Outside, Of Ministry Work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I work full-time. I haven't been called for any ministry work yet, and when promoting myself as a wedding officiant, I will do so with my work schedule clearly in mind. It may limit me, having most of my time off on week days, but I'm sure with the required amount of notice, I can work it in with my boss. At my job, we really don't get sick days or personal time or flex time, and we're short handed as it is. I can't just say "Hey, I have to leave early Saturday to officiate a wedding." Don't think our area supervisor would look too kindly on that...

It's called being bi-vocational and isn't exclusive to the ULC. A lot of religions work this way. I'm fortunate in that I'm retired and can devote more time to ministry. Those who serve their religions and sitll work have my respect.

BrDavidOH, have you talked with your boss about your situation? I had one boss that as long as I gave him my 40 a week he didn't care how I worked my schedule. Due to the variety of responsibiilties in different jobs I realize that not evey job can give you the same benefit but it's worth trying to work it out in advance.

I have a bachelor's degree in psychology and work full-time as a mental health and substance abuse counselor for the community mental health agency. I chiefly minister to family, friends, and co-workers rather than a public congregation so I am able to work things in around my schedule. I am able to request time off when needed if I give sufficient notice.

• 3 weeks later...

People I am associated with both work and personal life all know I am and Ordained Minister. I let them know as long as I am not busy working I am free for them to talk to if they need an ear, or have a religious/spiritual question. I try and keep my non-ministerial duties separated from job related duties as much as possible, which for the most part happens, when it doesn't I do know when to stop and say lets talk about this later.

People I am associated with both work and personal life all know I am and Ordained Minister. I let them know as long as I am not busy working I am free for them to talk to if they need an ear, or have a religious/spiritual question. I try and keep my non-ministerial duties separated from job related duties as much as possible, which for the most part happens, when it doesn't I do know when to stop and say lets talk about this later.

Well said, brother. I do much the same.

• Amulet locked this topic