Homeless is a tough topic. There was an encampment not far from our house that was torn down and people run off by local law enforcement. The main complaint was "sanitation"...well I don't think it would break the county's over extended budget to provide a porta-potty or two and pay the pumping fee. But then we get into the "public land, private land, utilities land" and...and...and about where the camps are usually located.

Living "homeless" by choice or by circumstance should not be treated as a societal blight, rather as a freedom of choice. Those that do not wish to continue the lifestyle usually have numerous resources available to uplift themselves and get out of their situation. Those that prefer the freedom 'homelessness' provides should be able to continue to do so without government interference...as long as they are otherwise law abiding citizens, of course.

Bottom line, society itself has placed restrictions on our Freedoms. Those that want to live free of a home can't, those that would rather move on/up/out of their situation, can't, those that would prefer a tent to stucco are told their choice is inviable. Structured society creates the problems so it should be up to the bureaucrats to fix it...like start with public job salaries...just a small cut in pay for most officials would provide funding numerous "homeless programs"...and...and...and..it is indeed a huge problem that has no easy fix, but ignoring doesn't help repair a society either.

Anyway, a rather long winded "Yeah I agree" Rev Donald and I applaud your efforts to spreading the "Good News" as you see it. I reach out as well (on a totally different track) but choice should be available to everyone, yeah?

And.... Welcome to the forum, glad ya joined us!

Blessings of Peace,

Ok, so it was somewhat misstated.... The homeless truly are in need of someone who is willing to minister to them.... I may sometimes state something wrong, with the right intentions.

lol

Sorry, I think my comment came across much harsher than I had intended. I mostly wanted to point out that even the well-intentioned (such as yourself) can easily fall in to the standard rhetoric that the homeless are in some sense undeserving.

Sorry, I think my comment came across much harsher than I had intended. I mostly wanted to point out that even the well-intentioned (such as yourself) can easily fall in to the standard rhetoric that the homeless are in some sense undeserving.

I didn't see it that way. I saw it as saying that the homeless were just as worthy as the next guy, "even" as other folks don't see them that way. Just my take.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Amulet locked this topic