• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although it is not American Haiku, this is a literal translation of a poem I wrote in ASL for an interpreter friend of mine:

Her hands: delicate roses

the scent passes me for a moment

then fades away on the breeze

And in gloss for those who know sign:

HANDS HER - FLOWER TENDER ROSE {COMPARE}

FRAGRANCE DRIFT PASSING (ME) PASSING, FINISH

CATCH BREEZE FRAGRANCE {PRESENT REDUCE TO NOTHING}

~ Michael, I didn't. I do know that you often speak of vibrations above & that you seem to feel alone in your beliefs...

I don't think you're as alone as you sometimes feel, but feelings are what they are, aren't they? ;)

~ Devon, that sounds beautiful!!!

Writing about signing as sounding beautiful seems complicated, but that's why we have minds to contemplate & imagine, huh?

Being able to give that extra depth to the emotion with a double layer of language... What a lovely crafting :wub:

I had a deaf friend. I'm horrid at ASL, she'd just laugh & translate my gibberish ;) & kick my butt at scrabble once again :rolleyes:

But I did get a glimpse of the gracefulness & fluidity of ASL. I don't know if I could write a poem suitable for that dance.

I pray constantly that I can find somebody or "somebodies" who can help me develop fluency in Sign before I completely lose my hearing. At my best, because of a combination of being forced to use English all my life and never having routine opportunities to use Sign, I sign "like a hearing person."

One of my best friends, who was born deaf, used to tease me gently about my signing, but I don't think I was too bad... he rarely had to ask me to clarify what I was talking about, and the few times he did it was discussing something detailed and confusing and after so many "he told him that he..." you have to reset and establish who each person in the conversation is again. That part of the language is especially tough when you get tired.

I miss having folks around to sign with daily like I had when I was in school.

~ Michael, I didn't. I do know that you often speak of vibrations above & that you seem to feel alone in your beliefs...

I don't think you're as alone as you sometimes feel, but feelings are what they are, aren't they? ;)

Yes, and sometimes there are no valid reasons for them, but they affect us nonetheless....

When a kind hand touches your shoulder, sometimes you can set them down for a minute....

~Just some thoughts...

soft breezes whisper

branches dance a lullaby

now the fields rest

fluorescent light falls

pools of shadows hide flowers

in the cracked asphalt

clouds so far below

wings gilded by early light

shadow-lost valleys

... I wander & babble...

Qryos, I prefer the first over the second in #332. (It just reads better to me.)

Bro. Sky, Beautiful imagery. I could feel the vibrations of the cat purring when I read it..

I wish I had one to share, but I haven't been satisfied with any that I've written in the last few days. I've had some good ideas, but they all seemed too forced, and none are worth repeating. I'm hoping the new day will bring inspiration.

rain drops like fingers

caress the window

broken ruby light

... I love the misty windshield & the shattering of carlight on a dark road { as long as I'm not the one driving ;) }

Water leaping off the asphalt to spark so quick... hypnotic.

Ummm,

tick-shhh wipers clear

rivers return shivery

dark and diamond light

... I know, there should never be any explanation needed for a haiku... I didn't intend to. I just babble as ya know ;)

Rain is just so lovely & doesn't happen often in No. Nevada. Does in So. Cal & miss it. Dream of it :)

darker green in rain

shadows hold a quiet world

hidden frog laughter

:rofl:

~ OH! Thank you Michael :blush: That's very sweet of you :)

Edited by Qryos

seee? :derisive:

told ya!

It is one of my peculiarities that I play with language... and your first line didn't work with mytwang - took a second to realize I needed to drop it... :doh:

I don't know if you meant it - but the Naked limbs and the whistling, gave me a whole "bonus" visual... VERY nice.... two scenes - One Haiku.... :giveup: ...

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic