Welfare

lordie

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread gotten heated

Allow me to say why I started it because not enough people out there who need help knew or knows were to turn and they get teased and pick on no matter why what or were who they are or come from.

So many people out there do take advantage of the system .and so many don't get the benefits they deserve.

We don't realize how many suffer w out food or meds because we are too busy bickering about spelling or grammar or manners or the fact that our taxes pay for welfare. Really come on now!!

Being any religion we should stand up and help those in need and don't bicker about were why who .

And if you all realize our taxes not only goes to welfare but other programs that benefit welfare and ssi and ssd. Like job training

Ged. Counseling rape victims support housing elder abuse prevention child abuse prevention rides for people w disability.

We bicker about a lot of things .

With out knowledge of who what were and when. Instead of bickering be thankful of your life and the people in it the things you have.

Edited by lordie

When you pick a subject as this one you will get heated debate but that doesnt mean that we can not be grown ups about it which I think we have. From my experience it could have gone a lot worse than it has I am impressed once it gets to hot I usually will make my exit before it becomes more than just a friendly debate and more of a hate war but good subject and thanks for the good debate.

Â

my mom has copd. She can walk about fifteen feet before her pulse ox drops to about 80. She worked for over 20 ears as an RN, but it came to a point that SHE COULDN'T WORK. you can make broad, generalized statements very well, but the fact is this. There are indeed people who cannot work. period. My mom is one of those. You can get upset about that if you want to, its your right to spew out whatever crap you want, but when you flat out say something that isn't true, someone might point it out, and guess what? arrogance doesn't equal correct.

and those are the people who deserve it that is what I am saying. I would also point out that everything that just came out of your mouth is crap list some of the untruth please. I have been to the food stamp office and seen and talked to people. Yes there are a few individuals who need the assistance and that is not who I am talking about but if you put those few to the many who don't its not evan in weight. Instead of coming on here and talking crap cause that is what you just did how about you explain yourself and quit getting butt hurt.

Â

Edited by Assassin

And to me that is what is for people that are actually disabled or are having a hard time due to not making enough at work or just being laid off and I know from experience that soldiers do not make nearly enough for the job they do. I was a Tanker and I didn't make enough to me to die for that being said I would lay my life down for my country any day.

Â

my mom has copd. She can walk about fifteen feet before her pulse ox drops to about 80. She worked for over 20 ears as an RN, but it came to a point that SHE COULDN'T WORK. you can make broad, generalized statements very well, but the fact is this. There are indeed people who cannot work. period. My mom is one of those. You can get upset about that if you want to, its your right to spew out whatever crap you want, but when you flat out say something that isn't true, someone might point it out, and guess what? arrogance doesn't equal correct.

Instead of unrelated people paying for those in need, I see relatives bearing their responsibility and the costs. If it is unfair to the family, it is egregiously unfair to those who are unrelated. If it is not the responsibility of the relatives, how can it belong to anyone else.

The concept of society is just the expansion of the concept of family, stretched and diluted to its extreme. If the concept of family and its corresponding responsibility is eliminated,then society itself collapses. Society cannot replace family.

In programming terms Family is the class of objects that is extended to form the class Society. Society is dependent on Family, not the other way around.

assassin, you said WORD FOR WORD (the stuff I call crap) "really in todays economy and the way the hiring process is set up it doesn't matter if you disabled or any other excuse you can think of you can find a job". Go back a few posts and read the CRAP you wrote. I was responding that NOT ALL DISABLED PEOPLE CAN WORK. That is crap. And so, in response to your request that I list some of the untruths, there you go. It is simply untrue that everyone can work no matter what. Deal with it.

The deal is everybody free loading off the government I am tired of paying or supporting their way of life. I work at a job that at anytime I can get stabbed,beat,and not come home to my family while a person with a made up disability that just wants that mailed check sits at home that he or she pays 30 dollar rent with government assistance and gets hundreds of dollars of food from the government and probably sells so they can pay utilities or that new car they got sitting outside so I really don't care about how you view my post and if you are butt hurt about it sorry but there is a plus side to all of this and it is you will get over it I know I am.

it is crap, you said, word for word, that EVERYBODY could get a job, so now you are saying there are differences? Is it the first, or second, because you don't seem to be able to communicate effectively. If you really believe that anyone who wants a job can get one, then you are WRONG. If you don't really believe that, then you WERE WRONG when you said exactly that.

in a side note, what the heck does butt hurt mean??? :cowboy: never heard that one

I am on SSD and would give up both legs for a decent job. I worked for 30 years and then Life took an unexpected turn with a near fatal accident to put me in my place. I went from 10-14 hour working days to: I'm lucky if I can finish washing a sink full of dishes: literally overnight. If it weren't for my payments into SocSec over my working career, I'd be living slowly dying at the homeless camp over by the creek near where we live.

The other thing I've not seen mentioned here is: (yes I understand the topic is WELFARE not SSD - but some of it does apply- many people need Welfare (nearly instantly) while waiting for Soc Sec Disability (18mos to 3 years wait for approval)

While you don't have to disclose any previous injuries or disabilities when applying for a job, wait and see what happens as soon as they do find out. Not one single company out of over 30 that I disclosed my disability to while applying even called back with a yea or nea, the other 40 some odd I didn't ask anything about my being on SSD and at the handful of 2nd interviews I was asked if I had any "infirmary" that would preclude me from lifting, sitting etc etc for any period of time. (It's their way around employment discrimination laws)

So Welfare and Disability are not black and white, clean cut, either or situations for everybody.

