Beheaded For Witchcraft And Sorcery

How old do you think the brides in the bible were, Obededom? I bet some of them were under 18...just saying. And slavery? That was good to go in the bible too, wasn't it? If man cannot form a basis for morality because he is sinful, then he cannot determine right from wrong. He cannot determine whether the bible was INSPIRED by God, or the Devil, or just made up by some people, now can he? Because he isn't capable of determining, right? That was what you wrote, yes?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven King authored books but the printer prints them. Man copies them. God Authored the Bible because He said He did. If you want to believe that He did not then that is your choice.

Awesome, you've just propped up HItler's proclamation that murder was legal. Also slavery is okay in your worldview. Try passing that off on the South Side of Chicago. And pedophilia is also okay in your book because that society says it is okay. Do you see how ludicrous and inconsistent your position is? Man cannot form a basis for morality because he is sinful. Only God's Moral Standard is unchanging and applies to all equally.

Unfortunately, to the Nazis, yes, this was true. But it also was untrue to the Allies!

And, to the Bible, slavery was allowed, and children were prearranged to wed, sometimes to adults in those times. (Even now, in the Middle East.)

As to God's Moral Standard, who's God? Yours, the Muslims, the Jews, the Druids? Did it really apply to all? Why were there differences between the jews and the gentiles?

You know nothing of my worldview. I abhor slavery, murder, pedophilia and many other things. Shame on you for the assumptions!

Ludicrous is that you can not see a point and therefore must argue that it is a position sinful to your beliefs. Inconsistent only in the views that one looks at it, just as the truth, as I explained.

Awesome of you to pass judgement so rampantly!

God didn't write anything except the ten commandments. It just says; "All scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16)."For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter1:21). So clearly, the bible only claims to be authored by men who were guided by the Spirit of God.

I understand the claim. Why does the God who made all things need scribes?

How old do you think the brides in the bible were, Obededom? I bet some of them were under 18...just saying. And slavery? That was good to go in the bible too, wasn't it? If man cannot form a basis for morality because he is sinful, then he cannot determine right from wrong. He cannot determine whether the bible was INSPIRED by God, or the Devil, or just made up by some people, now can he? Because he isn't capable of determining, right? That was what you wrote, yes?

Even in contemporary times we have fringe elements that think 10 yr old brides are "perfect" for marriage. Some of these cults that have been shut down like the bigamist group in...was it Texas? Ariz?... last year or one before. The pre-teen girls were interviewed and saying the "Father was to be my husband." Whoa sort sick twist even in describing it by these gals.

Sickness of the mind is everywhere and can effect anybody of any Belief or Faith. It's sick by most people's standards to force a adolescent child into sexual relations, so if it's repulsing to humans it must be repulsing to "God" right? No - we don't have a clue what "repulses" the Supreme, if it does in fact exist.

It would appear to me that this thread's focus has been pulled away from the women who were beheaded.

Yes, this happens a lot in nearly every topic. Since this topic was posted in June - let's see associated news:

1. IS executes 3,500 in Syria since declaring 'caliphate': monitor AFP
  2. US soldiers in Syria to back anti-IS Kurds: Kurdish sources AFP
  3. France, Russia raids on Syria kill 33 IS jihadists AFP
  4. At least 100 fighters killed in Syria during storming of besieged airbase: monitor Reuters
  5. U.S.-backed Syrian alliance seizes town near Iraqi border Reuters

...to a mere 5 months later people are pulling "pranks" about beheading:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/isis-beheading-prank-mini-showroom-6922699

PRANKS of beheading!?!? are you kidding me?? So who's sicker the brainwashed jihadist of ISIS or the idiot Mini workers who felt "Team Building" meant posing for videos doing their version of mock beheading?

Intolerance is the issue here whether it's beheading, adolescent marriage, jihad, missionary work or any form of forcible indoctrination.

Though I am a devout Odhinnist I do not feel "everyone" should be an Odhinnist. It's an ethnic and cultural thing belonging to Scandinavians. Even so, only those who desire to follow the path should pursue it. Same goes for any other form of worship...those seeking it will find it. Therefore there is zero need to force others into believing one thing or another. Let each truth stand on it's own and gather its own following, eh?

Witches pretty much keep to themselves and bother few others so IS is just flat wrong if they think their "Allah" condones what they did. Fortunately there is few IS out of the billion or so members of Islam. Most Muslims are just as sickened by IS's actions as the rest of us are so it's NOT a religious thing per sé, it's a warped ideology thing.

Let's all give call, pray, send energy (whatever we each do) that this sort of intolerance ceases to make headlines and vanishes from the human activity book, eh?

Blessings of Peace,

The Bible was used as a moral justification of slavery for centuries.

So? Because people abused the Bible does that make it untrue?

The Bible says that God said that God authored the Bible. It's highly circular. Not quite the same as God doing so "Himself." I think if "Himself" had created the Bible -- it would have been a direct creation. Like the world in six days. No need for a scribe for that one. Why then does "God Himself" need scribes for "His Word?"

Since there is no authority higher than God who would He appeal to? God can only swear by Himself.

God didn't write anything except the ten commandments. It just says; "All scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16)."For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter1:21). So clearly, the bible only claims to be authored by men who were guided by the Spirit of God.

That is incorrect... but only because you seem to be giving [some] credit for Biblical writ to [fallible] man. God is the Author of the whole Bible. Man has no authorship in the Bible at all. If he did then it would not be infallible, but fallible [because man is fallible]. In it's autograph form it is infallible.

It would appear to me that this thread's focus has been pulled away from the women who were beheaded.

