Telling Our Kids

lordie

I don't believe in tellimg our children it is not ok to smoke while the parents smokes like a chimney . I think putting braces on teeth or dying their hair is against god we are ruining the image of him and i strongly believe in values and respect should be no#1 Taught amd pre k should be banded

lordie

hmm, a lot going on there but I think you're saying that it's not okay to be a hypocrite when dealing with children, true that! they see right through it anyway. children actually have a pretty amazing sense of justice.

people have adorned themselves since the beginning of time. if what you mean is that people have a false/fake front and that is against (god), I'd say "okay" but many people do not necessarily see "god" as you might; some might be offended that you refer to god as 'him'. I don't go in much for trends, never have. I don't like cookie cutter style, and tend to avoid what everyone else is wearing. I don't dye my hair (but I did wear braces!)

what do you mean pre k should be banded?

I was a teacher, so I know exactly what you mean. unfortunately public scools, and some private schools, teach "to the test" and not to the children. it is a disservice to them. you just have to hope for talented, enthusiastic and knowledgeable teachers who make school fun.

I'm sorry you have gotten nasty replies (they NEVER advance a dialogue)

:)

I think in most states, k-12 is still all that is required by law? pre-school and per k have become the norm, and while it gives some kids a competitive edge, it bores others to tears - for many reasons.

kids are able to test out of grade levels. and have been able to for as long as I can remember. they just have to prove comprehension of required material. like, I've taught kids and told parents " first grade? pffft! make sure they know she/he reads at a third grade level! I think a critical piece though is a child's OVERALL intelligence - not just their cognitive and intellectual skills but their emotional intelligence.. it's HUGE (plays in to the boredom angle as well)

I agree and the pfft made me laugh

i read at a fifth grade level in kindergarten which is rare the state teachers wanted me moved to higher grades the school wouldn't allow it cause my hand writing was bad the state teachers look at the school u c i got in a fight that day and my hand was swollen and my eyes were swollen shut and i just plain sore

the state couldn't believe the school . well after a while we figure out why the school got more money from the state if they kept me back and so over my school years they did kept me back .my education was. taken away frim me my mom had to teach me. all because the school wanted money and here if the kids are in fights they give schools money if the kids are poor the state give the school money no education just money machines

lordie

• 1 month later...

Lordie, I think you are right, it's all about the money. The school I went to had some of the highest salaries in the state. And some of the richest families. If you were a jock or from the right name, you got the best treatment and graduated with honors. Even if you couldn't spell honors.

I didn't go to Kindergarten but I think I turned out okay. Passed all my college tests with high grades. I think that all this came about because too many parents have to work several jobs just to break even or some parents just don't care to educate their children and are happy to send them off.

About your prior nasty replies. Don't let them get to you. People with big egos and small minds with nothing good to ad will always attack. Instead of keeping quiet and learning they have to demonstrate their ignorance with attacks. They do this because they are jealous of your intelligence and knowledge. I've seen this in real life as well as on some of these forums. I can tell from your posts that you are a good person who cares about other people.

When I first got out of the military I found myself surrounded by old friends who constantly put me down and insulted me. It got so bad I ended up in consuling. There I was asked: Why do you stay with people who put you down. Make new friends and surround yourself with people who will support you. Also at night when you go to bed, and you close your eyes, who is there in your head with you? Just you. That means that the only opinion that counts is YOURS! and nobody else's.

Is that a smile I see, I knew you could do it.

Being hypocritical in nature is being a hypocrite no matter what label one puts on it. We've covered this aspect of people and religion in many topics so I need not bother with a bunch of redundancy, but yes, I agree that "most" of the time this attribute of humanity is pointed out in the wealthy, but applies to the poor as well, just on different levels.

In today's world the whole idea of pre-k and pre-school is basically just a babysitter as so many couples have to both work now days...one, usually the Mom, has to work just to cover the pre-school fees and second car payment! ( :unsure: hmmm...Go figure...hmm :unsure: ) Too many parents are lazy and don't want to put in the effort to teach their own children so there is many dynamics going on in this failing area of society to narrow it down to just one thing being the root of the problem.

