Reality Tv

lordie

Your comment is way out of context. Robertson doesn't support, nor did he even imply that anyone should be killed. Your exaggerating what happened by reverting back to Mosaic law. Robertson expressed an opinion that was based in Christian scripture, he didn't advocate anything further. The only intolerance was demonstrated by those who disagreed with his Christian opinion, by wanting to punish him for what he thinks. That's ignorance and its anti-Christian. It would be no different if your job was threatened because of your pro-gay opinion. Your justifying hurting a person because you think they're ignorant, and you claim that's a good thing? That's sad...

Dan but he is still judging and condoning denying these PEOPLE basic human rights based on the same ignorance, and people are being harmed because of it.

He is condoning punishing and demeaning others because of the way they were born by denying them respect and basic equalities that most Americans share. You and many others don't see this, which is sad.

Phil is merely getting what goes around comes around. He threw the first punch.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is giving an honest answer a question asking for his opinion on a subject posed in an interview tantamount to throwing the first punch? And why should the second punch be silencing him, depriving him of his livelihood, and boycotting anyone who does business with him? Seems rather unjustified and hypocritical to me. For someone who speaks so passionately against divine punishment, you have don't have much of a problem with retribution from human sources.

Edited by RevRattlesnake

I'd disagree... When you threaten someone for essentially paraphrasing what the bible says, that's about as anti-Christian as it gets. They only relented because they love money more than they hate Christ.

Statement from A&E; "His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."

no, he was being punished for potentially offending a portion of their viewing audience. If he had said, "I am a believer in Jesus and the Bible and those two things define what I see as sin", there would have been no punishment. He didn't. What seems to have offended some was tying homosexuality with bestiality and a rather myopic view of the life of pre civil rights blacks. Now, I agree, this was hardly cause for anyone to get their panties in a bunch, but, a TV station can't really afford to offend anyone.

How is giving an honest answer a question asking for his opinion on a subject posed in an interview tantamount to throwing the first punch? And why should the second punch be silencing him, depriving him of his livelihood, and boycotting anyone who does business with him? Seems rather unjustified and hypocritical to me. For someone who speaks so passionately against divine punishment, you have don't have much of a problem with retribution from human sources.

depriving him of livelihood? Do you know anything about the stars of Duck Dynasty?

What they gave him was a time out. They were saying, "careful how you word things. In order to appear progressive now, as opposed to money grubbing CEOs, we are going to give you a minor rebuke.. " Next time, try not to be quite so specific about what you think.."

Now, it is quite possible that someone who made the decision was personally offended.. we will never know..

Mmm!

I think anyone has the right to their opinion but there is a time and place

And it wasnt in gq magizine .

Just my opinion

I don't know if you read the article. It is here. He was asked a direct question, and one of things his fines like about him is that he doesn't sugar coat anything. That is the reason they asked the question.. they knew it would get exactly this kind of response, and that would get people reading the article. He knew that too, which works well with his agenda of spreading the gospel as he understands it.. so he gave them what they wanted. A&E also knew this could generate interest, both good and bad, so they tried to make it look like they were distancing themselves from his comments while keeping their cash cow on payroll. That didn't work, because the Cash Cow is has more business smarts than the A&E farmers..

There is nothing of import here.

So who is in the wrong? Phil for giving his opinion or GQ for asking for it?

neither. A&E for trying to have it both ways.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly guys.. I'm openly gay, what most would consider "engaged".. and I have no problem with what Phil said. He can quote Leviticus at folks all he wants.. he was asked a question. His statement to a magazine has no effect on my happiness or well being..

Edited by OlfenBedwere

I am glad olfen

U are not mad at phil.

And as for me i am bisexaul

And yes it does aggravate me that this celeb talks like this . Were do u think the kids and adults come up w gay bashing lingo they think if a celeb says it it is ok . Well it is not

My friend was gay she beating and stuff like a thanksgiving turkey . All because of two people said something about gays . And one of the people was a minister . Case in point . It is wrong to pick or to disgrace anyone esp. If u dont know them .

Peace

Lordie

I have great respect for people that live off the land and do their best to remain free in today's world, however, the atypical rhetoric from someone like Phil Robertson is...well just consider the source...he's made his family famous by first creating a duck call that others were too lazy to make, got a show on TV which made him and family celebs...etc and so on. Good for him.

Doesn't make his opinion any better than anyone else's.

Frankly, if I were the producer of the show, he would have been fired along with the whole lot of 'em...birds of a feather and all...and not because I'm anti-Christian, but because he's a loose canon and I'm anti-bigot. What's he going to say next about some other group of people?

Just because he has all his ducks in a row doesn't mean he is wise, creative or intelligent for that matter. I agree totally with Fawzo on this, the outrage against what he said was/is not anti-Christian it is 100% anti-ignorance.

Blessings Be,

I really don't want to have to get into another long discussion about what or why I think something. I made an honest, face value statement,Dan.

I'm not politely saying anything other than what I said...heck I even know ignorant and stupid Pagans, Heathens and Satanist who want all Christians to bow to one power or another or suffer the fate of those before them in history. I don't think Christians should be stuffed in the giant metal cow sculpture and roasted alive anymore than pagans should suffer at the hands of Christians over their personal Beliefs That is completely unacceptable to me.

To me, a "smart" anybody is someone who lets others live and let live about such personal opinion and preference things as sexual orientation or religious beliefs. Being bigoted and homophobic isn't very smart. Those who claim to believe one way and act another are ignorant, if not downright dangerous, and are not very smart.

