Sent this to my club brothers earlier tonight:

"Hey guys, I want you guys to hear this first from me rather than from someone who does not care enough to get the facts straight.

I have made the decision to get out of ministry completely EXCEPT for Warriors of the Cross MC. I am resigning my credential with the Assemblies of God, I have resigned from New Life Assembly of God in Ramona, and I have withdrawn from the seminary that I was attending.

Over the last 20 years, I have been involved in church and attempting to grow as a minister and I feel that I have been continually taken advantage of and loaded down with work loads that are not mine, and honestly, I have had enough. I am tired of being asked for money, time, and whatever else they can think of all in the name of "serving the Lord" and "building the kingdom."

I am burned out, fed up, and not doing it any more. I originally got involved with the church because I wanted to serve the Lord, I pursued a credential to validate that I was a legit minister, and I enrolled in seminary because I thought the point was to "correctly handle the word of truth" (2 Tim 2:15). What actually happened was that "serving the Lord" became building the business, the "validation" became a tool of the denomination to compel me to me to do more and more to help the (business) financial bottom line, and "correctly handling the word of truth" goes against the grain of the business machine that we refer to as the contemporary church; they would rather misquote, misrepresent, and use the word for their own purposes.

Because of all this, I have fallen behind at work, my wife has felt like she has been the last on my list, and I have been pushing the limits of fatigue and insanity trying to get it all done.

My relationship and commitment to the Lord is strong and healthy and my commitment to the club (real ministry) is the same as it has ever been, nothing to worry about.

That is the truth, if you hear anything other than that, it is someone's opinion."

By the way, I renewed my ULC ordination in April of this year (2015).

Sent this to my club brothers earlier tonight:

"Hey guys, I want you guys to hear this first from me rather than from someone who does not care enough to get the facts straight.

I have made the decision to get out of ministry completely EXCEPT for Warriors of the Cross MC. I am resigning my credential with the Assemblies of God, I have resigned from New Life Assembly of God in Ramona, and I have withdrawn from the seminary that I was attending.

Over the last 20 years, I have been involved in church and attempting to grow as a minister and I feel that I have been continually taken advantage of and loaded down with work loads that are not mine, and honestly, I have had enough. I am tired of being asked for money, time, and whatever else they can think of all in the name of "serving the Lord" and "building the kingdom."

I am burned out, fed up, and not doing it any more. I originally got involved with the church because I wanted to serve the Lord, I pursued a credential to validate that I was a legit minister, and I enrolled in seminary because I thought the point was to "correctly handle the word of truth" (2 Tim 2:15). What actually happened was that "serving the Lord" became building the business, the "validation" became a tool of the denomination to compel me to me to do more and more to help the (business) financial bottom line, and "correctly handling the word of truth" goes against the grain of the business machine that we refer to as the contemporary church; they would rather misquote, misrepresent, and use the word for their own purposes.

Because of all this, I have fallen behind at work, my wife has felt like she has been the last on my list, and I have been pushing the limits of fatigue and insanity trying to get it all done.

My relationship and commitment to the Lord is strong and healthy and my commitment to the club (real ministry) is the same as it has ever been, nothing to worry about.

That is the truth, if you hear anything other than that, it is someone's opinion."

By the way, I renewed my ULC ordination in April of this year (2015).

Sorry, brother, got tripped by "renewed". ULC is lifetime, so never need be renewed. Unless you got ordained by those other ULC guys.

Nevertheless, glad you stood up for yourself. Your starting intentions were good, but you were taken for granted, and taken advantage of. Now you can do what does your heart the most good without the constraints of an orthodoxed religious church.

Welcome home, friend.

Edited by Keystrikr

Congrats on choosing to follow what is best for you!

I have to admit your post reminds me of some research I did last year, when I was looking at employee engagement. Faith leaders, and more specifically those that were Christian leaders, were not very happy as a whole. In fact the data from the 2011 study of America's Religious Organziations, stated that many pastors felt disconnected, and as if they had no one they could confide in. The pressure to answer to the board, and the congregation, and lead volunteers, and always been in a position of leading, and positivity takes its toll. Seldom is there a person there for the actual pastor.

Not to mention the need of having to raise funds, and make worship a business, often even raising their own salaries. I think anyone that has ever worked with a non-profit can relate to the idea of working for the "love of it" not for the "hours or the money". And in that same line there is often not money available for training, or support, although the pastor (often with out any training) is placed in a position of having to meet many needs. The burn out rate is high, and with good reason, that is easy to see, easy to see coming, but not easy to change.

I am glad you have found a path that makes sense for you, and your schedule; so you can go forward in work that you most obviously believe in and are committed to doing.

Glad see you back with us, I hate that any church has done that to you. As Panpareil pointed out, there are lots of parallels to be draw between your story and that of Kirby Hensley. That is what has drawn and keeps many of us coming back to our home here with the ULC.

When Jesus sent out his 12, he instructed them to; "Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,

Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat" (Matthew 10:9-10).

I suspect he knew that money is problematic and interferes with carrying the gospel message, so I doubt he wanted his apostles to get all bogged down with things that would misdirect their focus away from their primary objective. Its good that you put your foot down against all the additional responsibilities that distracted you from a simple goal, which never included building a business. That's a problem with many churches. they get all tangled-up in non-spiritual matters; "Whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things" (Philippians 3:9).. Keep it simple and free :)

Edited by Dan56
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got back in town, thank you all for your kind words.

The first thing that people have said when this has come up is usually about a crisis of faith or a loss of faith. My relationship with God, as I understand God, is still very good, my Biblical studies continue, and the ministry that I have been called to is still going strong.

I recently had a phone conversation with one of the sectional leaders about this. He was told to call me and make some sort of a concession to see if it could be worked out. I told him no, there was nothing to work out. But I gave them a few things to look into about a close friend that is still in their system that I feel like is being taken advantage of.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad that your faith is still as strong as it ever was - if not stronger by these circumstances.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I pray that ministry's success is counted by hearts saved, not money made.

Well said. I like the sentiment of your mantra. ;)

• Amulet locked this topic