Beheaded For Witchcraft And Sorcery

Nevertheless... witchcraft is sin according to the Bible. Punishment in the here and now is determined by each culture's system of judgment; which can be wide-ranging. There is also a judgment after we physically die. Unless repentance and faith in Jesus Christ are realized then the consequences for witchcraft, for any sin for that matter, will be eternal [because Judgment is set against those who do not call on the Name of Jesus].

I expect that the people being murdured for "witchcraft" have their own ideas about "sin." Things like murder, for instance.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect that the people being murdured for "witchcraft" have their own ideas about "sin." Things like murder, for instance.

In some cases, they didn't disagree about whether it was wrong to kill witches, but only about who was (or was not) a witch. Edited by mererdog

I do not believe that Christianity holds the majority of those who attack those who are charged with performing malevolent spiritual acts. I believe now as in the past the common denominators for such attacks are ignorance, stupidity, and projecting ones personal malevolence onto others.The common denominators for the end of such attacks are education, civilization and prosperity..

The modern aspiritual equvalent of accusing witches of causing your problems is the delusional blaming of big corporations, the rich, or the right wing conspiracy for causing ones problems.

The modern aspiritual equvalent of accusing witches of causing your problems is the delusional blaming of big corporations, the rich, or the right wing conspiracy for causing ones problems.

It is worth pointing out that big corporations and the rich are neither imaginary nor incapable of causing problems. So while some of the accusations made about them are delusional, others are factual. The same is true of some right wing conspiracies but not all. Do you think it is true of witchcraft and sorcery? Edited by mererdog

It is worth pointing out that big corporations and the rich are neither imaginary nor incapable of causing problems. So while some of the accusations made about them are delusional, others are factual. The same is true of some right wing conspiracies but not all. Do you think it is true of witchcraft and sorcery?

It would seem kind of funny for a God to worry about witchcraft or sorcery unless He feels, no, says they are real by forbidding it. You think? What would an omnipotent God have to fear from mortals, even magical ones?

Edited by Keystrikr

Yes, just because one is paranoid does not mean someone is not out to get you, but neither does it diminish the irrational paranoia.

What is common among accusers of witches and riches is an intellectually underdeveloped, possibly passive aggressive, need to blame others instead of taking responsibility for the direction and outcome of ones life.

It would seem kind of funny for a God to worry about witchcraft or sorcery unless He feels, no, says they are real by forbidding it. You think? What would an omnipotent God have to fear from mortals, even magical ones?

I am fairly certain, however, that the vast majority of people in the United States do not believe that witches or sorcery are a real thing. So punishing someone for being a witch is assumed to be as ridiculous an act as punishing someone for being Peter Pan.

Yes, just because one is paranoid does not mean someone is not out to get you, but neither does it diminish the irrational paranoia.

And yet, when people are out to get you, it isn't paranoia to think they are. Rational fear of real danger, you know?

I am fairly certain, however, that the vast majority of people in the United States do not believe that witches or sorcery are a real thing. So punishing someone for being a witch is assumed to be as ridiculous an act as punishing someone for being Peter Pan.

And yet, when people are out to get you, it isn't paranoia to think they are. Rational fear of real danger, you know?

But it brings to question, what would an all powerful God have against those practicing magic? Not all magic is dark or satanic. Some are even used for good and well being. Thoughts?

Yes, we are to "judge" people who practice witchcraft by telling them it is wrong; it is sin. What we cannot do however is judge their hearts. That is between them and God. I have had to point out this distinction many, many times because people take the "Judge not lest ye be judged" passage way out of context.

Second question: No, because when someone obeys God and does what He tells them it is within God's bounds. Witchcraft is a perversion of those bounds, a perversion of His right way. Spiritual contact, as long as it is done how God prescribes in the Bible, is perfectly fine.

Example: Using the Name of Jesus to cast a devil out of somebody.

The flipside: Trying to contact a dead relative through a seance or some sort of thing like that. God says don't do that: Especially if you are not born again through faith in Jesus Christ. You open yourself up to severe demonic oppresion and possession. Not obeying God gives the Devil and his demonic cohorts the legal right to do certain things to you. You see, God is just as just with the Devil as He is with you.

Those who practice witchcraft and other related "groups" are on VERY dangerous ground. I have been there... at the point of death. I know what I am talking about. If I had died in that situation I would have gone to hell. I thank God that He had allowed grace to come my way and keep me from being killed. I eventually repented and gave my life to Jesus Christ. But I could have just as easily rejected the pull of the Holy Spirit and continued on the same dark path. The two that tried to kill me are in prison for the rest of their lives. And they were both my close friends.

Sorry, had to revisit this post.

I still don't understand how that passage was taken out of context. You are saying we can judge someone, but only God knows what's in their hearts, thus we can be wrong. How can that be justifiable?

Who's to say someone judged another as a witch and killed them, following the command, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live," but it turns out the person was really a vessel of God's miracle at work? Unless you mean they judge and do nothing. (Which to me is almost as bad, but with the good fortune of a life spared.)

Nevertheless... witchcraft is sin according to the Bible. Punishment in the here and now is determined by each culture's system of judgment; which can be wide-ranging. There is also a judgment after we physically die. Unless repentance and faith in Jesus Christ are realized then the consequences for witchcraft, for any sin for that matter, will be eternal [because Judgment is set against those who do not call on the Name of Jesus].

