Does God Forgive Everyone Who Asks For It?

Assassin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am sitting here thinking if someone commits a sin that I would personally consider unforgivable and the person ask for forgiveness will that person be accepted into God's kingdom?

Â

Probably not in your "God's" kingdom. You would have to believe that if a sin is unforgivable to you and you believe your "God" is the real "God," then it must stand to reason that your "God" would find it unforgivable, as well.

There was a period of time I believed one should but there are some who apologise but you know they will do it again and again. I had someone who tried to set fire to my home 4 times and flooded my property 3 times. I know given a chance she would do it again and it was only threats by the police that stopped her. It gets hard then.

Does God forgive? ???? If he exists he seems to have no involvement in so many things.

Edited by Pete

There was a period of time I believed one should but there are some who apologise but you know they will do it again and again. I had someone who tried to set fire to my home 4 times and flooded my property 3 times. I know given a chance she would do it again and it was only threats by the police that stopped her. It gets hard then.

Does God forgive? ???? If he exists he seems to have no involvement in so many things.

If we offend against each other -- What does God's forgiveness count for?

If we offend against each other -- What does God's forgiveness count for?

That's an "easy" one: God's forgiveness matters for naught in the material world. It's the getting into Heaven that God's forgiveness is good for. Just like the selling of indulgences in the Middle Ages, you could sin all week and wipe it all clean on Sunday. Indulgences were a quick way to buy your way into Heaven, buy forgiveness of sins committed while alive. If memory serves, they could also be bought on behalf of the deceased, after the fact.

Realistically, though, there is no evidence (only faith) of what comes after death. IMO, we should be more focused on doing right for our fellow man than being overly concerned with the opinion of God, who reputedly forgives all, anyway. Do we not do right by God when we do right by each other?

That's an "easy" one: God's forgiveness matters for naught in the material world. It's the getting into Heaven that God's forgiveness is good for. Just like the selling of indulgences in the Middle Ages, you could sin all week and wipe it all clean on Sunday. Indulgences were a quick way to buy your way into Heaven, buy forgiveness of sins committed while alive. If memory serves, they could also be bought on behalf of the deceased, after the fact.

Realistically, though, there is no evidence (only faith) of what comes after death. IMO, we should be more focused on doing right for our fellow man than being overly concerned with the opinion of God, who reputedly forgives all, anyway. Do we not do right by God when we do right by each other?

I was thinking along similar lines. Suppose I come along in the dead of night and break your window. Nobody knows it was me. It counts for nothing if I get God's forgiveness. -- if I don't get your forgiveness.

And being accepted into the kingdom of god as the consequence of being "forgiven", as was stated in the opening question.

My point was forgiveness is not necessary to enter the kingdom of god, but instead doing what is necessary to reveal it is all that is required.

Sin is irrelevant. Original sin is nonexistent.

And being accepted into the kingdom of god as the consequence of being "forgiven", as was stated in the opening question.

My point was forgiveness is not necessary to enter the kingdom of god, but instead doing what is necessary to reveal it is all that is required.

Sin is irrelevant. Original sin is nonexistent.

And the Kingdom of God? Is this metaphor? Or are we talking about Heaven?

They are the same metaphor by a different name, but represent a real undefinable condition, like Jazz.

Unless we are using a Pantheist framework. In which case, "the Kingdom of God" is everything -- which we do not need to enter.

Or a Christian can go to the Gospels -- where Jesus says "the Kingdom of God" is "within."

Christianity kind of goes both ways. The Kingdom is within, it is entered at rebirth, and it is to come. How this is interpreted depends upon one's denomination but all suggest a change of heart needs to take place to enter it. So we are not just mentioning another form of nirvana that is achievable without a God. However if one changes the word Kingdom for Enlightenment we can get a similar scenario. In that many will say Enlightenment comes from within, it changes a person, and it rescues people from continual rebirth into a state of Nirvana.

For me forgiveness is a letting go so that new growth can come about. If we hang onto the past and faults of ours or the fault of others then we remain in the past and do not move on. In this the question is does not necessarily referring to God but can you forgive one's self and others and free one's self of this.

Christianity kind of goes both ways. The Kingdom is within, it is entered at rebirth, and it is to come. How this is interpreted depends upon one's denomination but all suggest a change of heart needs to take place to enter it. So we are not just mentioning another form of nirvana that is achievable without a God. However if one changes the word Kingdom for Enlightenment we can get a similar scenario. In that many will say Enlightenment comes from within, it changes a person, and it rescues people from continual rebirth into a state of Nirvana.

For me forgiveness is a letting go so that new growth can come about. If we hang onto the past and faults of ours or the fault of others then we remain in the past and do not move on. In this the question is does not necessarily referring to God but can you forgive one's self and others and free one's self of this.

Is "letting go" the same as "forgiveness?"

I have let go of things, but not forgiven, simply because I was in a position to do absolutely nothing worthwhile about the issue at hand. Perhaps in most cases letting go is the same as forgiving, but I don't think the two are functions of each other, necessarily. Just a personal view, of course, and I may be wrong.

I have let go of things, but not forgiven, simply because I was in a position to do absolutely nothing worthwhile about the issue at hand. Perhaps in most cases letting go is the same as forgiving, but I don't think the two are functions of each other, necessarily. Just a personal view, of course, and I may be wrong.

In my opinion, "letting go" and "forgiveness" have over-lap; but they are not the same.

• Amulet locked this topic