I agree that if we got society back on track of simple 1-12 and college, we'd be far better off. Jobs that my wife and I had years ago with just a GED and HS Diploma now require BA and BS degrees and in some areas we worked, even Masters now. I simply don't buy the explanation we're given that it's because of "technical advancements" either, I mean assembly and machining haven't changed that much since we enjoyed the good pay of those jobs. More like business have made it a priority of weeding out the "have's" from the "have not's" when it comes to college degrees for a great number of reasons but the difficulty of the job description really isn't among those many reasons.

Anyway, you make some good points and I agree that we are making life way to complicated when all most of us need is simplicity.

Blessings of Peace,

Edited by Atwater Vitki

I also agree atwater

Having a ba to work at mcdonalds never made any sense to me anyway .

i was offer a computer job w out an education in this type of computer programming i said that i don't have education for that they said no you don't but i bet u know more than someone who does . i was like whaaat! And they wanted to hire me asap . it all started because i told someone at McDonald how to fix the computerize cash register .i am still whaat! mood .really . the next day i went to rite aid and they offered me the same job and w more benefits .i am like whaat as well i keep telling. these people i do not have a ba in computers they go so . i even got an offer to be a spanish translator from my landlord because. i can figure out the language when some one is moody and tongue tied. i go i quit high school and i don't have an education in that they go so .sometimes i learn it is not the education a person knows it is what they know maybe we should re think our schooling

• 2 months later...

my wife got a ba and works at kfc :dirol: she got a ba in mass communications because the high school guidance councilor told her it was the up and coming thing, the last job she had that had anything to do with her degree she didn't even need the degree for, they hired people off the street and trained them just the same.

I know what you mean about too much school, its one of those hot button issues come election time that just about any politician can claim they are for, and if you say you disagree with throwing more money at the problem, watch out.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe in tellimg our children it is not ok to smoke while the parents smokes like a chimney . I think putting braces on teeth or dying their hair is against god we are ruining the image of him and i strongly believe in values and respect should be no#1 Taught amd pre k should be banded

lordie

1. I noticed your rotating star. Prior to you, only two of us (Qyros and myself) had such a device here. :hi:

2. Each parent should decide those things for themselves. Not schools. Not government. But we don't live in that society anymore, now do we???

One can not teach via hypocritical design, at least not the intended message so not many will find the do not do what I do lesson educational.
As for the educational system this is my personal view:
Some people excel in the customary educational system, others do not do well at all, while most go through with an average experience (thusly making it average) there is no right and wrong to fit the masses.

Education is most often geared towards a person being able to survive as a grown up, in some instances the system in place is failing to do that job.
I know that is a vague statement so i will expand the idea.
When I moved from an urban area to a rural one and saw the local school teaching welding, graphic design and a popular class that focus on industrial chemistry (among the usual classes) I was puzzled at the choices; until I saw the main local industry was steel building construction, a can plant that included designing different cans and a rubber plant that made many different compounds of rubber.
Teaching the students to be able to compete for the local job market was working well in this rural area, if one wants to view education as a stepping stone to joining the workforce. The companies get to chose from the best and the brightest in their area of need, the students get to follow schooling with employment so it could be viewed as a win win situation.
Seeing this made me rethink a lot of educational situations, what is college other than a person paying for their own advanced training in a chosen field in order to find employment (of course many other countries pay for this higher education to have a more educated workforce) upon completion.
Over the years as industry changed in the area so did the classes, ie: the rubber plant closed and a car part manufacturer added robotics to the local curriculum so the system kept up. Then schools started teaching for tests in order to get more funding for the schools, which did bring in more money but lost much in preparing the student body to support themselves after graduating. The local workforce was affected, as was the quality of education and the future of the students.

I also saw the dropout rate soar, in part simply completing a k-12 education says much to an employer but we learn all kinds of things everyday of our lives, some are ingrained in our "rule book" in our heads and are not even factual some are useless but factual and some we can really use in our adult lives.

here is something i found educational about lessons we learn at school http://teaching.about.com/od/ParentalInvolvement/fl/Twenty-Life-Lessons-Taught-by-Teachers.htm

As for the adornment of the human body, we each have our own ideas and preferences on what costume we choose to wear each day, how we treat our bodies and we should allow others to do what they feel is right and follow our own rules for only our own body. To each his/her own, it is no one elses business we each look only out our own skulls and make only our own choices.

• Amulet locked this topic