Can Andriods Have Souls?

Pete

Give a person a job at a store and you potentially provide many work for years. Build a mmachine to replace them and you provide only a few work for a short while.

Getting machines to do all labour does not in my view mean greater leisure for all as not all own the profits of the work of machines to feed them whilst they leisure.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People say a lot of strange things. I don't find this one to be a useful argument.

In the Christian context, "God is within you" or "God is everywhere", then the argument is heated, either it's believed or not.

In some pagan, or non-christian religions, it is believed that God is in everything. Again, the argument becomes valid simply because it can't be proven He's not. Thus a soul must be possible within inanimate objects or why would He exist in them? (Or She, as pronouns are dependent on the believer.)

I could say this in a number of different ways, the argument becomes valid or not depending upon belief.

Just as the debate of the possibility of an android having a soul.

Indeed, people say strange things. But they've also have had stranger beliefs or ideals.

Edited by Keystrikr

In the Christian context, "God is within you" or "God is everywhere", then the argument is heated, either it's believed or not.

In some pagan, or non-christian religions, it is believed that God is in everything. Again, the argument becomes valid simply because it can't be proven He's not. Thus a soul must be possible within inanimate objects or why would He exist in them? (Or She, as pronouns are dependent on the believer.)

I could say this in a number of different ways, the argument becomes valid or not depending upon belief.

Just as the debate of the possibility of an android having a soul.

Indeed, people say strange things. But they've also have had stranger beliefs or ideals.

During W.W.II, the Nazis had a belt buckle that said -- "God is with us." Slogans about God are not arguments or proof. I do frequently find them irritating. My issue -- not yours.

What about the people who build, program, install, and maintain self-checkout machines? Don't they deserve work, too? It's a strange state of affairs. As technology advances, there is less and less need for people to work in order to provide for everyone's needs. But we insist that everyone should work to earn what they need....

well, that is a conundrum. capitalists and rope, as they say.

During W.W.II, the Nazis had a belt buckle that said -- "God is with us." Slogans about God are not arguments or proof. I do frequently find them irritating. My issue -- not yours.

While I'm sorry to have irritated you, I merely pointed out it depends on whether a person believes or not. Faith requires no real proof, after all.

Fundamentalist would debate if "God is within you" were a slogan, as it is in their scripture.

But, slogans aside, it still boils down to an earlier statement I made. We will never know, as we can't experience things as androids do, nor they as we can. Thus, a soul may or may not be born or evolved within the shell.

While I'm sorry to have irritated you, I merely pointed out it depends on whether a person believes or not. Faith requires no real proof, after all.

Fundamentalist would debate if "God is within you" were a slogan, as it is in their scripture.

But, slogans aside, it still boils down to an earlier statement I made. We will never know, as we can't experience things as androids do, nor they as we can. Thus, a soul may or may not be born or evolved within the shell.

There are futurists who predict we will one day be able to transfer our consciousness into machine bodies. That we will, in other words, get first-hand experience as androids. Not even close to the weirdest prediction, either...

The stores have self check out lanes not as a customer convenience but to save money on employee costs. When they pass those saving on to me I will use them. I have stood in a long line with two items rather than use self check out.

Same here. I want a discount for using the self checkout and saving the store money. I'm not working for them for free.

....only to find out that two chain marketeers in our area deliberately have only 1 or 2 check out clerks on duty during the busy hours to basically force the use of the "Self-check out" stations.

I still say artificial intelligence will at best have an artificial, implanted soul. From the idea of androids having implanted souls its is only a matter of logical progression to implanted souls being artificial in nature and therefore far less viable, in substance and principle, than the "real deal". I'm certain if society gets to a point of having to separate and sort out the AI soul from the real human soul there is going to be a ship-load of other issues to deal with as well.

Blessings Be,

....only to find out that two chain marketeers in our area deliberately have only 1 or 2 check out clerks on duty during the busy hours to basically force the use of the "Self-check out" stations.

I still say artificial intelligence will at best have an artificial, implanted soul. From the idea of androids having implanted souls its is only a matter of logical progression to implanted souls being artificial in nature and therefore far less viable, in substance and principle, than the "real deal". I'm certain if society gets to a point of having to separate and sort out the AI soul from the real human soul there is going to be a ship-load of other issues to deal with as well.

Blessings Be,

Depending on the religion, or belief, only God would be able to separate souls. :derisive:

Blessings Be,

What do we really know with objectivity, about our own souls? If we even have souls?

What do we really know with objectivity, about our own souls? If we even have souls?

This is something that, as of yet, science/medicine have not been able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt...at least no hard fact data that can be reliably duplicated or objectively compiled. However, having said that to qualify...

...I believe we have souls.

I believe we have souls based on the fact science/medicine can explain 99.99% (speculatively speaking) of our biological body, yet that illusive, inter/non/multi?-dimensional, impossible to fully describe thing some folks call "the spark of Life" exists. That ethereal aspect of Self lies within and even the most enlightened people can not fully explain it. Forget explaining it to the satisfaction of doctors, psychologists, scholars and people far more learned than I am, it can't be explained even on the most rudimentary and layman's level. So just like "God", "gods", "Creator" and religion per sé, it boils down to belief.

The "21 gram Experiment"- though admittedly possibly flawed- is about as close to any proof we may ever have of the souls' existence.

I write and speak as if the soul exists because I believe it does....and I suppose that's the best I can offer at this point.

Blessings of Peace,

This is something that, as of yet, science/medicine have not been able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt...at least no hard fact data that can be reliably duplicated or objectively compiled. However, having said that to qualify...

...I believe we have souls.

I believe we have souls based on the fact science/medicine can explain 99.99% (speculatively speaking) of our biological body, yet that illusive, inter/non/multi?-dimensional, impossible to fully describe thing some folks call "the spark of Life" exists. That ethereal aspect of Self lies within and even the most enlightened people can not fully explain it. Forget explaining it to the satisfaction of doctors, psychologists, scholars and people far more learned than I am, it can't be explained even on the most rudimentary and layman's level. So just like "God", "gods", "Creator" and religion per sé, it boils down to belief.

The "21 gram Experiment"- though admittedly possibly flawed- is about as close to any proof we may ever have of the souls' existence.

I write and speak as if the soul exists because I believe it does....and I suppose that's the best I can offer at this point.

Blessings of Peace,

Maybe we do have souls. I like to think that we do. Maybe we are souls that have bodies. I don't know.

I don't know whether souls exist or not, nor do I think it matters much - I'm out to do the best I can in this life regardless.

If they do, though, I think it would make more sense to say we are souls who have bodies.

If Androids had a religion. What would it be?

Hmm...wouldn't be many of our current religions as the androids original creators were mortal. So, perhaps with the belief in a soul, maybe, their deity would deal more in the spirit realm.

Truth is universal, therefore their religion may seem quite similar to ours. Just thinking. Who would know?

• Amulet locked this topic