Jehovah's Witnesses Make Significant Donation To Schools

Source: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/jehovah-s-witnesses-donate-publications-to-guatemalan-schools/article/432961

I thought this was really interesting, for several reasons.

• Almost half of Guatemalans are Roman Catholic with about 25 to 40 percent of the population being Protestant. Yet they asked for the teachings of the JW's because they were available, accessible and in the correct language.
  • Professor Maria Cortez stated that the publications were requested “to rescue the values and moral principles that are much needed in society.”
  • And now some of the materials, specifically a video, have been added to the actual school curriculm.

The original goal was to help curb youth crime in the country, where they also have one the highest child homicide rates in the world.

Assuming you are not a JW (cause I am guessing JW's would be happy with the work) can you see value in the teaching, and use of their materials in this, or do you think it is off base, and can't help and may even cause more strife?

The article, which I did source at the top, is a good and concise read of the topic.

Hello WitchHazel,

I could see there being some use for materials teaching "generic" moral values, such as sharing, being kind to others, not stealing, etc. Because most of the material is Bible "stories" aimed at children, I don't know how much of more advanced JW specific teachings are present in them. That would be my main concern. I wonder how much doctrine is in the Q & A book for young people. Teaching people not to lie is fine, but teaching children that only 144,000 people can go to heaven, not to take blood transfusions, that the "last days" of the world began in 1914, etc., would not be useful and perhaps counterproductive. Just my :TwoCents: .

Edited by Arglwydd Gruffudd

I know first hand the JW are usually a very kind and generous group and I have enjoyed getting to know several on a deep, personal level. My only angst is the "we're right, you're wrong" attitude concerning their religion...even the one's I know personally have a bit of heartburn over the 144,000 but they all admit it keeps them working hard to be one of that number.

And hey, when a teacher is faced with being a forgotten number in a third world country as expected they would take help from any source willing to give. The Guatemalans are a hearty and robust crowd and I don't suspect they will allow any missionary to just waltz in and lay down the religion, but if it serves a means to an end I would think teacher, parent and child alike would grab hold and hang on to any sort of help...they can argue out the conversions later but one has to be alive to argue out the details later :whist: don't ya think?

Desperation put people in a precarious position that few of us truly understand. Taking help from one source when no one else offers is also a big part of the picture.

and just my 2¢ as well...

Blessings of Peace,

Source: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/jehovah-s-witnesses-donate-publications-to-guatemalan-schools/article/432961

I thought this was really interesting, for several reasons.

• Almost half of Guatemalans are Roman Catholic with about 25 to 40 percent of the population being Protestant. Yet they asked for the teachings of the JW's because they were available, accessible and in the correct language.
  • Professor Maria Cortez stated that the publications were requested “to rescue the values and moral principles that are much needed in society.”
  • And now some of the materials, specifically a video, have been added to the actual school curriculm.

The original goal was to help curb youth crime in the country, where they also have one the highest child homicide rates in the world.

Assuming you are not a JW (cause I am guessing JW's would be happy with the work) can you see value in the teaching, and use of their materials in this, or do you think it is off base, and can't help and may even cause more strife?

The article, which I did source at the top, is a good and concise read of the topic.

First, what does that even mean? Is this something more than platitudes?

Second, by what means are the donated materials supposed to achieve these ends -- what ever they are?

Vague ill defined goals and an even more vague, ill defined process, are not going to go anywhere useful.

If religious text is all they are receiving, I see it as a neutral benefit. Those studying such text are apt to reduce their own criminal involvement, at the least, if they believe what they are taught. But I think a good step further would be to send educational materials on a variety of subjects, not just those espoused by the jw. There are plenty of studies showing links between education and reduction in crime rates. I don't specifically know of any off hand about the reduction of crime rates with regards to the introduction of religious ideas, but I am sure someone could research such if they were inclined. Nix that, just tried looking for an hour about statistics of crime in countries with religious teachings, couldn't find much of anything.

If religious text is all they are receiving, I see it as a neutral benefit. Those studying such text are apt to reduce their own criminal involvement, at the least, if they believe what they are taught. But I think a good step further would be to send educational materials on a variety of subjects, not just those espoused by the jw. There are plenty of studies showing links between education and reduction in crime rates. I don't specifically know of any off hand about the reduction of crime rates with regards to the introduction of religious ideas, but I am sure someone could research such if they were inclined. Nix that, just tried looking for an hour about statistics of crime in countries with religious teachings, couldn't find much of anything.

America's prisons -- with the rest of the world -- overflow with Christian criminals. It follows that all this religious instruction can't be all that effective in reducing crime.

that is very true, but having spent a little time in those institutions, I can certainly attest that many of the Christian criminals are those who convert after incarceration, and that some of them just lose all those supposed values when they get freedom. I am not saying they are the only ones, of course, just saying that might skew the stats a little.

To be honest, I know very little about the Jehovah's Witness religion. And the little that I have read of their literature is not very convincing, Nevertheless, I would like to know how their literature is going to help the Guatemalan children restore their values and reduce criminality. The Guatemalan people must have seen something of value in their literature.

Hermano Luis

that is very true, but having spent a little time in those institutions, I can certainly attest that many of the Christian criminals are those who convert after incarceration, and that some of them just lose all those supposed values when they get freedom. I am not saying they are the only ones, of course, just saying that might skew the stats a little.

Uh-huh. Before prison, they weren't real Christians. They became real Christians after they were convicted of their crimes. when they got out, they lost those shiny new convictions. Uh-huh.

Shall we take off the stupid hats now? Career criminals learn how to game the system. That includes washing their shiny new hearts and souls in the blood of the Lamb -- until they get out and they can be their authentic rotten selves. Grow up. Or stop playing Devil's advocate.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

To be honest, I know very little about the Jehovah's Witness religion. And the little that I have read of their literature is not very convincing, Nevertheless, I would like to know how their literature is going to help the Guatemalan children restore their values and reduce criminality. The Guatemalan people must have seen something of value in their literature.

Hermano Luis

It's only three schools. And the value seems to be that they are printed in a very rare language, and are free. It looks like a beggars can't be choosers moment.
  • Amulet locked this topic