Hymn (Song) And Artist

As a "no" denominational church we are asked to provide a wide

selection of musical hymns and songs (especially at funerals)

There are two songs that are requested frequently for funerals

...How Great Thou Art ...and Amazing Grace.....

We also have done spiritual retreats and we offer - again - depending on the

group, a wide sampling of church music (and sometimes not at all church music)

It is always good to invite the views of others to enrich our own.

Which hymn (song) do you find to be the most spiritual moving

(and if the artist makes the song - which artist(s) - are "the best" for that musical selection)

You choice can be traditional (the most requested variety we have) but maybe something

new and fresh is good for us to take a look at as well.

Thanks

Von

It depends on where the service is leading us, but one of my new favorites is "You are God Alone (Not a god)" by Billy and Cindy Foote © 2004 Billy Foote Music / Integrity's Hosanna! Music CCLI Song # 4243463. The message in the lyrics is great for services focused on Christian teachings that there is only one God, and we are not to follow Man-made deities.

Another by the same artist is "You are my King (Amazing Love)". © 1996 worshiptogether.com songs. CCLI Song #2456623. It has a similar message to Amazing Grace, without the funeral association many make.

I am biased towards both of these pieces because I sing them in Sign Language as part of my church worship team, while the other members of the team do English Vocals (I can't take credit for the idea. Sweet Honey in the Rock has been doing it for 40 years, now.) These songs have a powerful message that renders beautifully in the visual form that Sign gives it. Even non-signers often say they are moved by watching these songs signed.

They're not hymns, but several of the tracks from the Osibisa album Woyaya are quite spiritual and uplifting in tone. I'm thinking particularly of Woyaya itself

We are going, heaven knows where we are going,
We'll know we're there.

We will get there, heaven knows how we will get there,
We know we will.

It will be hard we know
And the road will be muddy and rough,

But we'll get there, heaven knows how we will get there,
We know we will.

We are going, heaven knows where we are going,
We'll know we're there

but also of Beautiful Seven and Spirit Up Above.

I have left instructions for Simon and Garfunkel's "Greatest Hits" album be played while the children and grandchildren sit around the table, drinking beverages of their choice and tell lies about what a wonderful person I am/was. Otherwise, I am to be cremated as soon as my body can be legally released for such purposes. No services, just Simon and Garfunkel, drinks and lies.

The funerals I usually conduct are for non-religious, unaffiliated families who don't want to bring in some pastor from an unknown church.

That doesn't necessarily mean they don't want some sort of spiritual service, so here are a few I've used over the years :

We’ll Meet Again - Vera Lynn

If We Ever Meet Again This Side Of Heaven - Johnny Cash

O Love That Will Not Let Me Go - Indelible Grace Music

One Sweet Day – Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men

When I Get Where I’m Going – Brad Paisley & Dolly Parton

And one of my personal favorites:

Circle of Life – Elton John

They are all "You-Tube-able" :mda: with lyrics.

P.S.

Btw, Al, I've added your violin solo to my already extensive list - that haunting tune has stuck in my head for days!

Edited by Dianna

• Amulet locked this topic