A Personal Philosophy Of Religion

"Death added nothing to the intellectual possession or to the spiritual endowment, but it did add to the experiential status the consciousness of survival."1
A Personal Philosophy of Religion
An idea is only a theoretical plan for action, while a positive decision is a validated plan of action. A stereotype is a plan of action accepted without validation. The materials out of which to build a personal philosophy of religion are derived from both the inner and the environmental experience of the individual. The social status, economic conditions, educational opportunities, moral trends, institutional influences, political developments, racial tendencies, and the religious teachings of one’s time and place all become factors in the formulation of a personal philosophy of religion. Even the inherent temperament and intellectual bent markedly determine the pattern of religious philosophy. Vocation, marriage, and kindred all influence the evolution of one’s personal standards of life.
A philosophy of religion evolves out of a basic growth of ideas plus experimental living as both are modified by the tendency to imitate associates. The soundness of philosophic conclusions depends on keen, honest, and discriminating thinking in connection with sensitivity to meanings and accuracy of evaluation. Moral cowards never achieve high planes of philosophic thinking; it requires courage to invade new levels of experience and to attempt the exploration of unknown realms of intellectual living.
Presently new systems of values come into existence; new formulations of principles and standards are achieved; habits and ideals are reshaped; some idea of a personal God is attained, followed by enlarging concepts of relationship thereto.
The great difference between a religious and a nonreligious philosophy of living consists in the nature and level of recognized values and in the object of loyalties. There are four phases in the evolution of religious philosophy: Such an experience may become merely conformative, resigned to submission to tradition and authority. Or it may be satisfied with slight attainments, just enough to stabilize the daily living, and therefore becomes early arrested on such an adventitious level. Such mortals believe in letting well enough alone. A third group progress to the level of logical intellectuality but there stagnate in consequence of cultural slavery. It is indeed pitiful to behold giant intellects held so securely within the cruel grasp of cultural bondage. It is equally pathetic to observe those who trade their cultural bondage for the materialistic fetters of a science, falsely so called. The fourth level of philosophy attains freedom from all conventional and traditional handicaps and dares to think, act, and live honestly, loyally, fearlessly, and truthfully.
The acid test for any religious philosophy consists in whether or not it distinguishes between the realities of the material and the spiritual worlds while at the same moment recognizing their unification in intellectual striving and in social serving. A sound religious philosophy does not confound the things of God with the things of Caesar. Neither does it recognize the aesthetic cult of pure wonder as a substitute for religion.
Philosophy transforms that primitive religion which was largely a fairy tale of conscience into a living experience in the ascending values of cosmic reality.2
I would be delighted for you to share your personal philosophy of religion/living.
Peace,
Rev. Bill
1 From Morontia Mota [ HERE ]

Important: The Urantia Book is in the public domain, and the original holder of the copyright, The Urantia Foundation, has granted permission to reproduce or copy the standardized English text without permission. TIN: UF-ENG-001-World-2009-0.19.SRT

Edited by williamsadler53

• 1 month later...

Unity is a wonderful concept, one I also believe to be of the highest order.

From the book The Last Great Initiate:

"To the soul which comes from heaven, birth is a death," Empedocles had said 500 years B. C. "However sublime the spirit be, once imprisoned in flesh, it temporarily loses the remembrance of all its past; once engaged in corporal life, the development of its earthly consciousness is subjected to the laws of the world in which it incarnates. It falls under the force of the elements. The higher its origin, the greater will be the effort to regain its dormant powers, its celestial innateness, and to become conscious of its mission."

This 'remembering' as it were, follows with Unity. Regardless of our individual origin, high, low or somewhere in between, regaining Unity between and with ALL is our primary goal. Some of us are very conscious about this, some not...but in the long run, it really doesn't matter does it? We'll still contribute what we are suppose to by Divine Will. Unity can not be separated from its purpose.

Blessings of Peace,

"To the soul which comes from heaven, birth is a death," Empedocles had said 500 years B. C. "However sublime the spirit be, once imprisoned in flesh, it temporarily loses the remembrance of all its past; once engaged in corporal life, the development of its earthly consciousness is subjected to the laws of the world in which it incarnates. It falls under the force of the elements. The higher its origin, the greater will be the effort to regain its dormant powers, its celestial innateness, and to become conscious of its mission."

This 'remembering' as it were, follows with Unity. Regardless of our individual origin, high, low or somewhere in between, regaining Unity between and with ALL is our primary goal. Some of us are very conscious about this, some not...but in the long run, it really doesn't matter does it? We'll still contribute what we are suppose to by Divine Will. Unity can not be separated from its purpose.

Blessings of Peace,

Feeling philosophic about Unity? Here's a thought for you. Why do we forget Unity? Why do we forget? Fear.

IMO

Feeling philosophic about Unity? Here's a thought for you. Why do we forget Unity? Why do we forget? Fear.

IMO

Like a lot of folks here, I've read so many "books" on the subjects of Spirituality, The Universe, metaphysics, religion, paranormal, philosophical and physical roles and places etc. it's sometimes difficult to remember which one said what....but, I do agree with you (and Fawzo) who routinely remind us about fear being humanity's motivator behind so many aspects of our Lives.

In one of those books mentioned above, I recall the author saying (paraphrased): that the numerous inhabited planets of sentient life across the Universe, each one has a base idealism/philosophy/emotion to teach us.

Perhaps Earth and it's particular role in the Universe is to teach fear?