Blessings of Peace,

Guess this means I will have to stop sacrificing babies and eating them for breakfast, Atwater Vitki. Ah well, such is the life of the Universalist. :devil:

Not at all...just don't eat my baby! Those who would surrender their baby for that purpose are probably terrible parents anyway and you are more than likely doing them, the baby and society a service! :devil:

I really don't want to have to get into another long discussion about what or why I think something. I made an honest, face value statement,Dan.

I'm not politely saying anything other than what I said...heck I even know ignorant and stupid Pagans, Heathens and Satanist who want all Christians to bow to one power or another or suffer the fate of those before them in history. I don't think Christians should be stuffed in the giant metal cow sculpture and roasted alive anymore than pagans should suffer at the hands of Christians over their personal Beliefs That is completely unacceptable to me.

To me, a "smart" anybody is someone who lets others live and let live about such personal opinion and preference things as sexual orientation or religious beliefs. Being bigoted and homophobic isn't very smart. Those who claim to believe one way and act another are ignorant, if not downright dangerous, and are not very smart.

Blessings of Peace,

My point was that Robertson was asked a question and he responded by paraphrasing 1 Corinthians 6: 9-10. His answer was what he believed to be true. He did not personally condemn anyone. Imo, the bigots are those who insist on Robertson accepting what they believe, its that old adage; "adopt our standards and abandon yours", otherwise you'll suffer the repercussions and we'll stick the bigot label on you. Having a fear or contempt for gays is the definition of homophobic, and Robertson expressed neither. He simply stated his belief that it was wrong, and that's no different than those who believe its right. Neither belief/opinion is stupid or ignorant.

I understand completely what you are saying Dan, when someone takes what they believe as absolute "everyone must comply" there is a rub, I agree. The difference is, it's not okay for the "Conservative Right" to quell the "Okay with Mass Appeal Middle" or "Liberal Left" while saying they are the one's being victimized.

I don't expect Phil or any Christian would ever accept what I believe, nor do I ask them to, nor do I condemn them for not, nor do I really care if they do or don't. He should have kept his opinion to himself...as is the norm in this politically correct world (which I don't believe is right but the way it is). I could say all day long "you'll never reach Asgaard being Christian", but what sense does that make?

Why would I expect someone whose Beliefs differ from mine to:

1.) Care if they do or don't get to Asgaard A.) Why would Pagans care of they reach the Christian Heaven?

2.) Be forcibly converted B.) We don't force our Beliefs on anyone

3.) Be expected to not talk about their Belief C.) We allow others their say whether it agrees with us or not

If I were to say on national TV that I thought (which I don't) that all Christians should suffer the Blood Eagle, as Ragnar, Ingvar, Baste Nengt and few other notorious Vikings did, I can hear the outcry from not only fundamentalists but the public at large. I would be told to keep my opinions to my self. That is solely where I draw the line on this rub of public political correctness...not that Phil is Christian or is not entitled to his opinion. If he, you or any Christian wants to sit in a sanctuary and spout every homophobic disparaging remark there is, that is their right and as they say "birds of a feather" etc.

Behind closed doors at moots I've been to, I don't agree with any of the White Supremest talk, so I've left and refused to associate with those who think that's ok. None of the few Drightens that embrace WS have ever spoken of such in public, that I know of.

Reality TV such as Duck Dynasty (long before this recent remark), Honey BooBoo, 90 Day Fiancé, The Bachelor, and a long list of others, are, IMHO absolute garbage that I personally would not allow my kids to watch (if still at home) as I think these all portray some rather dysfunctional morals and ethics. My reason for not liking Duck Dyn. prior to Phil's remark is it encourages people to kill ducks, not for food, but sport and trophy. The first episode (over a year ago) I saw 5-6 minutes some hunter said "...just for the beauty on my wall, the meat is greasy and tasteless" ...the last time I ever watched even a part of it.

Phil's, and many conservative Christian right, are of the opinion that only their opinion matters. They believe they are right because a bronze age book says they are, they are right because they have a sanctuary full of like minded people supporting their view, they are right because they have the Constitutional right to believe whatever they wish.....then they say they are being persecuted because the rest of us want them to shut up and keep it to themselves. They can't have it both ways, nor can I, but the difference is....I don't expect to have it both ways.

My best friend's brother told me some 20 years ago "I won't share the Word of God with you because if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal and eternal savior after I do, you are condemned to eternal damnation!" All I wanted to do was discuss our varied Beliefs. This is the same man who will go into bars and forcibly demand people take tracts, harass prostitutes on 9th street in Modesto so john's won't stop, has locked arms with members of his church preventing people from entering a gay nightclub...and if we summed up every Westboro type organization that forces their beliefs on others this post could be 20 pages long.

These are just the tip of the iceberg of what I see wrong with one approach over the other. Phil and the Conservative Right should be happy and content that they have it right, their souls are "saved" and stop worrying about what others believe...that is the biggest difference between what I believe and what they believe. His own son has said* if they didn't embrace their Dad's beliefs, they would have been kicked out of the family business...that is forcible Belief, not true Belief, if his kids were really told that.

Many Biblical scholars state the order to "go forth unto every nation" was a Pauline edict in order to spread the Christian message. That has been accomplished long ago and does not jive with modern day Rights of the people. Every Christian should be willing to share with those who ask and stop forcing the rest of us to convert or die, just ain't right.

I'm tickled to death to know I'm going to place a place in the cosmos where folks are free to believe what they wish...not because some human said I better believe as they do or burn for eternity in what I believe is some mythical lake of fire.

Blessings of Peace,

*posted in another forum

• Amulet locked this topic