A Course In Miracles

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've picked up and read my copy of "A Course in Miracles". I bought it long ago because it piqued the curiosity of mentalization (that a word?) or mind power. Never finished it, though.

While a bit much to read, I found it interesting, at least a bit. Been meaning to pick it up again.

Now, I thought, through my brothers and sisters here, I could get an opinion on it by people I actually have had some form of interaction with.

Has anyone here actually read and or studied it? What is your opinion of it?

I'm curious if I might derive anything more than mere entertainment from it.

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've picked up and read my copy of "A Course in Miracles". I bought it long ago because it piqued the curiosity of mentalization (that a word?) or mind power. Never finished it, though.

While a bit much to read, I found it interesting, at least a bit. Been meaning to pick it up again.

Now, I thought, through my brothers and sisters here, I could get an opinion on it by people I actually have had some form of interaction with.

Has anyone here actually read and or studied it? What is your opinion of it?

I'm curious if I might derive anything more than mere entertainment from it.

I tried to read it but there was so much Christian gobbledegook in it that i had to put it down.

I tried to read it but there was so much Christian gobbledegook in it that i had to put it down.

Yes, there is seemingly quite a bit. I read a review that said it used Christian terminology to hide teachings of occult beliefs.

While I thought of it along the lines of being Gnostic before I even knew what Gnostic was.

That's how I continue to view it for some reason.

Anyway, thank you for your input, Brother Kaman.

I've been reading/studying it "off and on" for many years. I find the information contained in the course to be factual and in-line with that which was revealed to me during my own spiritual experience (where I was granted an ALL-ENCOMPASSING AWARENESS of the TRUTH).

Miracles are the result of an act of Pure Faith and are possible if one TRUELY BELIEVES that it's possible! The recipient need not believe, or even be aware of another's action, to be the beneficiary of the act of Faith, but must be willing to profit from the act. (You can't save the life of a man intent on killing himself.)

Besides having often participated in numerous Prayer Groups and Mediations (once, we prayed for Divine intercession for a critically injured patient that made a miraculous recovery), I have personally witnessed two life-saving miracles.

The first time-

In May of 1990, a friend of mine (who had been constantly sick for several months) went to the doctor. After several series of tests, the doctor told her that the test results confirmed that she was HIV+, had an elevated T-cell count, and would soon have full-blown AIDS. Knowing that there was no cure for the disease, she was scared to death. When she asked me to pray for her, I asked her if she believed in GOD. She said, "No, but I know you do." I told her to lay on her back on the floor, and with my hands hovering inches above her, I prayed for GOD to remove the virus from her body. (She told me later that she could "feel" the heat from my hands.) A week later, she called to tell me that she had applied and been accepted at a hospice for AIDS patients. However, before they would admit her, she'd have to be re-tested by their team of doctors. Having already been tested twice before (with the diagnosis confirmed twice), she was disappointed in the delay, but submitted to yet another series of tests. After another couple of days she was standing at my door with tears in her eyes, and the biggest smile I'd ever seen. She told me that the latest tests had come back, and she was "clean". Her T-cell count was normal, and she hadn't been sick since the day I prayed over her. The doctors blamed their misdiagnosis on faulty testing. She credited me with her "cure". I credit GOD.

The second time-

In June of 1999, I was working on a construction site just outside of Washington, DC. The building was to house an internet server and there was a "rush" to complete the job before schedule. Men of every trade were being pushed to work faster and for longer hours than would be normally acceptable. It was an "accident" waiting to happen... And it did... One of the men employed to erect an exterior wall was walking on an in-completed catwalk and failed to notice that the grating wasn't set properly. He fell 14', head-first, and landed on the concrete floor beneath. (It happened directly behind me, and I can still hear the sound of his head splitting when he hit.) Having been trained in emergency response, I ran to the phone to call 911. When I returned to the scene, a crowd had gathered, staring at him. He was lying still on the floor, his arms and legs bent in un-natural positions. I asked one of the guys in the group if anyone had checked for vitals.

"He's dead," he said.

I asked, "Are you sure?"

"He's not breathing, and his brains are all over the floor. He's dead."

"Did you check for a pulse?"

"You check... I'm not touching him."

I bent down and looked closely. He wasn't conscious. He wasn't breathing. I picked up his wrist. No pulse. I let his arm drop.

I prayed. "GOD, please don't let him die."

