Changing Affiliation For Licensing

RevDavidOH

I was previously ordained (within the last month) by the ULC "Monastery" and that is the group under which I'm licensed by my home state. I got ordained through the Modesto group just the other day, and that is the affiliation I wish to be connected with. Does that effect my state licensing? Can I change my affiliation with the appropriate state office? Or does it matter? Will being licensed with another ULC group affect my standing to officiate marriages through my regular ULC ordination?

depending on what state your in,you can only be registered with one organization.if your in ohio(for example)changing affiliations is not a big deal.just do what you did for your monastary ordination.

would it affect your ability to do marriages?again,depends on which state your in.it doesn't effect your ulc status with modesto.

my question would be,why stay with the monastary?

I suppose I should have said "different" rather than "another." I literally just got my license a week ago, how's it going to look to the Secretary Of State's office if I'm suddenly changing affiliations to an organization with a similar name? I suppose, though, that I should make such a change before I officiate any ceremonies, right?

• 2 years later...

US. Answer- The thing is that you have "dual" ordination status with both organizations, which are separate and distinct from one another-However, there is no effective need to register with a U.S. state twice. In most states, which specific 'church' a minister is affiliated with has no bearing in the law, so long as that organization meets whatever the legal definition of a 'church' is in that state. (i.e. for example, nothing in the law can be construed from prohibiting a ULC minister from exercising religious authority on behalf of congregants of another denomination or religion, so long as the involved congregants consent to the exercise of one's authority as an ordained minister.) The government can't explicitly or implicitly favor one denomination over another without violating the separation clause of the constitution.  

• 2 months later...
On 19/2/2017 at 2:37 PM, mark 45 said:

in ohio,you can only be registered with one organization(church).his original question was how to register his ordination with his ulc modesto in that state.

i have 3 different ordinations,but could only use one when i registered in ohio.

It really makes no difference which ordination one uses- it does not change anything about one's authority from a practical standpoint- rather it only changes which set of papers gets filed in the public record to support the averment that you are "ordained"- which, despite being requirement requisite thereof in most cases, is of no substance to the judicial act of appointing one as a marriage officiant.