Legal Paperwork For "handfasting Rite" Of Marriage

ManangCam

Just what are the legal requirements for a "Handfasting Rite of Marriage"? Someone posted a Handfasting rite on the forum, and after searching the information within the ULC I found that this has been explained. Since we are a non-denominational church, and I'm from California; just how do I justify a Handfasting Rite in one of the 58 counties of California.

Rev. Cam -

Handfasting is merely the ceremony and nothing more be done in California than filing the simple paperwork the County Clerk requires in the county the couple gets their license in.

THIS is the closest ceremony I can find to the one I am familiar with and have performed in Northern California. The only real difference in my ceremony is the holding of hands, crossed between facing bride and groom "X"'d, grooms right hand to brides right and left to left creating the Infinity symbol before "tying the knot"....the ceremony mentioned only has bride hold groom one hand as they stand. This is done prior to the placing of rings and after.

Hope this helps a bit.

Blessings of Peace,

Always keep in mind the distinction between the religious nature of the ritual/rite and the legal objective of the couple. Handfasting is religious rite/ritual, but the objective, most likely, is a legal marriage contract. The state doesn't care what ritual is used, or if there is a ritual. Handfasting, Wedding, Signing papers over coffee and Biscuits.. all the same to the state. They require paperwork and witnesses and timely Bureaucracy.

• Administrator

As said, if the ultimate goal is a legal marriage then you must follow the requirements found here. Those fine employees of the county recorders office will help you with the correct flow of paperwork.

The only thing required (found in the link above) is that "the parties shall declare, in the physical presence of the person solemnizing the marriage and necessary witnesses, that they take each other as husband and wife." So, as part of the ceremony you perform make sure that each of them specifically state that they take each other as husband and wife.

Good luck!

Rev. Cam -

Handfasting is merely the ceremony and nothing more be done in California than filing the simple paperwork the County Clerk requires in the county the couple gets their license in.

THIS is the closest ceremony I can find to the one I am familiar with and have performed in Northern California. The only real difference in my ceremony is the holding of hands, crossed between facing bride and groom "X"'d, grooms right hand to brides right and left to left creating the Infinity symbol before "tying the knot"....the ceremony mentioned only has bride hold groom one hand as they stand. This is done prior to the placing of rings and after.

Hope this helps a bit.

Blessings of Peace,

Would this be the same ceremony that I can use for a wedding set in the middle ages if called up to do one?

Rev.Cam

It is fairly close to most European/Nordic/Celtic ceremonies. If you researched "Middle Ages Marriage" you should be able to find something to start from and combine into a wonderful ceremony.

Don't forget to add into though what mdtaylor said about the wording above, that is important in our contemporary legal system.

Blessings Be,