Beheaded For Witchcraft And Sorcery

I've got to be honest with you.

I've no idea what you're talking about, because 'my point still stands' wasn't even meant for you. i appreciate that you're big enough to exhibit that you can take the high route, but I'm not the target you should use as an example.

All I was doing at the beginning was trying to take some heat away from Dan56. The man is aa target too often within this forum, or at least it seems like that.

A noble effort. Dan56 is more than capable to handle issues himself, and many times the folks debating him in one thread, may back him up in another.

He may seem to be attacked quite often, but his belief has been strong enough to withstand it and be more assertive, in my view.

As for the beheadings, it is wrong to kill anyone just because their view of beliefs are different. The "jihadist" are killing everyone for having different views or even for the belief in having something they want. Most of their victims have been those who share their religion. They are really just the new Nazis. Reason enough for me to want them stopped before millions are killed simply because it's difficult for the world to fathom the idea of that level of atrocity, again.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A noble effort. Dan56 is more than capable to handle issues himself, and many times the folks debating him in one thread, may back him up in another.

He may seem to be attacked quite often, but his belief has been strong enough to withstand it and be more assertive, in my view.

As for the beheadings, it is wrong to kill anyone just because their view of beliefs are different. The "jihadist" are killing everyone for having different views or even for the belief in having something they want. Most of their victims have been those who share their religion. They are really just the new Nazis. Reason enough for me to want them stopped before millions are killed simply because it's difficult for the world to fathom the idea of that level of atrocity, again.

However, the bible does have many examples of doing just that. Okay they say the NT changed all that but they still say that doing this was right in the OT. If I look at how the church has killed people of differing beliefs through the years since then it is hard to see the difference between ISIS. Being on a Jihad for some is fighting with oneself to overcome their bad ways and temptations. To others its killing anyone who disagrees with them. You get some bad Muslims and Christians as you do many good. (imo).

It's only cherry picking at it's best, Pete. If the old testament is no longer relevant, as has been posited, then do we throw out the ten commandments as well? If not, it is demonstrably cherry picking. Either the entire book is infallible and good, or the old testament should not have been included. If the old testament has been fulfilled, why do people who claim this very thing use parts of it to justify their standards of morality and ignore other parts, or at the least claim that those other parts which are obviously evil and reprehensible to today's society no longer apply? If one piece of the old testament applies then it all should, including the parts about stoning people, like stoning women if they come to a marriage non virgin, or stoning children who curse their parents. Yet any reasonable person can view this as what it is, evil, and not engage in such conduct. I cannot fathom why people place so much emphasis on the wonders of the bible which was written thousands of years ago by people who had limited concepts of morality.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update and side note, seems things may be changing a bit in certain areas of the mainstream religions. Hopefully it will apply to witches as well!

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-shows-christians-america-really-203719289.html

Blessings of Peace,

I wouldn't count on it. Gay Christians can still be regarded as having the true faith. As such, gay Christians can be as witch phobic as anybody else. Maybe more so since they want to be accepted. Nothing says "one of us" like picking on another group.

I wouldn't count on it. Gay Christians can still be regarded as having the true faith. As such, gay Christians can be as witch phobic as anybody else. Maybe more so since they want to be accepted. Nothing says "one of us" like picking on another group.

Yeah. I don't know why, but a lot of African-Americans have discriminatory attitudes against Gays. I can't figure it out.

What to me as a Mammonite is important is whether they will cheat you at business deals. That's where having the Lord Mammon's blessings can help you. Of course, I would expect them to cheat me. Every opportunistic businessperson of course will do that, and in particular, poor businesspeople. I only feel that He is watching out for me when I say a prayer to Mammon and offer a gift.

As an update and side note, seems things may be changing a bit in certain areas of the mainstream religions. Hopefully it will apply to witches as well!

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-shows-christians-america-really-203719289.html

Blessings of Peace,

I think things are changing a bit. The trouble is, it seems, the leaders take a long time to catch up with their membership. Yet, I do not believe it is driven from within the churches or religious bodies.. It is driven by the public. If the majority of the public was for beheading witches, I am sure it would return without a whimper from the churches. I think it is a case of if they want to have members then it does not pay to be too far out of step of the public. The western public changed its views on gay people (except a few die hards) the church then begins to modify its view on gay people. You cannot tell people that your loving and caring if the majority of the public does not agree and you cannot ask them to join if your horrible and repugnant in your views. Just look at Westbro. It makes a lot of noise but only a few will join and the majority of the public will detest their speech.

I think things are changing a bit. The trouble is, it seems, the leaders take a long time to catch up with their membership. Yet, I do not believe it is driven from within the churches or religious bodies.. It is driven by the public. If the majority of the public was for beheading witches, I am sure it would return without a whimper from the churches. I think it is a case of if they want to have members then it does not pay to be too far out of step of the public. The western public changed its views on gay people (except a few die hards) the church then begins to modify its view on gay people. You cannot tell people that your loving and caring if the majority of the public does not agree and you cannot ask them to join if your horrible and repugnant in your views. Just look at Westbro. It makes a lot of noise but only a few will join and the majority of the public will detest their speech.

I agree. Part of this is all the straight people who have discovered that they have gay friends and relatives. It's not much fun, being mean to the people we love.

I agree. Part of this is all the straight people who have discovered that they have gay friends and relatives. It's not much fun, being mean to the people we love.

True. I think it isn't inconceivable that there is virtually no one who doesn't know or is related to someone who is gay, whether in or out of the closet.

I can't help but wonder that the anti-gay stance originally came as a defiance to Rome which practiced tolerance, and in some way encouraged homosexuality. I have heard similar about Egypt in those times, but don't know for certain. So, maybe it became another way of setting themselves apart from the oppressive regimes?

True. I think it isn't inconceivable that there is virtually no one who doesn't know or is related to someone who is gay, whether in or out of the closet.

I can't help but wonder that the anti-gay stance originally came as a defiance to Rome which practiced tolerance, and in some way encouraged homosexuality. I have heard similar about Egypt in those times, but don't know for certain. So, maybe it became another way of setting themselves apart from the oppressive regimes?

From the beginning of the Protestant Church movements; the Protestants put more focus on the laity reading the Bible than the Catholic Church. The Bible is a huge source of homophobia. This is also a rich source of Jewish homophobia.

The Catholic Church was, itself, the authority in peoples lives. Protestants switched that authority to Scripture.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

From the beginning of the Protestant Church movements; the Protestants put more focus on the laity reading the Bible than the Catholic Church. The Bible is a huge source of homophobia. This is also a rich source of Jewish homophobia.

The Catholic Church was, itself, the authority in peoples lives. Protestants switched that authority to Scripture.

Continuing the thought:

It was the Protestant churches that translated church Bible Latin into the spoken language of the day. That was when the laity got to see all the awful things lurking in their book.

Of course, there were good things in the book as well. With careful cherry picking, the Bible has much to commend it.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
  • Amulet locked this topic