I think it would almost be a sure sign of insanity to dismiss fear on this planet, we are inundated with it nearly every moment of our lives.

When I remember the truly hard core "fear instances" in my life, before and after it's so easy to think of how I'd do things differently. Yet, when in that moment, the pounding heart, muddle brain and rattled psyche, to remember to reach out with Love, well let's just say it hasn't happened so far. Maybe once I do so my purpose will be accomplished here??

The absolute worst feeling about fear is the helplessness a person feels. I think back to two (of several) situations; the drug crazed thug in my home in Willow Creek and the young punks pulling a grab and run home invasion, a year and a half ago, here. Under "normal" or "other" circumstances, perhaps I would have been on the ball enough to reach out with love, compassion and put unity above all else. But I didn't.

I allowed their actions to "make me forget" Unity, which may not be their fault, but was certainly their underlying intention. Yes, I allowed their intention to override my better sense of judgment, so I put these situations, and others, fully on Self as needing the work or remembering refresher. And therein lay the difference, imho.

Some folks will "blame" the person who caused a situation for all the emotional distress that comes along with intense emotional crisis (such as: home invasions, car accidents, robberies, illness, fights, etc etc) and not take responsibility for their own forgetfulness of Unity. But we truly can't speak for or help others now can we? All we can do is take each situation in life as it comes and apply our own understanding and sensibility to it.

I truly hope before my days are up here on Earth, I am able to remember Unity above all else...'cause one thing is for dang sure...I don't want to have and repeat the lessons taught on this fear filled planet!!

Blessings of Peace,

In one of those books mentioned above, I recall the author saying (paraphrased): that the numerous inhabited planets of sentient life across the Universe, each one has a base idealism/philosophy/emotion to teach us.

GREAT! JUST MY LUCK...

OF ALL OF THE POSSIBLE PLANETS IN THE UNIVERSE..... I GET "PLANET FEAR"

I'm sure everyone is already familiar with the Wiccan Rede, but here it is again, being the main part of my philosophy:

The Wiccan Rede

Bide the Wiccan law ye must,

In perfect love and perfect trust,

Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill,

"An ye harm none, do what ye will,"

Lest in thy defense it be,

Ever mind the Rule of Three,

Follow this with mind and heart,

For merry we meet and merry we part.

And meet again...

(Author of this verision unknown)

Edited by Gruffudd

Blessings of Peace,

I love your quote--but above all your answer. Thank you Al.

blessings,

Suzanne

Why do we forget? Because we have still far too much to learn--and things to work out, we are confused enough :crazyeyes: imagine if we knew and remembered all :derisive:

As for my religion--I will sum it up in one word: "compassion"--I feel if we have that, then we have unity, -for me that is the thread that ties all living things together. Animal,vegetable and probably mineral as well - imho.

blessings,

Suzanne

Like a lot of folks here, I've read so many "books" on the subjects of Spirituality, The Universe, metaphysics, religion, paranormal, philosophical and physical roles and places etc. it's sometimes difficult to remember which one said what....but, I do agree with you (and Fawzo) who routinely remind us about fear being humanity's motivator behind so many aspects of our Lives.

I think it would almost be a sure sign of insanity to dismiss fear on this planet, we are inundated with it nearly every moment of our lives.

When I remember the truly hard core "fear instances" in my life, before and after it's so easy to think of how I'd do things differently. Yet, when in that moment, the pounding heart, muddle brain and rattled psyche, to remember to reach out with Love, well let's just say it hasn't happened so far. Maybe once I do so my purpose will be accomplished here??

The absolute worst feeling about fear is the helplessness a person feels. I think back to two (of several) situations; the drug crazed thug in my home in Willow Creek and the young punks pulling a grab and run home invasion, a year and a half ago, here. Under "normal" or "other" circumstances, perhaps I would have been on the ball enough to reach out with love, compassion and put unity above all else. But I didn't.

I allowed their actions to "make me forget" Unity, which may not be their fault, but was certainly their underlying intention. Yes, I allowed their intention to override my better sense of judgment, so I put these situations, and others, fully on Self as needing the work or remembering refresher. And therein lay the difference, imho.

Some folks will "blame" the person who caused a situation for all the emotional distress that comes along with intense emotional crisis (such as: home invasions, car accidents, robberies, illness, fights, etc etc) and not take responsibility for their own forgetfulness of Unity. But we truly can't speak for or help others now can we? All we can do is take each situation in life as it comes and apply our own understanding and sensibility to it.

I truly hope before my days are up here on Earth, I am able to remember Unity above all else...'cause one thing is for dang sure...I don't want to have and repeat the lessons taught on this fear filled planet!!

Blessings of Peace,

When you say, to teach fear -- do you mean to make others fearful? That would be the essence of the Dark Path. I hope that is not Earth's function.

When you say, to teach fear -- do you mean to make others fearful? That would be the essence of the Dark Path. I hope that is not Earth's function.

Perhaps not the "Dark Path" per se, maybe more along the lines of showing us/giving the comparison between the Light Path of Unity and Love and the Dark Path of Fear and Hatred.

I totally realize everything eventually balances in the Universe. There are times when I think "it just can't get any worse here" and sure as heck it does, yet other times when I witness the revelations of love and compassion in everyday life. So no, I don't think the purpose is to "make others fearful" - rather to show us the two faces in a comparative manner so to speak.

Of course all speculation on my part...ya know...those silly things that zoom through our heads when we wonder!

Blessings Be,

• Amulet locked this topic