Dreams

In my particular brand of Druidism, I find that I place a little bit of faith in some of my dreams. So I got to wondering, again, what other faiths believe dreams might be sacred, or significant in any way? Anyone willing to share?

Acts 2:17King James Version (KJV)

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Hi Cuchulain,

Since my form of Wicca is Welsh / Celtic based and shares some of the same religious "DNA" as Druidry, dreams are also very important in my path. The religion of the ancient Celts was believed to contain many shamanic elements, and the interpretation of visions and dreams (e.g., the ritual of imbas forosnai) was certainly part of their corpus of religious beliefs. Personally, when looking at dreams, I find that some may have significance, but in other cases I follow the quote often attributed to Freud, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." ;)

cuchulain, while that was the first scripture I thought of after reading your post, it is not the only reference to dreams in the Bible. The story of Joseph (great grandson of Abraham) is full of dreams and dream interpretation.

I once kept a dream journal beside my bed at night to record my dreams in. It has been a while since I was diligent about writing down my dreams but, it is one of the ways God communicates with us (IMO). This is not to say all dreams have significance. As Arglwydd Gruffudd has said, quoting Freud, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

one of my favorite quotes. Often enough, in the pagan community at least, I hear people referring to their dreams as if each one is a unique and dire prophecy. I once attended a kind of "universal" pagan event, and had the pleasure of listening to several people chit chatting, each trying their hardest to one up the others dreams. I think reality is stark enough without adding in elements. I have had lots of dreams that I am sure don't mean anything. I could be wrong, but if I let dreams dictate my life, then I am not living reality, I am living dream instead, right?

• Amulet locked this topic