Sign in to follow this  
Enkidu

Favorite Religious Text?

The bible obviously, but I guess that is not specific enough. I would say probably the Song of Solomon. It is such a beautiful book.

Without a doubt my favorites are the Gospel of Mark and the Epistle of James. In Mark we see Jesus as a servant. He explains his mission and message through his actions. Mark includes more of Jesus' miracles than any of the other books. Mark shows us Jesus gave his life in service to mankind. He lived out his message through service, therefore, we can follow his actions and learn by his example.

In James we find a interesting message. For staters it rarely mentions Jesus. Instead the author focuses on righteous living. It mentions action over faith which is contradictory to many of the Pauline books. The author of James seems to mimic the ethical teachings of Jesus without mentioning Jesus at all. It would appear the author believed it was not Jesus the man but Jesus the message that was most important.

†?†

Edited by ReverendV

The Gospel of Thomas,
The Hymn of the Pearl,
The Shepherd of Hermas....

I have trouble with having "just ONE favorite" ;)

Upanishads, Dhammapada, Tao te Ching, A Course in Miracles, and Jane Roberts "The Nature of Personal Reality"

I have various favorite religious texts:

The Srimad Bhagavad Gita

The Vedic Upanishads

The Dhammapada

The Gospel of Thomas

The Sermon on the Moun (Matthew ,Chapters 5,6,7)

The Celtic Arthurian Legends. They contain the most original of all the King Arthur tales, and include elements of both Celtic (Irish and Welsh to be specific) and Christian Myths. Merlin himself is said to have learned from Queen Mab, Lugh the Shining One, and The Morrigan.

I previously mentioned The Mabinogion as my favorite religious text for the Welsh portion of Celtic mythology, but I would also like to add the tale "Cath Mag Tured" (called the Second Battle of Moytura, or Moytura the Northern) for the Irish Celtic :)

Edited by Belenos

What is your favorite religious text? Be specific. Mine is the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof: or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peacefully to assemble, and the petition the Government for redress of grievances.