Comparative: Book Of Enoch And Origins Of Asgaard

Enoch vs Odhinn

The ancient texts

Since Stormbringer brought up the Book of Enoch in another thread, I thought I would post a piece of a comparative analysis I did several years ago when I first read the Book of Enoch.

We often find similarities and references in all types of writing, both modern and ancient, but in our search for the origins of certain texts it gets even more frustrating due to the lack of availability of many codex, apocrypha and scrolls. For instance, the codex “Origins of Asgaard” noted below is kept from the public and available only to academics who must wait years to have a look at one of the Rune-Gilds most secretive texts.

I'm very torn by this. I firmly believe that our most “sacred runic texts” should be kept within the gild, yet at the same time, release of even one of these works would settle many questions throughout the academic world. The “Origins...” is one codex that does not contain any particular runic formula or “secrets” and baffles me as to why it remains so closely guarded. Only the last two sections in "Origins" touch on the rune-staves. I have had very limited access to it through my friend in Stockholm, head of the International Rune Gild...but I digress.

<<<Begin comparative texts>>>

Book of Enoch Chapter XVIII

(11)And I saw a deep abyss, with columns of heavenly fire, and among them I saw columns of fire fall, which were beyond measure alike towards the height and towards the depth. 12. And beyond that abyss I saw a place which had no firmament of the heaven above, and no firmly founded earth beneath it: there was no water upon it, and no birds, but it was a waste and horrible place. 13. I saw there seven stars like great burning mountains, and to me, when I inquired regarding them, 14. The angel said: 'This place is the end of heaven and earth: this has become a prison for the stars and the host of heaven. 15. And the stars which roll over the fire are they which have transgressed the commandment of the Lord in the beginning of their rising, because they did not come forth at their appointed times. 16. And He was wroth with them, and bound them till the time when their guilt should be consummated (even) for ten thousand years.'

CHAPTER XIX. (1)And Uriel said to me: 'Here shall stand the angels who have connected themselves with women, and their spirits assuming many different forms are defiling mankind and shall lead them astray into sacrificing to demons as gods, (here shall they stand,) till the day of the great judgement in which they shall be judged till they are made an end of. 2. And the women also of the angels who went astray shall become sirens.' 3. And I, Enoch, alone saw the vision, the ends of all things: and no man shall see as I have seen.

CHAPTER XX.

1. And these are the names of the holy angels who watch. 2. Uriel, one of the holy angels, who is over the world and over Tartarus. 3. Raphael, one of the holy angels, who is over the spirits of men. 4. Raguel, one of the holy angels who †takes vengeance on† the world of the luminaries. 5. Michael, one of the holy angels, to wit, he that is set over the best part of mankind and over chaos. 6. Saraqâêl, one of the holy angels, who is set over the spirits, who sin in the spirit. 7. Gabriel, one of the holy angels, who is over Paradise and the serpents and the Cherubim. 8. Remiel, one of the holy angels, whom God set over those who rise.

From the Codex “Origins of Asgaard” ca. 250-220 BCE, translation by Piers Bengtsson

Section IV “The Abyss”

Herjafoðr (Father of the Army- one of many names for Odhinn) came to a place where one day mighty battles would commence. Knowing well his advantages, as any father should, he sought what disadvantage may befall him. Upon the rise doth he saw fire within fire and smoke billowing from smoke as such that no heaven or land existed beyond it. Thus it had been for ten thousand years and would be for a time hence, longer still.

Beyond constrained sights he beheld, there was nothing, not even the emptiness of Gunningagap nor limitless darkness of Hel. There was a nothingness to this place as such not even Light or Dark, animal or mankind, dwarve or giant, god or goddess could be seen therein.

Between the smoke rise, yet not as far as Väfrlogi (wall of flames) there hung seven mighty stars in the heavens, but not heavens, and beings giving honor to the gods, yet not gods. In this place time revealed no measure nor day light nor night darkness. In this place even the mightiest and wisest were confounded as wot appeared before them.

Above the seven stars did hang a goddess, but not goddess, god, but not god, being but not being that held the secrets of this place. To Herjafoðr it commanded these words; I will call forth those whom thou shall command in times of thy absence, for the Great One may demand this more of thee than even ye shouldst know.

And might I also explain that while there exists in Asgaard the likenesses of these same beings, their reflection doth reside here in this place between worlds, just as the gods reside in the place between men's mortal hearts and ethereal minds. Knowst thou first how to keep their material form separate from their spirit form.

The first is Ödesdiger (Odhinn)(1) who rules over all, even thou, cunning Herjafoðr, knowst this well.

The second is Frismelda (Vòr), ruling the hearts of the wistful, wise and earthly alike

The third is Fredsson (Ull), enforcer of oaths by warrior, craftsman and god alike thus made.

The forth is Gildis (Forsetti), debater of morals and administrator of the Ancient Laws

The fifth is Dännar (Thor) ruler of mankind and chaos, defender of the righteous

The sixth is Tangakrökt (Loki) the deceiver and commander of fools

The seventh is Felfri (Balder) the one without fault who oversees the uprise of the good

Forever more upon the stars that wot hang between this world and the abyss is where ye shall find them at your bidding. Caution might I instill in thee that no god but Odhinn call upon these names. Should it be so, even unknowning, the End of Days shall be worse than Rägnarôk, the long awaited battle from which no god nor mortal can escape.

<<<end comparative text>>>

So which came first? By timeline the “Origins of Asgaard” was written somewhere mid 3rd century BCE and the Book of Enoch 2nd century BCE, therefor predates the Book of Enoch by roughly 100 years, give or take. Read it for yourself and I'm sure the similarities will astound you as much as they did me.

Even the most educated Nordic scholars are at odds about exactly when the Nordic seamen began to travel to places beyond what is now the UK, Spain and France. The exact period they reached such places as the Middle East is unknown.

However, when we find such striking similarities between stories, something acknowledged by all scholars as being gifted to the world by seafarers, there is little doubt some form of contact was made between the early Gnostics and Nordic seafarers.

In my mind, the only question that remains is this; Did the Gnostics give the Nordics the bit of the story above or did the Nordic tell it to the Gnostics?

What other comparatives have you found or are willing to contribute?

Blessings of Peace,

(1) This may also have been a sly work of kenning, where it was common for the story to give clues that something thought to be a deceit was known by the opponent or person being tricked. It was also used to let one character know the other was “on to him/her”.

(All refs) bracketed and in green I added to original text to give clarity for those not familiar with Nordic kenning and skalding. Odhinn is given somewhere along the order of 350 different names throughout the Eddas and other works. Other gods and goddesses have similarly been cross referenced having several titles or names assigned to them. This was prevalent in Nordic mythology.

In old Norse:

Ödesdiger = “omniscient one" or in this use "one on high”

Frismelda = “cold mixture”

Fredsson = son of peace and wool - “ull” is the traditional gift of/for peace

Gildis = to shine brightly, golden

Dännar = dän - thunder or to rumble

Tangakrökt = “bent tooth”, nickname for someone not telling the truth or trickster

Felfri = “without guilt”

• 4 weeks later...

Enoch is a most revealing book!

The comparison with “Origins of Asgaard” is intriguing.

What more do you know about the "world between the worlds" mentioned? Is the narrative considered to be factual, legendary, mythical, or what?

The seven gods mentioned at the end hold positions remarkably similar to those explained in The Urantia Book as held by "officials" in the staff of the Planetary Prince [Caligastia -- more or less the one known as the "Devil"].

Rev. Bill

• Amulet locked this topic