Funny Bone-2-Pick Ax

VonNoble

Humor can demean and belittle. It can wound. It can incite. It can insult, degrade and abuse. Humor can also defuse tension and make people more peaceful. Humor can educate and increase understanding. It depends on how humor is used and why.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Other than simple puns which may or may not be humorous, most humor that I am aware of is often found at the misfortune of others. If you can post a funny (really funny and not just maybe funny) joke that does not depend on the misfortune of another, I would like to read it.

As would I.....

....there has not been a stampede to share that joke....which is interesting to me in a big way.

Von

• 2 weeks later...

What some people find funny others don't. What is 'really' funny? You can probably retreat into a true Scotsman defence from anything anyone posts. To accept the challenge, though: I find this one funny - no suffering involved...

Q: Why do cows wear cowbells?

A: Because their horns don't work.

• 4 weeks later...

Other than simple puns which may or may not be humorous, most humor that I am aware of is often found at the misfortune of others. If you can post a funny (really funny and not just maybe funny) joke that does not depend on the misfortune of another, I would like to read it.

I was certain that my wife was going deaf, so one afternoon, I decided to test her hearing.

When I got home, she was reading a book. From the door, I asked her what we were having for dinner. I got no reply.

I took 4 steps across the kitchen and repeated my query..... No reply.

I took another 4 steps toward her and asked again.... No reply.

I took another 2 steps, and standing right next to her, asked again..... "What's for dinner?"

She looked up from her book and said, "For the fourth time, Chicken!"

I was certain that my wife was going deaf, so one afternoon, I decided to test her hearing.

When I got home, she was reading a book. From the door, I asked her what we were having for dinner. I got no reply.

I took 4 steps across the kitchen and repeated my query..... No reply.

I took another 4 steps toward her and asked again.... No reply.

I took another 2 steps, and standing right next to her, asked again..... "What's for dinner?"

She looked up from her book and said, "For the fourth time, Chicken!"

If this is a joke, not recent history, I have two comments: First of all the poor wife's deafness is the whole crux so that is where misfortune of others comes in to play and, Second I don't find it funny. I mean no disrespect, Songster. Maybe my sense of humor is different from other's.

The irony of the joke is as follows. He feels his wife is going deaf because she does not reply to his question, but finds that she hears quit well and instead it is he that does not hear her reply. This joke is self deprecating and does not involve the misfortune or pain of others.

The reason humor involves some form of suffering, either physical pain, emotional distress, or cognitive dissonance, is that this is our natural state. The point of humor is to cause us to step outside our suffering for a moment, to laugh not just at others but at our own predicament in the process. I personally feel we take suffering way too seriously and thereby exacerbate it.

The irony of the joke is as follows. He feels his wife is going deaf because she does not reply to his question, but finds that she hears quit well and instead it is he that does not hear her reply. This joke is self deprecating and does not involve the misfortune or pain of others.

The reason humor involves some form of suffering, either physical pain, emotional distress, or cognitive dissonance, is that this is our natural state. The point of humor is to cause us to step outside our suffering for a moment, to laugh not just at others but at our own predicament in the process. I personally feel we take suffering way too seriously and thereby exacerbate it.

Ok, panpareil, it was the misfortune of the husband, not the wife. Perhaps my sense of humor is tied into my misreading of the joke. As far as taking suffering too seriously, we as a society or. perhaps as a specie, take everything too seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

any form of communication can be (and is) used as a weapon

some people find offense in things not meant to be offensive (where few others would find offense)

some people do not understand they are being offensive even when many find them so.

some do not get the joke and instead get offended

the reason we get offended is often in how we view the meaning of what was said (or done).

some people have fallen into a bad habit of finding offense in their lives and need to find better ways of interacting with others, maybe read up on how to find the world less offensive :)

we all need more laughter

• Amulet locked this topic