I'm surprised that I have to say this. Still, nobody else has.

It is an awful, despicable thing, to gaze upon the victims of religious violence -- and expound on their alleged "sin." It is providing justification for monsters, whose hands are red with the blood of the innocent.

But it brings to question, what would an all powerful God have against those practicing magic?

I have no idea.

Not all magic is dark or satanic. Some are even used for good and well being.

Well, lots of people say that isn't true. Personally, I have no real reason to believe either way. Experience with other things tells me, however, that evil does not always look evil and the greatest evils are always perpetrated in the name of doing good. You know what I mean?

Different cultures over the past millenia have had different punishments for witchcraft. In Old Testament Biblical times it was "suffer not a witch to live" which is obviously Capitol Punishment. Back then they lived under the Law of Moses. Now we do not live under law but under grace. That being said even a murder has a relatively long period of time in which to repent of his sins before he is put to death by whatever laws that Country dictates. Back in Biblical times I get the connotation that people who were witches were put to death fairly quickly. But even then one could not put to death someone on the testimony of only one witness... but by two or three witnesses.

This action of IS smacks of the woman caught in adultery in John chapter 8; and the Salem Witch Trials: They didn't do it because they were righteous; they did it because the wanted to tempt Jesus and because they were hypocrites and wanted to justify themselves. All were egged on by the media hype of the day.

And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

----- So... I suspect these IS people did not execute these women because they wanted to righteously fulfill their law, they were doing it because they were hypocrites and wanted to justify themselves. Thinking that if they obey the law in one point that that absolves them of guilt in other points. It doesn't. The Bible says that if a person offends in one point of the law... he is guilty of ALL. So although I am not a witch if I have ever told a lie I am also guilty of being a witch, a homosexual, a murderer, a thief etc.....

An interesting point to notice in the Biblical account is that Jesus never told the Scribes and Pharisees to NOT execute the woman. [for that is what the law prescribed]

Also of interest is that I had family involved in the Salem Witch Trials... one of which was hanged.

That is a very nuanced take. I don't agree with it, but I wanted to repeat it. Edited by mererdog

But it brings to question, what would an all powerful God have against those practicing magic? Not all magic is dark or satanic. Some are even used for good and well being. Thoughts?

God's command against sorcery was only directed to His people, He didn't want it among them. Witchcraft was a form of idolatry that polluted His truth, so the idea was not to permit such deviations. Permitting a witch to practice sorcery among the Israelites was tantamount to a Muslim permitting a Christian to preach Christ in a mosque. A witch masquerading as a Hebrew was the offense. I imagine a witch would have the option of being excommunicated, but if they refuse to leave, your options are limited to eliminating them or allowing them to defile God's chosen. Quite a quagmire, but the answer might be that its not wise to try and ram one religion down another religions throat, because trouble is bound to ensue.

If God is all powerful, all knowing and all loving, then he loves witches, witchcraft, satanism, and everything else too. If he is all powerful, no other being could have created magic or witchcraft, God being all powerful means he is responsible for the creation of EVERYTHING. Since God can do no wrong, then creating witchcraft must not have been wrong. Since everything God does is good and we are supposed to emulate him, and everything God does is a type of magic, then we should all take up the practice of magic. Just some considerations.

So I guess by that standard Dan you will not try convert people from one religion to yours or they will have the right not to suffer you to live.

Or is it just evil to do such a thing

Correct, I would never intrude into another religions congregation for the purpose disrupting the belief they share. But if I was bold enough to do so, I'd expect to be thrown out and experience some serious repercussions if I refused to leave. Its not evil to throw the fox out of the hen house.

If God is all powerful, all knowing and all loving, then he loves witches, witchcraft, satanism, and everything else too. If he is all powerful, no other being could have created magic or witchcraft, God being all powerful means he is responsible for the creation of EVERYTHING. Since God can do no wrong, then creating witchcraft must not have been wrong. Since everything God does is good and we are supposed to emulate him, and everything God does is a type of magic, then we should all take up the practice of magic. Just some considerations.

God created us with free-will, but that doesn't mean he loves our choices.. God didn't create sin, that is our choice., God is love, but he is not all loving.. God is not the author of sorcery, familiar spirits, or witchcraft. These things exist because we choose them and are capable of doing wrong. God is good,

Correct, I would never intrude into another religions congregation for the purpose disrupting the belief they share. But if I was bold enough to do so, I'd expect to be thrown out and experience some serious repercussions if I refused to leave. Its not evil to throw the fox out of the hen house.

God created us with free-will, but that doesn't mean he loves our choices.. God didn't create sin, that is our choice., God is love, but he is not all loving.. God is not the author of sorcery, familiar spirits, or witchcraft. These things exist because we choose them and are capable of doing wrong. God is good,

You cannot have it both ways. If your God did not create sin, then He is not the source or everything. He is not all powerful and omni this or that. If anything can exist outside your God, then he cannot be ALL.

You cannot have it both ways. If your God did not create sin, then He is not the source or everything. He is not all powerful and omni this or that. If anything can exist outside your God, then he cannot be ALL.

The problem with any reasoning involving an all powerful being is that anything that can't defy logic is not all powerful. By definition, if God is all powerful, God can have it both ways. He can make the rock so heavy even He cannot lift it, and he can lift it. It doesn't have to make sense. If it has to make sense, He isn't all powerful.
  • Amulet locked this topic