Can Andriods Have Souls?

Pete

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not able to say what a soul is but there is talk of producing thinking robots. My thought is towards will they be seen as having human status.

Clarification. Are you talking about mechanical beings that look human? That would be artificial intelligence.

Or do you mean organic beings with an artificial origin?

that depends on whether souls exist. which depends on the definition of a soul. As it is much easier to argue that an androids non physical essense (if we use that as our loose definition) can carry on outside its body, it is seems more likely they would have souls than we would, based upon evidence.

I think it would depend on their capacity to use their thinking ability in order to override their programming so that they were able to make choices independent of what their original programming was. I think if they were both self aware and able to make choices beyond the scope of their original programming, even choices which might contradict it, then they are well under their way to having a soul. If they cannot choose for themselves, then they are still just robots without a soul. Just my opinion.

that depends on whether souls exist. which depends on the definition of a soul. As it is much easier to argue that an androids non physical essense (if we use that as our loose definition) can carry on outside its body, it is seems more likely they would have souls than we would, based upon evidence.

There is no evidence that humans can carry on outside our bodies.

We don't know that. Why is feeling impossible?

Because feelings aren't logical per se ... You can't program something to have feelings, even if it can think or deduce things for itself. A robot could possibly have compassion, but it could never feel compassion..I speak from experience, my ex was an android :)

Because feelings aren't logical per se ... You can't program something to have feelings, even if it can think or deduce things for itself. A robot could possibly have compassion, but it could never feel compassion..I speak from experience, my ex was an android :)

We do not know the limits of future technology. Not even the near future. My prediction is that the future will surprise us, in ways we can't imagine.

My thinking is we can't assume they won't feel anything. As we can't experience things as they do, and they as we do, does not mean feelings can't be developed somewhere along the way of discovering these experiences.

My thinking is we can't assume they won't feel anything. As we can't experience things as they do, and they as we do, does not mean feelings can't be developed somewhere along the way of discovering these experiences.

Yes. We can go further. If organic brains get chip implants -- and robot bodies take on organic components -- the lines of distinction could get blurry.

There is no evidence that humans can carry on outside our bodies.

Not "good" evidence.

Androids will never achieve sentience much less a soul.

Programming sentience is the same type of problem as predicting or controlling the weather, society or the economy. All are unachievable for the same reason..

Never is a long time. The future may surprise.

Are we not programmed from childhood?

Of course we are. It never stops.

Androids will never achieve sentience much less a soul.

Programming sentience is the same type of problem as predicting or controlling the weather, society or the economy. All are unachievable for the same reason..

Descartes: "I think, therefore I am."

That is the birth of sentience. Who can say an android may never become self aware and begin thinking for itself? Machines are evolving rapidly, making the future less predictable in their regard.

When a person or thing begins making choices based upon thought, for a conscience to form, could not a soul be born within?

Descartes: "I think, therefore I am."

That is the birth of sentience. Who can say an android may never become self aware and begin thinking for itself? Machines are evolving rapidly, making the future less predictable in their regard.

When a person or thing begins making choices based upon thought, for a conscience to form, could not a soul be born within?

What is a soul?

• Amulet locked this topic