I Don't Get It

lordie

Why is it parents rather put their kids in boy and girls scouts instead of actually teaching them strange concept . i have seen this and as the parents age no one is their for them. why cause the parents push their children away so the children push their parents away w out any concern or feeling to the parents . i assume the children might think that. their parents don't care well then i assume also that the child should show more care to the parents than what they showed them maybe. break a cycle of pushing away either way it is better than being a parent who is along w out their kids by their side .thankfully my parents didn't do that and i learn pretty much everything from being a plumber to being a friend to being a great human .something is not taught any more by parents but was by mine .

parents should teach their kids hey they had them. raise them

lordie

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky....

I was blessed to have been raised by possibly the 2 best parents that ever walked the Earth.

Both were intelligent and sober. Both were socially active and involved in numerous civic, religious, and fraternal organizations. Both were dedicated to providing their kids with a financially and emotionally stable environment. Both insisted that their kids develop their minds and bodies to their fullest potential. They also took active roles in our social lives. Both strived to insure that we all had the mental, emotional, and social abilities to survive as adults.

All of us were given the opportunity to receive professional instruction on a musical instrument. We were all encouraged to participate in organized sports. We were all required to diligently apply ourselves in our educational pursuits. We were taught to respect our elders and all those in positions of authority. We were instructed in, and expected to practice, the social courtesies. We were always supported in every endeavor.

They also believed in addressing inappropriate action or behavior with swift, sure, and proportional correction. These days, corporal punishment may be called abuse, but speaking from experience, it IS an effective deterrent to delinquency.

I was lucky..... I had parents that cared to correct me.

The Scouting program (girls and boys) is a social "clubbing" institution.

The program RELIES on parents as volunteers to lead the children through a myriad of interactions (camping, crafts etc) in conjunction with an emphasis on character building (honesty, loyalty, teamwork). I don't believe it was intended initially to replace parents. But rather to offer a supplement to it since it has always relied on the men and women of the community to run the programs.

I am not sure that it is as relevant today as it once was - perhaps it is - I am too far removed to judge that.

I do know back in the 1920s and 1930s when the Scouting program provided direction to lots of children who's parents were wading through some hard

times, long labor-intensive jobs. After WWI and through the Great Depression the organization provided direction for kids who might not have had two parents at home to guide them....perhaps.

During the WWII era with so many men off to war and women working - the Scouting programs again provided adult leadership and fulfilled a kids natural need for clubbing and belonging as part of their development.

I am reasonably sure it was never intended to undercut parents as the primary role model for kids. But sometimes in the history of a society, there are groups of children who are are in need of adult supervision for whatever reason.

At times Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs and the like have filled the void for lots of kids.

von

Scout Oath: "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight."

Scout Law: "A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent."

While some may find problems with parts of this oath for various reasons, I think no one would discard the entire contents.

I find myself to this day straightening myself to these ideals with the hope of a better world.

• Amulet locked this topic