Pastafarian

Assassin

Reverend V , and I were debating with a co worker last night about this joke of a so called religion Pastafarian and when I went home last night I decided to do research and maybe get a half way decent laugh out of this joke. Only to find that some countries are actually making this a recognized religion. To me this isn't right at all. I respect almost every religion and will not bash anyone's beliefs but come on man a Flying Spaghetti Monster that's childish. So please anyone have any views on the subject.

Â

if I judge it as childish, does that make it so? In further depth, if you are allowed to judge one thing as childish and not really a religion, who is to stop the next guy from judging what you believe as childish and not allowing that as a religion? freedom of religion has to include everything or it isn't really freedom of religion

I understand what you are saying but to worship a Spaghetti meat ball come on you really would consider that a religion.

I've had a number of people tell me that my worship and devotional practices shouldn't be considered a religion. It doesn't change what I do or how I feel about the Gods. They have the freedom to believe what they will and to openly express their beliefs, up until they start causing actual legal hardships for me. I also have the freedom to believe they don't know what they're talking about, and openly express that belief.

the answer is simply put yes. who does it hurt to consider it a religion? who does it oppress? on the other hand, if you refuse to consider it a religion, and someone truly believes in it, then that someone is being oppressed. so, by standards of eliminating the choice that oppresses anyone, you are left with accepting they have a right to believe as they wish and calling it a religion.

That being said, I don't believe in the flying spaghetti man or whatever it is, and I agree with you that it seems silly.

If you stop to consider the fact that no matter what you believe, the bulk of the planets inhabitants will think your belief set is wrong if not laughable, you might have a little more tolerance for the silly beliefs of others as they have for yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Reverend V , and I were debating with a co worker last night about this joke of a so called religion Pastafarian and when I went home last night I decided to do research and maybe get a half way decent laugh out of this joke. Only to find that some countries are actually making this a recognized religion. To me this isn't right at all. I respect almost every religion and will not bash anyone's beliefs but come on man a Flying Spaghetti Monster that's childish. So please anyone have any views on the subject.

Â

IMO

Assassin, you're being far too judgemental. Lighten up for your own benefit, because you'll be much happier.

You're seeing fault outside of your own personal sphere of beliefs. It occurs to me that this is done only to keep yourself from focusing on the beliefs you've either chosen, or you've been raised or indoctrinated with since birth. What I'll say, and what others might disagree with, is that even the seemingly silly religions of our world are not as important as the Hope that they've given to their believers. Whether we've chosen to worship a giant flying spaghetti monster, our universe, a bearded white-haired father-figure in robes, his ressurrected son, or an Indian monkey god doesn't really matter. What's really important are the lessons we've learned from these teachings, and whether or not our beliefs have made us better people.

Anything else is just window dressing.

Edited by scott_edward

IMO

Assassin, you're being far too judgemental. Lighten up for your own benefit, because you'll be much happier.

You're seeing fault outside of your own personal sphere of beliefs. It occurs to me that this is done only to keep yourself from focusing on the beliefs you've either chosen, or you've been raised or indoctrinated with since birth. What I'll say, and what others might disagree with, is that even the seemingly silly religions of our world are not as important as the Hope that they've given to their believers. Whether we've chosen to worship a giant flying spaghetti monster, our universe, a bearded white-haired father-figure in robes, his ressurrected son, or an Indian monkey god doesn't really matter. What's really important are the lessons we've learned from these teachings, and whether or not our beliefs have made us better people.

Anything else is just window dressing.

Absolutely, scott_edward. Whatever mojo works to bring you peace within your soul is good.

This is the conundrum of free speech. Why should what I say be more important that what you say? Or why should whay you say be more important than my speech? There are limits on free speech and our government has mostly limited that to the concept of "harm". While we enjoy free speech we must realize that it comes with pros and cons.

As a veteran I can tell you that a lot of good people have died to protect our freedoms including speech, I realize that you know this but just allow me to remind you of this.

And also, my view on this is that this isn't really about free speech. It's about one group of people making a statement (sarcastic or otherwise) and then your group would be lumped in with them in the viewpoint of others. Most people would be able to tell the difference, those who don't need to educated. Kind of a convoluted statement but you get my drift.

This is the conundrum of free speech. Why should what I say be more important that what you say? Or why should whay you say be more important than my speech? There are limits on free speech and our government has mostly limited that to the concept of "harm". While we enjoy free speech we must realize that it comes with pros and cons.

As a veteran I can tell you that a lot of good people have died to protect our freedoms including speech, I realize that you know this but just allow me to remind you of this.

And also, my view on this is that this isn't really about free speech. It's about one group of people making a statement (sarcastic or otherwise) and then your group would be lumped in with them in the viewpoint of others. Most people would be able to tell the difference, those who don't need to educated. Kind of a convoluted statement but you get my drift.

Let us not forget that free speech plays no role in a web site's terms of service.

FREEDOM is the most important thing to everyone. Every living thing on this earth fights for its freedom - to be free to shape its own life, free to move around, free to fulfill its dreams and ambitions. The Universal Life Church is the active advocate of freedom for everyone, as long as that freedom does not infringe on the rights of others.
You will find in this book that man's relationship to the animal is identical. An animal's first instinct is to be free. Everything that exists in the material world that is a living cell seeks to be free. Let's look at an animal. If we take a lion, which is supposed to be the king of the jungle, he's supposed to be free, but he's not free! He has to worry about elephants and several things including man! So, the lion is not completely free, but he seeks to be free. When he is born and grows up and is free, THEN what does he do? A man is supposed to have been born king as the lion, but he is not really free. For thousands of years men have fought war after war. Why do they fight these wars? I don't know any war not fought where freedom was not involved--domination of one over another. Now we have a lion and man that are born kings, but they have not received their freedom yet. You know Isaiah said there would come a day that the lion and the lamb would lay down together. You and I know that day has not yet come, but I am fighting for that day. Paul said that we were born free, but the dang church says we are born sinners and in bondage. THIS book will help you BREAK the chains of bondage!

The above are taken from The Buffer Zone by Rev. Hensley. (with a few spelling corrections) Freedom has been a primary concern of the ULC from the beginning, if not the primary concern.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wasn't Christianity in its infancy considered a so called religion and deemed blasphemous?

What about the Jedi Church is that a so called religion? If so are you willing to tell that to the multitude of believers of that religion?

If today one were to look back couldn't one say that the Ancient Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, etc... all had so called religions?

Just because you might not agree with a religion doesn't make it a so called religion.

Now for the Pastafarians if I can get the beer volcano changed to a Dr. Pepper volcano I would be happy, though I could care less about the stripper factory (used to bar tend in a strip club so strippers don't really do it for me, seen my fair share of them every night when I was working there and also seen how it can change a girl when they start stripping, though I still occasionally visit a strip club with friends, though when I do it is usually when they go to celebrate a birthday or something else).

The above are taken from The Buffer Zone by Rev. Hensley. (with a few spelling corrections) Freedom has been a primary concern of the ULC from the beginning, if not the primary concern.

Are you quoting the TOS of this web site/forum? It is the web site's TOS that determines the freedom of those who visit and use the web site/forum.

• Amulet locked this topic