While there is no doubt there are many people who abuse the system, it would be catastrophic not to have it available for those of us who don't. You have no idea how many times I've thanked myself for the extra few $ I had put into Soc Sec while working (usually $15-20 per pay period) it has made all the difference now.

There a lot of good points being made here, but please, once AGAIN, let's keep it civil. Just because one person or another doesn't agree with a point being made, does not mean the other is stupid, dumb, ignorant, a jass ack or otherwise....ifn's y'all can't find a middle ground, just agree to disagree...ok???

Blessings of Peace,

Al

*and on this note, severe, crippling pain due to a recent procedure (May 2014) is why I haven't been around as much as usual....and oh in case anyone wants to expand on that....yes, most of the medical costs were covered by MediCare/Cal so I'm grateful I only owe a few thousand dollars....but, as was said above...when a person is barely making it ...a few thou$and might as well be millions...if they're lucky, they'll have the co-pay 50% paid by the time I croak...if I make it 85!

I cannot look into the hearts of other men. I must do what I believe to be right and not focus on what others are doing. If one breaks the law, then one should pay. I am not the law nor a mind reader. When I see things that I believe are not right I report it or let it go. I cannot make judgement on anyone who is on welfare or SSI or SSD or any other government supplemental program. I can only know for sure my own situation. For those who are interested, I worked until I was 62 and retired because I was not physically able to continue working. My only income is my Social Security and a very, very, very small pension.

Edited by Brother Kaman

I am on SSD and would give up both legs for a decent job. I worked for 30 years and then Life took an unexpected turn with a near fatal accident to put me in my place. I went from 10-14 hour working days to: I'm lucky if I can finish washing a sink full of dishes: literally overnight. If it weren't for my payments into SocSec over my working career, I'd be living slowly dying at the homeless camp over by the creek near where we live.

The other thing I've not seen mentioned here is: (yes I understand the topic is WELFARE not SSD - but some of it does apply- many people need Welfare (nearly instantly) while waiting for Soc Sec Disability (18mos to 3 years wait for approval)

While you don't have to disclose any previous injuries or disabilities when applying for a job, wait and see what happens as soon as they do find out. Not one single company out of over 30 that I disclosed my disability to while applying even called back with a yea or nea, the other 40 some odd I didn't ask anything about my being on SSD and at the handful of 2nd interviews I was asked if I had any "infirmary" that would preclude me from lifting, sitting etc etc for any period of time. (It's their way around employment discrimination laws)

So Welfare and Disability are not black and white, clean cut, either or situations for everybody.

While there is no doubt there are many people who abuse the system, it would be catastrophic not to have it available for those of us who don't. You have no idea how many times I've thanked myself for the extra few $ I had put into Soc Sec while working (usually $15-20 per pay period) it has made all the difference now.

There a lot of good points being made here, but please, once AGAIN, let's keep it civil. Just because one person or another doesn't agree with a point being made, does not mean the other is stupid, dumb, ignorant, a jass ack or otherwise....ifn's y'all can't find a middle ground, just agree to disagree...ok???

Blessings of Peace,

Al

*and on this note, severe, crippling pain due to a recent procedure (May 2014) is why I haven't been around as much as usual....and oh in case anyone wants to expand on that....yes, most of the medical costs were covered by MediCare/Cal so I'm grateful I only owe a few thousand dollars....but, as was said above...when a person is barely making it ...a few thou$and might as well be millions...if they're lucky, they'll have the co-pay 50% paid by the time I croak...if I make it 85!

which brings up a critical point. Even though, in theory, many disabled people can work, if properly accommodated by their employers, it is very difficult to find someone interested in taking on the hassle of accommodating them. And, since umemployment is positive, they generally don't have to. They may, if the person has specific skills that are hard to find, but that is not a common situation. It is not really that common that people won't work.

Atwater, That is much the same type of story as my wife. She would rather work, but with their various issues..she has "good days" and "bad days". It took 3 years and a federal judge before she got SSDI. For myself, I am already sitting at 90% VA disability rating (while still on Active Duty mind you) and I haven't even had everything evaluated yet.

cuchulain - no worries, yours weren't the worst so hang in there and we all appreciate your usual informative and thought out responses.

Dorian - "Rather work" has been my buy-line since a teen, it's always been the easier scheme in Life. There are thousands (if not more) of stories like that of your wife, or me, you...it encompasses a LOT of people as I'm certain you are well aware..."rather work" sounds comforting to many employers but the eagerness of an individual to work vs. the headaches of taking on someone with chronic issues just doesn't "pay off" to them in the long run. At least one employer, when I was actively seeking work, was honest with me..."I'd love to have your skills here for me at (XYZ, Inc.) but our Workman's Compensation insurance carrier will not cover you due to your previous injuries"

The other side to this terrible issue of "Welfare" is young mothers who have no experience so are mostly limited to minimum wage jobs. Anyone who has raised children knows even decent pay checks 2-3 even 4 times "minimum" have a hard time making it today. One young lady of a couple I've given pastoral counseling to did what was best for her kids (3yrs and 10 mos) when laid off from her job, went on Welfare. The money was about the same but the medical benefits for her kids made it even better than a job paying 50% more than minimum. Medical coverage is a big deal especially for kids and seniors.

Nope no easy split down black and white lines...there are many gray areas in welfare, soc sec and other forms of public assistance. The bottom line for all of them is if so many people did not cheat the system, every program would be solvent for a long time to come.

Blessings of Peace,

Edited by Atwater Vitki

• Amulet locked this topic