I decided to check for a pulse at the jugular. I touched his neck... INSTANTLY, he let out a scream and started trying to get up. Then the ambulance arrived, and I went outside and puked my guts out.

The man lived...

Of course, "Miracles" performed here in the physical sphere are subject to personal interpretation... What I consider to be a "miracle" might be considered by another to be pure coincidence. The miracles I witnessed and participated in were not MY doing... They were GOD's work.

Edited by Songster

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading/studying it "off and on" for many years. I find the information contained in the course to be factual and in-line with that which was revealed to me during my own spiritual experience (where I was granted an ALL-ENCOMPASSING AWARENESS of the TRUTH).

Miracles are the result of an act of Pure Faith and are possible if one TRUELY BELIEVES that it's possible! The recipient need not believe, or even be aware of another's action, to be the beneficiary of the act of Faith, but must be willing to profit from the act. (You can't save the life of a man intent on killing himself.)

Besides having often participated in numerous Prayer Groups and Mediations (once, we prayed for Divine intercession for a critically injured patient that made a miraculous recovery), I have personally witnessed two life-saving miracles.

The first time-

In May of 1990, a friend of mine (who had been constantly sick for several months) went to the doctor. After several series of tests, the doctor told her that the test results confirmed that she was HIV+, had an elevated T-cell count, and would soon have full-blown AIDS. Knowing that there was no cure for the disease, she was scared to death. When she asked me to pray for her, I asked her if she believed in GOD. She said, "No, but I know you do." I told her to lay on her back on the floor, and with my hands hovering inches above her, I prayed for GOD to remove the virus from her body. (She told me later that she could "feel" the heat from my hands.) A week later, she called to tell me that she had applied and been accepted at a hospice for AIDS patients. However, before they would admit her, she'd have to be re-tested by their team of doctors. Having already been tested twice before (with the diagnosis confirmed twice), she was disappointed in the delay, but submitted to yet another series of tests. After another couple of days she was standing at my door with tears in her eyes, and the biggest smile I'd ever seen. She told me that the latest tests had come back, and she was "clean". Her T-cell count was normal, and she hadn't been sick since the day I prayed over her. The doctors blamed their misdiagnosis on faulty testing. She credited me with her "cure". I credit GOD.

The second time-

In June of 1999, I was working on a construction site just outside of Washington, DC. The building was to house an internet server and there was a "rush" to complete the job before schedule. Men of every trade were being pushed to work faster and for longer hours than would be normally acceptable. It was an "accident" waiting to happen... And it did... One of the men employed to erect an exterior wall was walking on an in-completed catwalk and failed to notice that the grating wasn't set properly. He fell 14', head-first, and landed on the concrete floor beneath. (It happened directly behind me, and I can still hear the sound of his head splitting when he hit.) Having been trained in emergency response, I ran to the phone to call 911. When I returned to the scene, a crowd had gathered, staring at him. He was lying still on the floor, his arms and legs bent in un-natural positions. I asked one of the guys in the group if anyone had checked for vitals.

"He's dead," he said.

I asked, "Are you sure?"

"He's not breathing, and his brains are all over the floor. He's dead."

"Did you check for a pulse?"

"You check... I'm not touching him."

I bent down and looked closely. He wasn't conscious. He wasn't breathing. I picked up his wrist. No pulse. I let his arm drop.

I prayed. "GOD, please don't let him die."

I decided to check for a pulse at the jugular. I touched his neck... INSTANTLY, he let out a scream and started trying to get up. Then the ambulance arrived, and I went outside and puked my guts out.

The man lived...

Of course, "Miracles" performed here in the physical sphere are subject to personal interpretation... What I consider to be a "miracle" might be considered by another to be pure coincidence. The miracles I witnessed and participated in were not MY doing... They were GOD's work.

Great stories. Thank you for sharing.

Still looking for my copy. I know it's in a storage container in my garage somewhere, just got to keep myself motivated to dig through the rafters to find it. LOL

But, when I do, would you mind if I tap you for questions if I have any in the near future?

• 1 year later...

I also have been studying the course for 15 years or more.  It is  to me what kept me in the world of spirituality.  The logic for  me is what keeps  me interested.  It does have unanswered questions for me but very little compared to anything else.  I give on nothing though unless if just does not make any sense for me.

I have read the book more than once and worked the workbook also.  I used to spend a lot of time in the ACIM room and paltalk but not as much these days.

• Like 2