Beheaded For Witchcraft And Sorcery

If man cannot determine the truth, then how can man determine whether the bible is true?

Man cannot. I found it interesting that Keystriker mentioned that only those who did the original writing or dictation would know for certain, because even those individuals wouldn't be able to confirm anything.

It was never supposed to be about what was true or what wasn't. It was only supposed to be about faith and comfort. We were supposed to take things on faith, maybe learn something, become better people, and gain comfort from it. It's unfortunate that many wish to take things too literally. It's even more unortunate that some have taken lives because of it.

Those who need something die-hard and absolute have either grown too cinical, or are simply too afraid of death to take things in any other fasion. In my opinion, those are the people I most pity, because they've never had to face death without the promise of immortality. Not really. Living with the mystery and uncertainty takes some adjustment, but it can be done. It also has the added benefit of freedom to believe what one wishes without cosmic reprisal.

Edited by scottedward
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can dig that, and agree. I don't think living with mystery takes that much adjustment. What is, is. It's all about how we respond to that mystery, whether we take it as negative or try to find the positive, as the stoics might say. At least some people can admit to faith though :) I was starting to wonder whether I would encounter any more who could.

I can dig that, and agree. I don't think living with mystery takes that much adjustment. What is, is. It's all about how we respond to that mystery, whether we take it as negative or try to find the positive, as the stoics might say. At least some people can admit to faith though :) I was starting to wonder whether I would encounter any more who could.

I'm appreciate your response. i feel sometimes that I am in a silent minority, and it isn't because of what I might be missing.

and as man wrote the bible? God never sat down at a desk and used a pen. Men did. So you say men lie. Interesting.

Steven King authored books but the printer prints them. Man copies them. God Authored the Bible because He said He did. If you want to believe that He did not then that is your choice.

Morality isn't solely exclusive to the Bible, or religion for that matter. It is dependant on what society deems appropriate or mutually compliant.

Awesome, you've just propped up HItler's proclamation that murder was legal. Also slavery is okay in your worldview. Try passing that off on the South Side of Chicago. And pedophilia is also okay in your book because that society says it is okay. Do you see how ludicrous and inconsistent your position is? Man cannot form a basis for morality because he is sinful. Only God's Moral Standard is unchanging and applies to all equally.

Edited by ObedEdom

Steven King authored books but the printer prints them. Man copies them. God Authored the Bible because He said He did. If you want to believe that He did not then that is your choice.

Awesome, you've just propped up HItler's proclamation that murder was legal. Also slavery is okay in your worldview. Try passing that off on the South Side of Chicago. And pedophilia is also okay in your book because that society says it is okay. Do you see how ludicrous and inconsistent your position is? Man cannot form a basis for morality because he is sinful. Only God's Moral Standard is unchanging and applies to all equally.

The Bible was used as a moral justification of slavery for centuries. Edited by mererdog

The Bible says that God said that God authored the Bible. It's highly circular. Not quite the same as God doing so "Himself." I think if "Himself" had created the Bible -- it would have been a direct creation. Like the world in six days. No need for a scribe for that one. Why then does "God Himself" need scribes for "His Word?"

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

God didn't write anything except the ten commandments. It just says; "All scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16)."For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter1:21). So clearly, the bible only claims to be authored by men who were guided by the Spirit of God.

It would appear to me that this thread's focus has been pulled away from the women who were beheaded.

That happens a lot :)... But on a related note, the apostle Paul was beheaded for an unpopular belief too. Not a whole lot of freedom in the old days, unlike today when religious tolerance is respected and we see no radicals spouting such terror :)

Edited by Dan56

you aren't serious are you?murder,slavery and pedophilia are ok by society's standards?is that why"15 will get you 30,or more?"

and according to the bible,it's ok to kill people who are accused of being witches.you have no problem with that?

Edited by mark 45

That happens a lot :)... But on a related note, the apostle Paul was beheaded for an unpopular belief too. Not a whole lot of freedom in the old days, unlike today when religious tolerance is respected and we see no radicals spouting such terror :)

I would like to believe that religion in all of its many forms are respected.

It's a shame that so many try so completely to make it next to impossible.

Yes, and the British Druids (and Druidesses) were massacred by the Romans as well :( While the Romans were frequently tolerant of other religions, they feared that the Druids were too politically influential, and probably felt that the early Christianity was also too subversive. The Romans seemed to fear ideas even more than military might.

Edited by Gruffydd y Dryw

Yes, and the British Druids (and Druidesses) were massacred by the Romans as well :( While the Romans were frequently tolerant of other religions, they feared that the Druids were too politically influential, and probably felt that the early Christianity was also too subversive. The Romans seemed to fear ideas even more than military might.

Good morning, Gruffydd. Been a while, so welcome back.

I agree with this. I agree that the Romans were already far too aware that an idea, be it religious, social or what-have-you, was far more difficult to conquer than any army.

• Amulet locked this topic