Ha, ha... you are correct Scott. So to direct it back on track... The Bible tells the people at that time to stone witches, sorcerers [and many more].... We do not do that in today's day and age because we put people in jail for breaking those types of laws. But we do "stone" {electric chair, lethal injection...} murderers. Sometimes justice is swift [here on earth], and sometimes they are never caught [here on earth] and seemingly get away with those things. But God states in the Bible--- "It is appointed unto man once to die, and then the Judgment". So many may get away with witchcraft and things of that evil nature their whole lives but once they die God will judge them. Only Jesus Christ can wash away those sins and make you "as if you'd never sinned" in God's eyes.

And what if the shoe were on the other foot? Since you are so convinced that your beliefs are the only correct ones, you seem to have lost the ability to see things from someone else's perspective. What if it was not witches and wizards being stoned by Christians, but Christians being loaded up into a wicker man (which Druids do not do in today's time and age). What if it is to be you and others like you standing before Pagan gods who sit in judgment upon you? I do not fear judgment from your God any more than you would fear judgment from my gods. To continue to cite as your source of authority a book that that I do not accept as such does nothing to add credence to your beliefs. My Pagan ancestors got along quite well prior to the coming of Christianity to the British Isles, and in my world view Christianity is still the new kid on the block.

Edited by Gruffydd y Dryw

And what if the shoe were on the other foot? Since you are so convinced that your beliefs are the only correct ones, you seem to have lost the ability to see things from someone else's perspective. What if it was not witches and wizards being stoned by Christians, but Christians being loaded up into a wicker man (which Druids do not do in today's time and age). What if it is to be you and others like you standing before Pagan gods who sit in judgment upon you? I do not fear judgment from your God any more than you would fear judgment from my gods. To continue to cite as your source of authority a book that that I do not accept as such does nothing to add credence to your beliefs. My Pagan ancestors got along quite well prior to the coming of Christianity to the British Isles, and in my world view Christianity is still the new kid on the block.

Seeing things from another's perspective is not a gift that we're born with. It has to be taught and learned; some of us haven't gotten there yet.

Hi Scott,

True enough, but even a small child can learn some form of empathy for others. A child can be asked, "How would you like it is someone did that to you?" Once someone can think of themselves in another's shoes, it's not a great leap to attempt to understand another's perspective. I am afraid that what is going on in this case is an unwillingness to even try to understand what another's thoughts are. Other's beliefs are seen as irrelevant since he believes his way is the only way. It appears to be a deliberate effort that fosters a lack of spiritual development. Just my opinion, of course :)

Edited by Gruffydd y Dryw

Hi Scott,

True enough, but even a small child can learn some form of empathy for others. A child can be asked, "How would you like it is someone did that to you?" Once someone can think of themselves in another's shoes, it's not a great leap to attempt to understand another's perspective. I am afraid that what is going on in this case is the unwillingness to even try to understand what another's thoughts are. Other's beliefs are seen as irrelevant since he believes his way is the only way. It appears to be a deliberate effort that fosters a lack of spiritual development. Just my opinion, of course :)

I'm all about spiritual development, so I agree with you. I believe that the only problem is the idea that one set of beliefs are better than another. It's a mentality that impedes understanding and tolerance throughout the world. I don't see how something as positive as theology can be so twisted that it can potentially cause more damage than it repairs.

Hi Scott,

True enough, but even a small child can learn some form of empathy for others. A child can be asked, "How would you like it is someone did that to you?" Once someone can think of themselves in another's shoes, it's not a great leap to attempt to understand another's perspective. I am afraid that what is going on in this case is an unwillingness to even try to understand what another's thoughts are. Other's beliefs are seen as irrelevant since he believes his way is the only way. It appears to be a deliberate effort that fosters a lack of spiritual development. Just my opinion, of course :)

Not seeing things from another's perspective is not wrong if you are the only one that is right.

A good tree cannot give bad fruit. Parts of the Bible clearly give bad fruit.

An apple tree may produce good apples, but if you pick the apples and throw them at someone else, it doesn't make the good tree bad.

Exodus 22:18 was not an order to go out and attack (kill) all witches, but an order not to allow them to live among the Hebrews. Entertaining sorcery around the temple was idolatry, tantamount to an Imam inviting a Christian into a mosque to preach Christ. So the command not to suffer a witch to live was to prevent the bad fruit from corrupting the good. Witches could live, just not on the steps of the temple. jmo

An apple tree may produce good apples, but if you pick the apples and throw them at someone else, it doesn't make the good tree bad

That is an excellent analogy, but I don't think it applies here. I see the fruit of our words as being how those words effect others, because the point of speaking seems to be the chance that another will be somehow changed in hearing what is said. So the fruit of a book like the Bible is the effect it has on others- what it inspires in them, what it justifies them doing, what it makes them ashamed of, or even whether it makes them laugh.

Clearly, the Bible has been the inspiration of atrocities. This has happened. You can blame the people for failing to umderstand the true message, but this is like blaming someone in a foreign country for not understanding English. Poor communication leads to misunderstanding. A bad tree can't give good fruit. But I want to emphasize that this does not seem to be an issue with the whole Bible. Only parts. There are parts that are used over and over to justify horrors. Those parts are clearly bad, in my view.

Edited by mererdog

True, its not necessarily the message or the messenger, but how those who receive the message respond and interpret it that determines whether its good or bad . Santa is coming, so do you load a shotgun and prepare to meet the uninvited intruder when he barges into your home? Or do you graciously anticipate a man bearing gifts? And if you don't believe in Santa, what difference does it make? The message "Santa is coming" is not the problem, but those determining whether the message is bad or good.

Edited by Dan56
  • Amulet locked this topic