Drawn By More Than Faith

VonNoble

Is it a given that those who are more conservative will be drawn closer and closer

to a fundamentalist end of a religious spectrum? And conversely that those who are least

structured in general terms of their lifestyle will be opposed to organized religion all together?

If either of those were even partially true - then how much of a role would "faith" factor into

one's choice of (or rejection of ) religious affiliation?

If neither of those is true - why is there a pervasive connection in the media presentation of

"fundamentalists" (of any religion) as conservative and atheists as perpetual liberal extremists?

Von

At our present time, and after all theologies, philosophies and modes of living have been tried. Almost everything is conservative of some previous opinion. As always, very few have anything new to say or propose. Outside of the ULC and only a subset of its members there is no true liberal organization to be found. And I mean that in the original sense of the word, that which supports freedom primarily. What I find disheartening is that so many seek freedom for themselves to empower them to eliminate freedom for others.

I do not find the views of many atheists to be liberal at all. They have their nose in other peoples business as much as fundamentalists.

It is also possible to be a conservative of the principle of liberality, to allow others freedom.

And what makes you think those in the media support liberality, or freedom for others.

Is it a given that those who are more conservative will be drawn closer and closer

to a fundamentalist end of a religious spectrum? And conversely that those who are least

structured in general terms of their lifestyle will be opposed to organized religion all together?

If either of those were even partially true - then how much of a role would "faith" factor into

one's choice of (or rejection of ) religious affiliation?

If neither of those is true - why is there a pervasive connection in the media presentation of

"fundamentalists" (of any religion) as conservative and atheists as perpetual liberal extremists?

Von

Within the ranks of Christianity, there is "Liberation Theology." It is anything but conservative. And there are some very conservative Atheists. We have to look past these silly labels and see real people.

At our present time, and after all theologies, philosophies and modes of living have been tried. Almost everything is conservative of some previous opinion. As always, very few have anything new to say or propose. Outside of the ULC and only a subset of its members there is no true liberal organization to be found. And I mean that in the original sense of the word, that which supports freedom primarily. What I find disheartening is that so many seek freedom for themselves to empower them to eliminate freedom for others.

I do not find the views of many atheists to be liberal at all. They have their nose in other peoples business as much as fundamentalists.

It is also possible to be a conservative of the principle of liberality, to allow others freedom.

And what makes you think those in the media support liberality, or freedom for others.

Atheists are anything but a uniform group; since they don't have anything in common except non-belief. Some are militant. Others simply lack belief and don't care what anybody else is believing or not believing.

• Amulet locked this topic