Really

lordie

A "free" education is a small price to pay to keep someone out of prison.

Its good to hear that you feel that way.... Can we send the bill to you? :)

Nothings free, even freedom.

Edited by Dan52

An educated convict is less likely to re-offend when released back into society. A "free" education is a small price to pay to keep someone out of prison. Personally, I don't think anything can possibly be "free" to someone who lives imprisoned.

I agree. It costs methinks approximately $35,000 a year to house them in corrections facilities might as well educate them and quite possibly make them useful to society. Did you see the article where Denmark is closing prisons because of a lack of criminals?

I agree. It costs methinks approximately $35,000 a year to house them in corrections facilities might as well educate them and quite possibly make them useful to society. Did you see the article where Denmark is closing prisons because of a lack of criminals?

That's it: the US can just ship American prisoners to Denmark and let Denmark house and educate them. After all, the prisons are already built and all. Why waste?

:Lighten::busted_cop::dunce::doh:

Consider for a moment ... What percentage of the American prison population has a high school level education even to start with? Many of the people that are getting their "free" education are actually getting their GED. Those that are working for a college degree are making themselves more marketable in the job market for when they do get out. Let us face it ... there are not a lot of chances for convicts out there depending on what they were in prison for in the first place. It would be difficult at best for them to compete with just a high school diploma or GED. Does it make me happy that the tax payers are paying for this? Not really. But there again ... we pay for children to get their "free" public education and the opportunity to go to college. I am curious what the cost of education for prisoners really is, and how many actually take advantage of this opportunity through the country?

Yes it is true our taxes pay for our children education . But i dont think it should pay for criminals who abuse children

On the question about prisoners well it cost 6500 a week i assume to house and feed them

Peace

Lordie

Well - if you start selecting which inmates can getthe educatin, then the schools could start saying that a kid is a bully and therefore not eligible for their education. Free for one needs to be free for all. This is a concept that America is now struggling with as so many are standing with their hands out looking for more.

As fr the cost estimate - I was considering the cost of education - not room and board. And I would not be surprised about the 6500, but as you say - you are making an assumption, and I have not looked up the info.

Consider people like myself who pay taxes but have no children. Is it fair to force me to pay for the education of other people's children? The truth is that taxation is inherently unfair. It exists to force people to pay for things they neither want nor need.

Bsawtelle and mererdog

First i think our taxes should go to school for our kids what school we choose . And our taxes shouldnt pay for the criminals in jail imagine a child molestor getting free college why his victim still suffers and struggles

Or a bully get to graduate and the victim dont

Tax is great if we use it right we have no choose in the matter .

I think criminal +bullies shouldnt get free stuff while their victims suffer . Maybe it is just me who sees it

Peace

Lordie

I was in county jail once, and got extremely sick. I asked for medical care, and a guard gave me a form. three days later, a nurse looked into the small slot of the cell block at me, said your fine, and walked away.

when i got out, my aunt complained about tax money going to all that great medical care for prisoners, because it had been in the news that prisoners cost x amount per year.

I would suggest that perhaps the free education isn't as good as it sounds, or perhaps the media may be misrepresenting the facts.

Sorry to hear about your illness cuchulain

I didnt mean to judge but if our tax pay for something like your medical care while in jail how come jail dont allow inmates help like yourself .

Peace get well

Lordie

Its good to hear that you feel that way.... Can we send the bill to you? :)

Nothings free, even freedom.

I would be willing to pay for the education myself if I had the money and if I could collect the savings that would come due for not having to have the person go thru the expensive legal system and wind up in prison again at a huge expense. It is not like the prisoners are going to the finest schools and living in wonderful dormitories. If the ex convict does not re-offend and remains out of prison, the price of educating the convict is quite small in comparison to housing him/her again.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan52 - you seem quite happy to pay the bill to keep them locked up, so I don't see how you can have an objection in principle.

Why are you so opposed to the idea of saving money by reducing the chances of them re-offending?

• Amulet locked this topic