The Fundamental Laws Of Thought

Coolhand

what is is, regardless of our perceptions of them. God is, for whatever we perceive God to be, whether we understand it or perceive it. All the rationale, all the philosophical debates or meanderings, will not change this truth. It is only our quest for understanding that fuels these discussions, and through them, hopefully our understanding increases.

I can appreciate that you clearly believe that "God is" but this is not established fact. What exists, exists. This is something I can agree with. But for someone to make a positive claim that God exists, regardless of all our understanding, is the opening for someone else, I suppose me in this instance, to ask for the proof.

I almost understood that.

You know what a car is. It has four wheels and an engine. You know what a bicycle is. It has two wheels and no engine. Then you see something with two wheels and an engine. Is it a car? Is it a bicycle? Is it both?

In the end, I don't think that laws in physics, or logic, are actually "laws."

They are laws the same way gravity is a theory. They explain the data. They create useful predictions. They have stood up to loads of testing. You wont get a ticket for breaking them. Edited by mererdog

You know what a car is. It has four wheels and an engine. You know what a bicycle is. It has two wheels and no engine. Then you see something with two wheels and an engine. Is it a car? Is it a bicycle? Is it both?

They are laws the same way gravity is a theory. They explain the data. They create useful predictions. They have stood up to loads of testing. You wont get a ticket for breaking them.

Yes. I get that. Neither are the "laws" of physics something out of space/time -- like a god -- forcing things to behave.

I'm not necessarily trying to "re-invent the wheel" here but there is a definition of a chair, and something else called the internet, with a semi accurate other thing called wikipedia that has a definition of a chair.......just sayin....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chair

I found three slightly, but significantly, different definitions of "chair" on the internet. An item could easily qualify under one or more while not qualifying under one or more. Now, we could all agree, for the sake of argument, to stick to the wiki definition, but there are still parts of that definition open to enough interpretation to extend the semantic argument, thereby stealing focus from the logical argument and/or confusing the issue. Edited by mererdog

I found three slightly, but significantly, different definitions of "chair" on the internet. An item could easily qualify under one or more while not qualifying under one or more. Now, we could all agree, for the sake of argument, to stick to the wiki definition, but there are still parts of that definition open to enough interpretation to extend the semantic argument, thereby stealing focus from the logical argument and/or confusing the issue.

That's okay, a lot of us are already confused anyway. :crazyeyes:

An idea can be right for one person while being wrong for another, I believe. Take medical treatment of all sorts for example. Some people respond well to sulfas, I however am allergic. If my wife has a sinus infection, perhaps bactrim is the way to go. If I have a sinus infection, not so much a good idea after all.

• Amulet locked this topic