Do You Believe In Reincarnation?

I don't think I believe in the normal concept of reincarnation as most people perceive it. I believe in consciousness being able to project and focus on multiple events in seemingly different time frames which may all be occurring simultaneously at times.

Hello Enkidu. I am very open minded when it comes to reincarnation. I cannot say I necessarily believe nor disbelieve, but I am open to the possibility. Reincarnation or transmigration, is an idea that has been popular in many world religions for thousands of years. The Greek philospher Plato wrote about it many times. It appeared to be popular among Greek and Roman philosophers. Reincarnation is a belief that is held mostly by eastern religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. Some pagan religions accept it as well. One example is Druidism.

Being a Christian myself, I know traditional Christianity does not accept reincarnation as credible. This is also true of the other two Abrahamic religions, Judaism and Islam. This is not to say reincarnation is totally absent in those religions though. The belief is accepted in the more mysical sects of these religions. Within Judaism reincarnation is an accepted belief among Hasidic Jews and those who practice the Kabbalah. Within Islam reincarnation is the belief accepted among Sufi Muslims. Within Christianity reincarnation was/is popular among many of the Gnostic groups.

There are some who argue reincarnation was an original Christian belief that was later expelled by the church. I'm not sure if I believe that, but there is some evidence to suggest reincarnation was a belief held by some early Christians. Origin was one of the early churches greatest theologians. He was a firm believer in reincarnation. His belief eventually got him excommunicated by the church. Certain New Testament passages suggest reincarnation as well. I will mention the two most popular. The first is Matthew 11:14. It suggests John the Baptist is the prophet Elijah who has returned. This verse could be referring to reincarnation. The next is John 9:2. In this verse the disciples ask Jesus, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” (New International Version). How could the blind man sin before he was born? This verse appears to be referring to reincarnation.

Like I stated earlier, I do not believe nor disbelieve in reincarnation. It is one of those areas that I do not believe offers enough evidence to suggest either way. That being said, I am open to the possibility of its existence. †?†

Edited by ReverendV

Hey Rev V. I was very impressed with your response. I like your open minded approach. I wish more people could think that way. It seems too many people believe things without researching them first. For many their faith is blind. I am looking forward to reading more of your responses.

Edited by Enkidu

I believe reincarnation is possible, but not that it is an automatic cycle of rebirths. I believe that it may be automatic for those whose belief systems teach them it is so. But once they realize there are other options they may free themselves from the merry-go-round and get off. I think we have the ability to choose to remain in the Otherworld with our ancestors, family, and friends if we wish rather than return here (or elsewhere) repeatedly. But again, I also believe we can decide to reincarnate if that is our wish. Once a soul realizes it has the ability to choose its own path, reincarnation is merely one option :) . (BTW, just as a reminder, I am a "Classic" Witch and not a Wiccan. For many Wiccans, reincarnation is indeed a major tenet of their religion.)

Edited by BelynMawr

Who really knows? It's the great mystery.

Modern Christianity claims exclusivity on knowing the Truth, but have not shown me how they can claim that above other religions.

Why did the Apostles entertain Jesus was someone reincarnated if it was completely settled back then? Didn't the varying sects of Jews at the time of Jesus' murder, have different ideas of the soul, life after death, God etc? That's not to mention what the entire world was thinking.

Too bad for Australian Aborigines who had to wait 1700 years for the trade marked truth to arrive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

No, reincarnation does not ever happen. Never has and never will.

The Soul and Spirit will never incarnate into another mortal body.

This is not to say that there are spirit obsessions or possessions as this does happen on a regular basis.

You seem very adamant that reincarnation does not exist. What makes you so sure it doesn't?

Absolutely! The Law of Karma dictates that no wrong may go un-righted. If atonement is not made in the same life in which the wrong is committed, the soul MUST return to rectify the wrong and/or heal those harmed by it's thoughts and actions. Only an act of true forgiveness may release a soul from it's karmic obligations. Souls may also return to assist another in paying their karmic debt. (An excellent example of this is recorded in the NT. When the Christ healed a man blind from birth. One of the disciples asked whether the man had been born blind to pay his debt or his father's. Jesus answered that it was neither... the man had been born blind to assist Jesus in His ministry by providing the Christ with an opportunity to perform the miracle.)

PS- Reverend V's response above gets my thumbs-up!

Edited by Songster

That doesn't seem like the blind man was paying some Karmic debt. It seems like he was blinded from birth and suffered just to make Jesus look good. What passage was this specifically. I can see how the disciple asking if it was his or his father's debt can give a certain impression. I would like to read it in its original context. Also I was not aware karma is a Christine doctrine, I had always thought it was Hindu/Vedic?

Edited by Stormbringer

It is certainly the minority view Stormbringer. Origen, one of the most famous of the early father, declared heretics centuries after his death for his belief in the pre-existence of souls an total universal reconciliation where even the,devil and his demons would one day be saved, believed in the possibility of reincarnation. Here's an article on scriptural support for reincarnation: http://reluctant-messenger.com/origen3.html

You seem very adamant that reincarnation does not exist. What makes you so sure it doesn't?

From Luke, a Celestial Spirit through the mediumship of James Padgett...

"There is no such thing as reincarnation, and all the theories and speculations of men upon that question, which conclude that a soul once incarnated can again become incarnated, are wrong, for the incarnation of a soul is only one step in its destined progress, from an invisible formless existence to a glorious angel or to a perfected spirit.

A soul in this progress never retraces its steps - it is always progress, though sometimes stagnation takes place - but continues as an individualized spirit until it reaches its goal in fulfillment of the Father's plan for the perfecting of His universe.

This is a subject that is difficult of treatment for several reasons, among which is the fact that we spirits, no matter how high our attainments, do not have the information in order to give a full and complete description of the soul and its qualities prior to its incarnation, and you mortals are not capable of comprehending the full truth as we may try to convey it to you."

Many other mediums have connected with the Celestial Spirits and stated the same fact, no reincarnation and in the spirit world no one knows anyone that has ever been reincarnated.

• Amulet locked this topic