Would You Volunteer To Go To Mars?

I see there are people competing to go to Mars and live there. I also note that this is likely a one way journey. So no hospitals and no one to care for you if you get ill. If you have a stroke or a heart attack then your on your own. No going out for meals or visiting friends. Years in a small place of living, Sand storms that can cover the planet for months and -20 c is as warm as it gets. If you get a leak in your space suit then you start to boil alive.

On the plus side, there is plenty of rocks.

Just wondering if anyone here would like to go if they got the chance.

I would like to travel and explore, but I would never take a journey that was only one way or took a great deal of time. I have a deep connection with my birthplace specifically and this planet in general, and I would prefer not to be away for too long ;).

Edited by Gwynn

I would consider going if it was an act of homesteading. In other words, to claim the territory I explored for my own. Otherwise it is a waste of lives. What is to be gained for their families by the sacrifice of their lives. Explorers have usually been rewarded by a share of the discovery. Which in this case would be the property rights to Mars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Amulet locked this topic