. We either learn to tolerate, or we are consumed with a resentment that invariably grows into hatred. So all reasonably functional members of society are reasonably tolerant. But we all have our sore spots, and some of us are slower to forgive than others.

And, yeah, there are things you probably shouldn't tolerate, and I know this is going to seem melodramatic, but I truly believe that with most of the bad stuff you either learn how to live with it or you let it kill you. No third option available.

Edited by mererdog

Interesting. You're being gay is the part I understand. There are so many gay people. Vampires, not so much.

Some things must be experienced to understand. But since you are not a Vampire I do not believe you can experience what it would be like for yourself. Just like I would never truly understand what it's like to be a woman since I am not one. But I do sincerely appreciate the tolerance you have shown even though my path does not make sense to you :).

Edited by Umbraedominus

From another topic...

Disagreement doesn't have to mean disapproval. I think there's rather sad trend in today's society inspired by or at least publicized through social media. It's the childish notion that the only way someone can truly accept you or love you is if they agree with everything you say, think, or do. That's a rather entitled way to live. Jmo

I would add that disapproving with what someone does is not always the same as disapproving of who they are. Small, subtle, highly important differences... Edited by mererdog

Some things must be experienced to understand. But since you are not a Vampire I do not believe you can experience what it would be like for yourself. Just like I would never truly understand what it's like to be a woman since I am not one. But I do sincerely appreciate the tolerance you have shown even though my path does not make sense to you :).

To a point. I don't need to be gay in order to relate to gay men. I've had the experience of being a man in love. I can extrapolate the details. I'm a reiki master. I really don't get the vampire thing. Alright -- I don't get that part. Not a problem. There are lots of things I don't get. I think that what we have in common as people is more important than all the things that separate us.

One small distinction. I do not have "tolerance" for you. I have "respect." Respect is much better. Tolerance suggests that I'm putting up with you.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

What if it involves animal cruelty or cannibalism. Luis I have the deepest respect for yòu but surely some do need challenging?

I stand openly against animal cruelty. Cannibalism is not practiced where I live, but I definitely stand against it. In Puerto Rico, USA, where I live, there are many Muslims. They have been a very important part of our community to this moment we have never had problems with them. Yes, Pete, some things have to be challenged and we must if we want to live a life of Understanding, Love, and Compassion.

I stand openly against animal cruelty. Cannibalism is not practiced where I live, but I definitely stand against it.

But doesn't your religion, at least in part, still practice sacrifice? I think that was Pete's point? Similar to the Christian God, who once ordered animal sacrifice, Hinduism has also had its episodes. http://people.opposingviews.com/hinduism-beliefs-sacrifice-4262.html

Edited by Dan56

Isn't communion symbolic cannibalism?

Its symbolic, but has nothing to do with cannibalism.. Communion is taken in remembrance of Christ, who was the bread of life and by who's blood brought in the new covenant. The bread and wine are representative of his life and sacrifice. Jesus said to take them "in remembrance of me" (Luke 22:19)

Edited by Dan56

Its symbolic, but has nothing to do with cannibalism..

Eating another person's body is cannibalism. "This is my body. Eat of it." By simple definition, it is symbolic cannibalism. By the Catholic doctrine of transubstantiation, it is actual cannibalism. I can understand not wanting the word cannibalism used in reference to your rituals, but it is what it is, you know?

But doesn't your religion, at least in part, still practice sacrifice? I think that was Pete's point? Similar to the Christian God, who once ordered animal sacrifice, Hinduism has also had its episodes. http://people.opposingviews.com/hinduism-beliefs-sacrifice-4262.html

Judaism had animal sacrifice in the Temple. If the third Temple is ever built, the sacrifices will resume.

Don't bother quoting at me. We all know about the "Lamb of God."

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

I have often had gay men hit on me, and then get mad at me when I said I was straight and tell me "don't knock it till ya try it". This is one of my pet peeves. My usual response at that point is to ask them if they have ever jumped off the empire state building, then say don't knock it till ya try it. I agree with Johnathan, I can reasonably infer that I would not be interested in homosexual intercourse from the fact that I have no interest sexually or romantically in men. I don't need to try it to know it isn't for me.

I can certainly understand the concept that some things must be experienced to really understand, but I personally find it a flawed concept. As humans, we are capable of empathy. Not all of us use that empathy, and some of us use that empathy to get things we want, such as telling someone, don't knock it till ya try it. I can feel empathy for people who are homosexual being discriminated against, not because I am homosexual, but because I have suffered different forms of discrimination, much as we all for the most part have.

In terms of spirituality, I see nothing at all wrong with telling someone about your faith, beliefs, etc... The problem comes in when ANY particular group starts singling out those who don't belong using acts of violence. Tolerance should end at another persons rights, in my opinion, and I am fairly convinced that witches should have the right to not have their heads cut off for any reason, same as free masons, Christians, Muslims, and others. Just my opinion, of course :)

I see no valid moral objection to cannibalism. There can be a legal objection on the point of property ownership of the corpse. There can be a medical objection on the point of communication of disease. It is immoral to kill to cannibalize. But there is nothing inherently immoral about eating human flesh.

As to homosexuality, I would find it emotionally confusing to be simultaneously in competition with and attracted to the same person sexually. I think the discrete compartmentalization of these two conflicting emotions that is inherent in heterosexuality is a more stable internal environment.

• Amulet locked this topic